Performance Results Dyno sheets, Timeslips, Track Records, Who has the Fastest C5 Corvette?

Long tube headers too loud?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 03:55 PM
Iron Maiden Fan
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the shorty headers worth doing, or would the long tube ones be the best move on a stock motor/exhaust and blackwing?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
90 droptop
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Maiden Fan
Are the shorty headers worth doing, or would the long tube ones be the best move on a stock motor/exhaust and blackwing?

Long tubes all the way.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:54 PM
charlieb
Instructor

Default Corsa w/Bassani LTH

First mod was Corsa Pace with x pipe, sounded good, but not "good enough". Next was Basanni LTH and High flow cats. Now it's music to my ears. No noticable diff with easy driving (my wife), but when I'm at the wheel and get on it, the noise is better (louder), but not objectionable. No (none at all) in cabin resonance at any speed!! Had a dyno with just Corsa stuff and got 310 rwhp. Haven't been back yet, can't decide on waiting to finish intake mods, but I would like to see just the headers diff. It sure feels like more "kick".
Old 02-08-2005, 04:40 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I should have mentioned that my experience comes from my '98 SS that was cammed, FLP long tubes with an exhaust cutout. When I put the OR pipes on, I gained just over 2-rwhp and the noise sounded like a stock car (I loved it!!). I don’t see how I could drive around on the street like that for more than a week without getting pulled. Keep in mind that is a 112-LSA cam through LT headers to and exhaust dump just before the rear axle. I know of another guy with a stock Trans Am that gained 2-rwhp when he gutted his stock cats on what was essentially a stock car. The smell of gas from the exhaust wasn’t great with the cam, but was 10X worse without the cats in place.
Perhaps doing this on a Y-body nets a better gain? It is still not worth the potential $1,000 fine from the local LEO or for me to fail emissions and not be able to drive my car on public streets.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Chrispy
Pro

My 385ci motor made 466 RWHP with cats removed and tuning.

Added dual 3inch carsounds (high flowing) and made ~450RWHP.

I have seen similar results on my other combos as well. ~16-18RWHP.

That being said I still ran traction limited 11.0s at ~127mph through the 1/4 with cats on the car fully emissions legal. (3600 pound raceweight)

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube headers too loud?

Quick Reply: Long tube headers too loud?