C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounting A Rear Spoiler for 78 Pace Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM
dtoddp
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting A Rear Spoiler for 78 Pace Car

I recently picked up a Rear Spoiler for my 1978 Corvette Pace Car - it is a take-off from another Vette (in very good condition). Anyway, my question is quite simple - is there some kind of 'gasket' or 'seal' that is supposed to go between the rear spoiler and the body or does the spoiler just mount directly on the body? Does anyone have any kind of recommendations in this area?

Thanks.
DTP
Old 03-23-2006, 05:19 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Nope, no seal or gasket. Just bolt it on.
Mike
Old 03-23-2006, 08:00 PM
7T9Shark
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

no-o-o-o-o, don't spoil the otherwise clean, flowing, undulating lines of a c-3 with a spoiler. Such a violation of an otherwise timeless design should be punishable by locked out secondaries, or a "time out" of some sort........ Call someone on the forum if you ever get this urge again.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:15 PM
Jeff78
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Like Mike said, no gasket or seal.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:32 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T9Shark
no-o-o-o-o, don't spoil the otherwise clean, flowing, undulating lines of a c-3 with a spoiler.
I kinda agree, even tho I have 2 Vettes with the spoilers. Seems he needs it for a Pace Car, so what can you do....
Old 03-23-2006, 11:07 PM
blctalon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also interested in how it mounts to the body. I have a 78 silver anniversary with a spoiler on it and it seems to be kind of wobbly like it needs to be tightened.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 PM
77 vette
Racer

I put one on my 77, I had gaps between the spoiler and body surface that I didn't like, it also would ride hard on some of the body edges, I know this will not help you but I found some black 1" wide x .10" thick neofren (spelling) rubber type tape that we use on widebody aircraft flooring, It's fuel resistant so you can spill gas on it with out destroying it, it's super sticky so I had to lay it down right the first time, I installed it under the spoiler with the edges of the tape aligned with the spoilers edges (it didn't stick out the spoiler just filled the gaps) it filled all the gaps, cushioned the ride areas and helped make it look alot better, you might be able to find some thing like it.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:03 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Is this for looks and personal preference? The lines on a PC are pretty cool without modding them up. Just my opinion.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 AM
77 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryS
Is this for looks and personal preference? The lines on a PC are pretty cool without modding them up. Just my opinion.
For me it was personal preference, I respect and understand your opinion but for me I just like it better
Old 03-24-2006, 10:39 AM
jester4
Instructor

Go for it! I have the front and rear spoilers on my '78, and I think that they look great. I just removed mine for a body-off, and there was no gasket under there. Bubba had installed it with some HUGE holes for the studs in the body. I guess he missed a couple of times (like 10 times!!). If you could find something, install a gasket or seal of your own just so that it keeps the dust and grime from getting under the spoiler and collecting there. Under my spoiler was a huge mess of mud and grime. I always wondered why the back of the car had dirt streaks when I washed the car, now I know.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:54 AM
dtoddp
7th Gear

Default Thanks!!

Yeah, well the Pace car must be restored to its "factory glory" for it to be worth anything - spoiler and all - besides I think it looks pretty cool with the spoiler!! Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I'm kinda new, and this is a new project, so I'm starting to get a feel for everyone. Think I should start posting pix for everyone to watch??

DTP
Old 03-24-2006, 11:55 AM
dtoddp
7th Gear

When I bolt mine on, I can tell you how to tighten it!

Get notified of new replies

To Mounting A Rear Spoiler for 78 Pace Car

Quick Reply: Mounting A Rear Spoiler for 78 Pace Car