Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

Anyone going to the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2020, 12:06 AM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,126 Likes on 922 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15,'22,'23,'24

Default Anyone going to the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta...

I have that week off from photographing people so wanted to go down and try out some new gear and photograph this race for the day. Anyone else in here going and/or photographing this event? I have worked with Drag Racing for several years, but interested in getting some Sports Car shots in my portfolio.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
I have that week off from photographing people so wanted to go down and try out some new gear and photograph this race for the day. Anyone else in here going and/or photographing this event? I have worked with Drag Racing for several years, but interested in getting some Sports Car shots in my portfolio.
I wish I was going. Still upset they moved WGI this past weekend to Road Atlanta (WGI I have yearly tickets for). I have gone in the past and there are good places to take pictures around the entire track. I was actually surprised how close they let me get without credentials (other tracks I have been to you need credentials to have any chance of a good pic - COTA being one of them). The track is big with elevation changes. I had a golf cart to get me to places quicker. If you dont have a golf cart then I would plan places ahead of time to be more efficient.

Places that I liked - infield of turn 1 you capture the turn and the slight uphill. Infield of 5, 6 and part of 7 you can get close to the track without obstruction plus slowest part of the track so good opportunity to work on blurring the background while keeping he car in focus. Outer part of the track at turn 12. It is on top of a hill so you can see them coming down the into turn 12 (a bigger lens is required here). 10a and 10b are also cool as they are coming in fast. Ok I like the whole track lol.

The best part of photographing sports cars, unlike 1/4 mile racing, is they come back within a few mins so you get many chances to take another pic and experiment.

here are a few pics. I would love to go back as I have learned so much since these were taken.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,126 Likes on 922 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15,'22,'23,'24

Very nice photos, thank you for sharing your tips! I was going to bring 27-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a 60-600mm 5.6. Of those focal length which range do you feel you shot the most and do you think bringing the 24-70 would even get used? Its a 10 hour race so I will be there for awhile. I was going to bring those 3 lenses and (2 full frame bodies), backpack and folding chair/stool. Anything else that you feel would be a necessity?

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I wish I was going. Still upset they moved WGI this past weekend to Road Atlanta (WGI I have yearly tickets for). I have gone in the past and there are good places to take pictures around the entire track. I was actually surprised how close they let me get without credentials (other tracks I have been to you need credentials to have any chance of a good pic - COTA being one of them). The track is big with elevation changes. I had a golf cart to get me to places quicker. If you dont have a golf cart then I would plan places ahead of time to be more efficient.

Places that I liked - infield of turn 1 you capture the turn and the slight uphill. Infield of 5, 6 and part of 7 you can get close to the track without obstruction plus slowest part of the track so good opportunity to work on blurring the background while keeping he car in focus. Outer part of the track at turn 12. It is on top of a hill so you can see them coming down the into turn 12 (a bigger lens is required here). 10a and 10b are also cool as they are coming in fast. Ok I like the whole track lol.

The best part of photographing sports cars, unlike 1/4 mile racing, is they come back within a few mins so you get many chances to take another pic and experiment.

here are a few pics. I would love to go back as I have learned so much since these were taken.

Old 09-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
Very nice photos, thank you for sharing your tips! I was going to bring 27-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8 and a 60-600mm 5.6. Of those focal length which range do you feel you shot the most and do you think bringing the 24-70 would even get used? Its a 10 hour race so I will be there for awhile. I was going to bring those 3 lenses and (2 full frame bodies), backpack and folding chair/stool. Anything else that you feel would be a necessity?
Thanks

I looked back and they were taken with Nikon D750 using 70-200 2.8 for the majority of pictures (95%). Turn 1 I was between 80-105. Turns 5, 6 and 7 I was between 110-140. Turn 12 I used the 200-500 as it was on top of the hill shooting down. Based on this I dont think you will use the 24-70 too often, but you could get some cool landscape pics from standing on the hill of turn 12.

Here is a tip that may or may not help, but figure I would share. Years ago I challenged myself to take pics as good as professional photographer Jamey Price who shoots Nikon and posts his settings. After 1000s of pictures I was able to achieve his settings, but to do this I changed my entire panning style. The major change was changing my focus to a single point and making sure that single point is always on the front tire (front tire is pretty constant on all the sports car even the Delta wing was close). My logic here was if I could stay locked on the tire then I was ensured that I matched the speed of the car which is crucial for panning and getting that blurred background and a crisp picture. Additionally if I was locked onto the tire it also meant I was being more stable with my shot (not moving up and down). Making this change (plus some others) I have gotten my shutter speed down to 1/25 to create some cool looking pics.

I do adjust my focus point forward so I capture the entire car in the frame and either up or down depending on what I want the background/foreground to look like.

1/25

1/60

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 09-11-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:53 PM
wayneinvirginia
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Default Tickets for Petit LeMans to sell!

We received our tickets for Petit LeMans today. Unfortunately we are not going to be able to attend. I have two four day super tickets as well as a Corvette Corral parking pass. I'd like to sell the whole package for $180. Even if you don't need the corral pass you are still ahead and all parking is in the infield for this race. Payment can be made via PayPal and I'd send the tickets via USPS Priority Mail at my cost. If anyone is interested please send me a private message.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:20 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Moved to Vegas from Ga in 2018...lived like 20min from the track...man I DO miss Road Atlanta, I will say. Had some great times there. RMC Photog....some SERIOUS shots there...very nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone going to the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta...

Quick Reply: Anyone going to the Petit LeMans at Road Atlanta...