CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Mounting A Rear Spoiler for 78 Pace Car (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/1343642-mounting-a-rear-spoiler-for-78-pace-car.html)

dtoddp 03-23-2006 03:18 PM

Mounting A Rear Spoiler for 78 Pace Car

I recently picked up a Rear Spoiler for my 1978 Corvette Pace Car - it is a take-off from another Vette (in very good condition). Anyway, my question is quite simple - is there some kind of 'gasket' or 'seal' that is supposed to go between the rear spoiler and the body or does the spoiler just mount directly on the body? Does anyone have any kind of recommendations in this area?

Thanks.
DTP

KapsSA 03-23-2006 05:19 PM

Nope, no seal or gasket. Just bolt it on.
Mike

7T9Shark 03-23-2006 08:00 PM

no-o-o-o-o, don't spoil the otherwise clean, flowing, undulating lines of a c-3 with a spoiler. Such a violation of an otherwise timeless design should be punishable by locked out secondaries, or a "time out" of some sort........ Call someone on the forum if you ever get this urge again. ;)

Jeff78 03-23-2006 08:15 PM

Like Mike said, no gasket or seal.

KapsSA 03-23-2006 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by 7T9Shark
no-o-o-o-o, don't spoil the otherwise clean, flowing, undulating lines of a c-3 with a spoiler.

I kinda agree, even tho I have 2 Vettes with the spoilers. Seems he needs it for a Pace Car, so what can you do....

blctalon 03-23-2006 11:07 PM

I am also interested in how it mounts to the body. I have a 78 silver anniversary with a spoiler on it and it seems to be kind of wobbly like it needs to be tightened.

77 vette 03-23-2006 11:34 PM

I put one on my 77, I had gaps between the spoiler and body surface that I didn't like, it also would ride hard on some of the body edges, I know this will not help you but I found some black 1" wide x .10" thick neofren (spelling) rubber type tape that we use on widebody aircraft flooring, It's fuel resistant so you can spill gas on it with out destroying it, it's super sticky so I had to lay it down right the first time, I installed it under the spoiler with the edges of the tape aligned with the spoilers edges (it didn't stick out the spoiler just filled the gaps) it filled all the gaps, cushioned the ride areas and helped make it look alot better, you might be able to find some thing like it.

GaryS 03-24-2006 12:03 AM

Is this for looks and personal preference? The lines on a PC are pretty cool without modding them up. Just my opinion.

77 vette 03-24-2006 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by GaryS
Is this for looks and personal preference? The lines on a PC are pretty cool without modding them up. Just my opinion.

For me it was personal preference, I respect and understand your opinion but for me I just like it better :)

jester4 03-24-2006 10:39 AM

Go for it! I have the front and rear spoilers on my '78, and I think that they look great. I just removed mine for a body-off, and there was no gasket under there. Bubba had installed it with some HUGE holes for the studs in the body. I guess he missed a couple of times (like 10 times!!). If you could find something, install a gasket or seal of your own just so that it keeps the dust and grime from getting under the spoiler and collecting there. Under my spoiler was a huge mess of mud and grime. I always wondered why the back of the car had dirt streaks when I washed the car, now I know.

dtoddp 03-24-2006 11:54 AM

Thanks!!

Yeah, well the Pace car must be restored to its "factory glory" for it to be worth anything - spoiler and all - besides I think it looks pretty cool with the spoiler!! Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I'm kinda new, and this is a new project, so I'm starting to get a feel for everyone. Think I should start posting pix for everyone to watch??

DTP

dtoddp 03-24-2006 11:55 AM

When I bolt mine on, I can tell you how to tighten it!