Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

HDR Photography

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 01:49 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 837 Likes on 396 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

While I have seen some very nice photo's here in this thread, I was wondering just how you accomplished them and do you have the original photo prior to applying the HDR?. Such as did you use the HDR feature in the camera? Did you process the pictures in a computer software application? I know with my Nikon D5100 I can either use the HDR built feature, of the bracketing of three picture that the camera will take in three different exposures and then run them through a program called Photomatix Pro. With this program I can see the before and after and it give me multiple examples of different processing looks.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:50 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I haven't played with HDR myself but I'm interested. It would be cool if posters could say if the HDR image is done by the camera alone or in post processing on a computer. It would also be cool if an untouched photo of the same subject could be posted with the HDR photo, for comparison.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,126 Likes on 922 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15,'22,'23,'24

Originally Posted by BWF07
While I have seen some very nice photo's here in this thread, I was wondering just how you accomplished them and do you have the original photo prior to applying the HDR?. Such as did you use the HDR feature in the camera? Did you process the pictures in a computer software application? I know with my Nikon D5100 I can either use the HDR built feature, of the bracketing of three picture that the camera will take in three different exposures and then run them through a program called Photomatix Pro. With this program I can see the before and after and it give me multiple examples of different processing looks.
Originally Posted by Frodo
I haven't played with HDR myself but I'm interested. It would be cool if posters could say if the HDR image is done by the camera alone or in post processing on a computer. It would also be cool if an untouched photo of the same subject could be posted with the HDR photo, for comparison.

I'm no accomplished HDR Photographer but I have some experience with it. I have never done in camera HDR as I never want the camera doing the processing for me on my photos that I really want to keep/showcase (I also never shoot in JPEG either for the same reason). That said I have used most of the programs available including Photomatix, HDR EFex, Lightroom (HDR Merge) and Photoshop (layer blending). Each has their strength, but IMO if you honestly want a realistic rather than a "painterly/overprocessed" look the simplest way to do it is just use Lightroom HDR Merge.

The image below was all done in Lightroom. It is a simple set up that consists of just (3) RAW images taken at "Middle Exposure" then a +2 and -2 Exposure compensation. Form comparison the first image is the "Middle Exposure", I nolonger have the +2 and -2 shots but you get the idea.

The following 3 users liked this post by Nitro-C5:
realvc (04-13-2020), savewave (12-07-2019), SK '08 (05-03-2020)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 AM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I took a few HDR night shots the last time we were in London. I hadn't done any prior. A little more practice will likely yield nice results.

The following users liked this post:
realvc (04-13-2020)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:42 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

HDR is a great tool, but very easy to overdo. The first one is one of my car as an example. Perhaps borderline overdone and I tend to like the non-HDR version better in this case. The second photo from a trip to Barcelona worked out better.

The following 4 users liked this post by CrystalRedTed:
AJP03CoupeNJ (12-26-2019), Grzldvt1 (12-27-2019), realvc (04-13-2020), savewave (12-07-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 01:09 AM
CrystalRedTed
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 122 Posts

One more from a club event

The following 2 users liked this post by CrystalRedTed:
realvc (04-13-2020), savewave (12-07-2019)
Old 12-05-2019, 05:32 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Thanks, Nitro. Remarkable results you got for your effort. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:49 AM
Markm10431
Parrothead

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

I used photomatix and Lightroom
Old 12-25-2019, 07:58 AM
AJP03CoupeNJ
Racer

Received 87 Likes on 30 Posts

Navesink Twin Lighthouse Highlands NJ....shot with Nikon D5500 and edited with Photomatix Pro

The following users liked this post:
realvc (04-13-2020)
Old 12-27-2019, 07:37 AM
Grzldvt1
Le Mans Master

Received 636 Likes on 342 Posts

I never let my camera do post processing/HDR bracketing, but saying that, it does. I have an older PentaxK10D that is a CCD processor, ie it does some imaging work, but nowhere near what the current CMOS cameras do. I shoot RAW/JPEg. JPEGS get post processed. CCD versus CMS is like politics, and not a road I will go down.
I have experimented with HDR, going from +1, -1, to +3, -3 on exposures. On my current Pentax K10D +1, -1 works the best, with +1.5, -1.5 being so close it is borderline.
I use Picturenaut. A few moons ago I spent big bucks on HDR software, and found little to no difference with Picturenaut and what I purchased. Your experience may vary

Last edited by Grzldvt1; 12-27-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:12 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I recently attempted an HDR to make up for my lack of....a lot of things at the time....fast enough lens namely, but really wanted to capture sky and the Vegas background while ATTEMPTING to get enough of the truck to make the photo balanced. The end result was....ehhhhh...ok. The issue here was, if I exposed the truck, the sky and Vegas background would've been lost big time. I took the photo in three pieces essentially. I exposed the truck, then the city background, then the sky at various levels then HDR composed it in PS. Came out.......o.....k....but....needed light on the truck for fill to really get it done. Gotta bring the Z06 up there sometime but...it's black and well....we'll see.

This next I did to show the lighting I'd added to our Las Vegas off roadin rig. Fender mounted angled LED's and a front facing bumper bar LED, combined with rocks lights for overhangs, etc. I again took a number of photos...one exposing the lighting around the truck, then other exposing various layers of background.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 05-02-2020 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: HDR Photography