Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

Purchasing PHASE 1 Capture 1 PRO 12, backup for LR5

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 08:16 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default Purchasing PHASE 1 Capture 1 PRO 12, backup for LR5

Since they started the new money making scheme of RENTING you software in the vendors controlled "creative" cloud, I have been looking around for a backup and eventually replacement of my LR5, as a standalone, I want to continue to purchase a DVD, own the license and purchase future upgrades without PAYING a monthly rental fee. . Now with the upcoming release of the new Nikon D6, along with several on new cameras from Nikon (Mirrorless, and P1000), and other vendors new models, LR5 does not support many of the newer cameras .RAW. formats. FORCING you to either rent or use what you got. I WILL NOT RENT SOFTWARE, as I do not trust any vendor providing me a very costly monthly internet service to process my work and making me be part of a creative cloud.

So I have been looking at PHASE 1, Capture 1 Pro12. Does anybody have any experience with this software and could you give me your opinion or experience you have if you used or own this software. Appears to be very similar to LR5 but seems to be more powerful and faster. When Adobe was selling you the software, I drank the Kool-Aid for Adoble Lightroom, and Photoshop (I use both to process), and now Adobe does NOT sell you software, you rent it, or as they like to say, you subscribe to their service and "Creative Cloud". This is a set up, it is expensive, and makes you as a photographer dependent upon the internet and them. Please looking for your input. Thank you,

Last edited by 1KULC7; 12-16-2019 at 08:26 AM.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:23 PM
Dueysan
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Capture 1 Ver 12. They just came out with Version “20” but I feel no need to upgrade but as a new user it costs no more than the older version. It is an extremely powerful RAW editor. I highly recommend it. I also have some experience with Skylum Luminar which is not bad but I would choose Capture One over it. Put your time learning either and you can get amazing results. I shoot exclusively Sony mirrorless so my Capture 1 license cost me a one time fee of $109 and remember to shoot RAW if you plan to edit using any of these programs.

Last edited by Dueysan; 12-29-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:51 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Will this except the RAW format from the Nikon Coolpix P-1000? This is why I would like to purchase it, as my LR5 and Photo Elements do not accept the P-1000 RAW format, does not recognize the format. The subscription to Adobe "Creative Cloud" does have this upgrade, but i rather not subscribe.

Nice to hear its a very good application, need to replace or backup the LR5 as this is getting data, and Photo Elements does not really do as well with Nikon RAW formats, take a long time to load. Appreciate you input.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:43 PM
dryadsdad
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts

I have a friend whose photography opinion I trust. He's sold on Capture 1 in a big way. He says it blows ACR away.

While I remain victimized by Adobe's rental plan, and will stay there, I've moved to DxO for my RAW processing.

Get notified of new replies

To Purchasing PHASE 1 Capture 1 PRO 12, backup for LR5

Quick Reply: Purchasing PHASE 1 Capture 1 PRO 12, backup for LR5