Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

You ever buy a lens you are not thrilled with?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2023, 05:51 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 88 Posts

Default You ever buy a lens you are not thrilled with?

I am in that boat now. Bought a sigma recently and i just don't see the hype. This sigma i bought and am not satisfied with. Sigma may be out for me from now on. Ive always had good luck with native nikon and sony, i even love the tamrons i have purchased but sigma has been a fail for me.

my buddy even tried a sigma prime and was not satisfied.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:07 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,087 Likes on 909 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
I am in that boat now. Bought a sigma recently and i just don't see the hype. This sigma i bought and am not satisfied with. Sigma may be out for me from now on. Ive always had good luck with native nikon and sony, i even love the tamrons i have purchased but sigma has been a fail for me.

my buddy even tried a sigma prime and was not satisfied.
I have owned several of the Sigma Pro (ART) lenses over the years and zero issues, also had their 60-600 Sports Lens no problem there either. That said, I would be interested in your thoughts and feedback. Could you provide abit more detail like which lens you owned, what was the issue you were having and/or how did it not live up to its expectations?

I would really have to think about it but I don't really recall being disappointed with a particular lens...though I have bought lenses that I never used nearly as much as I thought I would and therfore was abit disappointed (in myself).
Old 11-25-2023, 10:22 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
I have owned several of the Sigma Pro (ART) lenses over the years and zero issues, also had their 60-600 Sports Lens no problem there either. That said, I would be interested in your thoughts and feedback. Could you provide abit more detail like which lens you owned, what was the issue you were having and/or how did it not live up to its expectations?

I would really have to think about it but I don't really recall being disappointed with a particular lens...though I have bought lenses that I never used nearly as much as I thought I would and therfore was abit disappointed (in myself).
it is the 100-400 DG DN OS Contemporary and i just find it soft. It isn't as sharp as i like. I know it is the most “budget” zoom but i bought it to try my hand at wildlife. But even when i am at 100mm and take pics of still objects it just doesn't seem to have the sharpness i am used to with my native sony lenses and i look back at pics taken years ago on my nikon d90 with a nikkor lens and while those files are smaller they still have that tac sharp quality i like.

what kills me is all the reviews on it were good but now knowing what i am looking for i see the same softness in pics taken by others with same lens.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:28 PM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,087 Likes on 909 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
it is the 100-400 DG DN OS Contemporary and i just find it soft. It isn't as sharp as i like. I know it is the most “budget” zoom but i bought it to try my hand at wildlife. But even when i am at 100mm and take pics of still objects it just doesn't seem to have the sharpness i am used to with my native sony lenses and i look back at pics taken years ago on my nikon d90 with a nikkor lens and while those files are smaller they still have that tac sharp quality i like.

what kills me is all the reviews on it were good but now knowing what i am looking for i see the same softness in pics taken by others with same lens.
I have never owned that lens, but I am familiar with it. To your point it is supposed to be a sharp lens. Do you perform a focus adjustment with your lens (using a calibrated target)? I ask because (as I mentioned earlier) I have never had an issue with a Sigma lens....but I have had to do micro focus adjustments for all of my lenses and Sigma were (on the whole) the most "off" compared to the native Canon Lenses. You can do an in body focus calibration and also use Sigma USB Dock as well. If you are off but just abit with a long lens and you are shooting wide open you are sometime going to see a softer image due to a slight "miss focus". If you have performed the calibration successfully you might want to return to Sigma for service.

As I am sure you know, it is difficult to a 3rd party lens to be dead on nuts accurate as the native lens...but Sigma makes some really excellent lenses and if it is really soft I think you may have other issues as mentioned previously.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:10 AM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
I have never owned that lens, but I am familiar with it. To your point it is supposed to be a sharp lens. Do you perform a focus adjustment with your lens (using a calibrated target)? I ask because (as I mentioned earlier) I have never had an issue with a Sigma lens....but I have had to do micro focus adjustments for all of my lenses and Sigma were (on the whole) the most "off" compared to the native Canon Lenses. You can do an in body focus calibration and also use Sigma USB Dock as well. If you are off but just abit with a long lens and you are shooting wide open you are sometime going to see a softer image due to a slight "miss focus". If you have performed the calibration successfully you might want to return to Sigma for service.

As I am sure you know, it is difficult to a 3rd party lens to be dead on nuts accurate as the native lens...but Sigma makes some really excellent lenses and if it is really soft I think you may have other issues as mentioned previously.

i will look into that. did not know about it.
The following users liked this post:
Nitro-C5 (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 01:22 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

just for S&G i was experimenting a bit and turned off the lens stabilization and the images seemed cleaner/sharper. i have to try this out in the world a bit more but that may be the trick for me. i will report back when i have more conclusive evidence.
Nitro-C5 (11-26-2023)
Old 11-26-2023, 11:31 PM
GoldRose85
Drifting

Received 1,320 Likes on 744 Posts

I am/was a sport shooter and bought a Canon 135 F2. I was planning on using it for basketball after reviews on FM.
I used it twice in two games and found out it was too long for our gyms,
Tried it one day with a friend that shoots glam and we found it was too sharp.Used it a total of three times and it has been sitting
in my closet since then.
Iotal waste and I'd like to get rid of it because I haven't used it in 10 yrs or more !
Nitro-C5 (11-27-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To You ever buy a lens you are not thrilled with?

Quick Reply: You ever buy a lens you are not thrilled with?