CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   New B&M shifter vs. MTI 6-shooter (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1471043-new-b-and-m-shifter-vs-mti-6-shooter.html)

robz 08-13-2006 08:16 PM

New B&M shifter vs. MTI 6-shooter

I'm planning on swapping out the Hurst for either the New Ripper or the new 6-shooter by MTI. I've heard good things about both of these shifters. Can anyone compare either of these 2 to the Hurst as far as:
effort
throw
notchiness
etc..
I'm looking for something with a slightly longer throw than the Hurtst for extra leverage but with the positive feel it gives you.
Thanks,
ROB

MY1STPEWTER 08-13-2006 11:31 PM

I've got the new B&M Precision shifter, not sure if that's the one your talking about. The model number is 45044 I think. I used the stock shifter with 1 inch cut off originally and then decided to go with this one. I know alot of people really like the Hurst shifter but all the issues I was hearing about with the noise and vibration made me go with the B&M. The throw is 33% shorter and no noise or vibrations. I've been very pleased with it so far.:thumbs:

robz 08-14-2006 09:08 AM

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the input.

lloaf 08-14-2006 09:19 AM

Concur with my1stpewter. Went same route.

01vetter 08-14-2006 10:38 PM

I installed the new B&M and it has a much shorter throw than stock. However, with the loss of mechanical advantage you will feel more notchiness. That is the price you pay for the shorter throw.

The feel is very solid with little play, more positive, mechanical The front to back effort isn't much different than stock (except for the notchiness). However, 5-R does take more effort - it isn't to bad. At times I engage 5th by shifting to neutral, briefly releasing the shifter, give it a little slap to the right and up you go. Speed shifting is great!

morepower 08-14-2006 11:27 PM

I've done Hurst, then new B&M and now the MTI. I like the MTI the best of the three. Hurst shifts great but too much rattle. The B&M had no rattle but I had problems power shifting 1st - 2nd. The MTI has the feel of the Hurst but a bit less effort. No problem power shifting but I do get a small amount of rattle under full power pulls. (FYI - I also replaced the two shifter mounting base rubber gromets with the hard plastic bushing from the Z06. Not sure what effect this has on the transmission of noise through the shifter.)

robz 08-15-2006 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by morepower
I've done Hurst, then new B&M and now the MTI. I like the MTI the best of the three. Hurst shifts great but too much rattle. The B&M had no rattle but I had problems power shifting 1st - 2nd. The MTI has the feel of the Hurst but a bit less effort. No problem power shifting but I do get a small amount of rattle under full power pulls. (FYI - I also replaced the two shifter mounting base rubber gromets with the hard plastic bushing from the Z06. Not sure what effect this has on the transmission of noise through the shifter.)

Cool, someone who had all 3. Thanks for the input.
So compare the length of throw between the 3.
The MTI has less effort because it is a longer throw?
What shifter would be best for drag racing IYO?
Any more input would be appreciated.
Thanks

gorillavet 08-15-2006 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by morepower

I have had all three as well. There is really no compairson between Hurst, B&M and the MTI Six Shooter. Think of a stock shifter that is lower with shorter throws and you have the Six Shooter. No noise and really not notchy. The best of all worlds IMHO.

lloaf 08-15-2006 12:28 PM

I have found that the B&M requires less effort as it breaks in. Also, one man's "notchiness" may be another man's "precision". If you are looking to improve smoothness, try Royal Purple formulation--it works.

93Polo 08-15-2006 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by lloaf
I have found that the B&M requires less effort as it breaks in. Also, one man's "notchiness" may be another man's "precision". If you are looking to improve smoothness, try Royal Purple formulation--it works.

:iagree: I did not care for the Hurst as it did not give me any feel but liked my B&M ripper.