Photography The section to share and discuss photos you took and talk about camera gear.

sharpness vs composition vs noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 10:26 AM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 184 Likes on 88 Posts

Default sharpness vs composition vs noise?

which would you give on if you had to? because i have seen great composition images that lack sharpness and they are still okay. i have seen stunningly sharp images that are blah with composition and they are okay. i am somewhat ok with noise because i understand that in low light it will just be there and you have to deal with it if you want the shot at all.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:40 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

Being sharp and in focus does nothing if the photograph is not enjoyable to look at.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:56 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 235 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

So......a couple of examples I have where I can't tell if the soft focus is a problem with the auto-focus or because of the weather and subject. But......regardless, I still am drawn to them.

The following users liked this post:
Nitro-C5 (02-13-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 10:10 AM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,087 Likes on 909 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

I agree with what others have said. To that point I like to contrast the difference between something that is a "sharpness" issue vs. a "focus" issue. To that point I have many photos that I think are pretty good but not really that sharp due to potentially several reasons (soft lens, atmospheric haze, poor post processing techniques, extremely high ISO then softening too much)...but (for me anyway) if I miss focus I always delete.

Although sharpness is important, IMO the subject matter is significantly more important. A less sharp photo of "something" is better than a crystal clear shot of "nothing"

Below is probably one the best examples I can think of as an example. It not is a sharp image but off the charts significant.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:05 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 880 Likes on 465 Posts

My photograph of a wolf caught in a snow storm on the first post in the Wildlife sub section is an example of where softness actually helps an image.
Old 02-16-2024, 07:49 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,392 Likes on 1,650 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I think it really depends on what your photographing and what your doing it for. If im shooting for a high end client on an automotive shoot it better be tack sharp where it needs to be. If I'm shooting a landscape for myself its not nearly as important.

Get notified of new replies

To sharpness vs composition vs noise?

Quick Reply: sharpness vs composition vs noise?