Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

Help me decide on a camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:43 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Help me decide on a camera

Guys, I am totally new to this so I need you to bear with me.

I'm very interested in getting into photography as a hobby, and maybe just a small side venture if I get good later on.

My main interest is photographing landscape, by which I typically mean distance shots. And by distance, I'm guessing much of my subject material would be in the 10-20 mile range. However, I would like to be able to take pictures of sunsets and moon rises with some degree of clarity. By that I don't mean I want to be able to make out Tranquility Base in my photos, just have the moon be round and reasonably in focus.

I'm on a budget so I'm looking used. My ideal price range is right around $300. I could probably go $500, but that would sting for something that is just a hobby at this point. I've kind of been looking around CL for some used stuff. I know a lot of people (including me) have invested a lot of money in things, then turned around and sold something that was like new for half of the price invested.

I don't know much of anything about photography yet, and I'm very much a "hands on" kind of learner. I'm asking here because I need someone with experience to break it down to idiot level information. Please keep it KISS. You start talking about why Widget 2.0 is better than Thingamabob 5x and my eyes are going to start glazing over.

I'm not opposed to buying something decent now that may not be ideal, but a good tool for me to learn with, then upgrade later. So my initial purchase doesn't have to be the best long term option. I don't even know if this is something I want to do that much yet.

With that said, here are a couple of ads I've found I'm considering. I would like to buy something soon but I also don't want to rush. If it's a good deal, then great. If I can do better, I'll wait. Please give me some feedback and suggestions.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pho/...112179808.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/e...118498964.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/p...118268576.html

Old 05-05-2020, 11:35 AM
duckvett
Safety Car

Received 940 Likes on 475 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2018 C6 of Year Winner

I hope some of the more experienced photographers come into the conversation to help you decide. The only advice I have for you is in line with your KISS guidelines. I own a Nikon D80, I have always had Nikon, so obviously I like Nikon. Go with the Nikon D70. you can step up later and purchase even better lenses.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:12 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

If you are really seriously interested in photography, it might pay you to buy a course from National Geographic called "The Great Courses." Personally, I would recommend a full frame camera. You're going to get the best photos from this type. I've owned numerous Canons and Nikons. They're pretty much equal in quality, but I prefer Canons.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:33 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,126 Likes on 922 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15,'22,'23,'24

I responded to your post and gave suggestions when you put this question up in the Off Topic Section.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:57 PM
Markm10431
Parrothead

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09,'13, '14

Go to Best Buy. or a real camera shop if you can find one.
Handle the cameras, look at how the menus/controls work
Buy what feels right for you
I had Canon film cameras loved the way the felt (AE-1, A-1) HATED the controls on the DSLRs
picked up a Nikon D80 and loved how intuitive the ***** and buttons were laid out and minimal screwing with menus.

went to the Prosumer level Nikon after the, the D-7100 again great controls. I picked up a D-5200 to mod for Astro, and I HATE that thing.
EVERYTHING I want to tweak is in a menu. my next Nikon will be in the prosumer /pro category assuming they don't screw with the controls

Get notified of new replies

To Help me decide on a camera

Quick Reply: Help me decide on a camera