C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New B&M shifter vs. MTI 6-shooter

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 08:16 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Default New B&M shifter vs. MTI 6-shooter

I'm planning on swapping out the Hurst for either the New Ripper or the new 6-shooter by MTI. I've heard good things about both of these shifters. Can anyone compare either of these 2 to the Hurst as far as:
effort
throw
notchiness
etc..
I'm looking for something with a slightly longer throw than the Hurtst for extra leverage but with the positive feel it gives you.
Thanks,
ROB
Old 08-13-2006, 11:31 PM
MY1STPEWTER
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the new B&M Precision shifter, not sure if that's the one your talking about. The model number is 45044 I think. I used the stock shifter with 1 inch cut off originally and then decided to go with this one. I know alot of people really like the Hurst shifter but all the issues I was hearing about with the noise and vibration made me go with the B&M. The throw is 33% shorter and no noise or vibrations. I've been very pleased with it so far.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:08 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Yes, that's the one. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:19 AM
lloaf
Instructor

Concur with my1stpewter. Went same route.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:38 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

I installed the new B&M and it has a much shorter throw than stock. However, with the loss of mechanical advantage you will feel more notchiness. That is the price you pay for the shorter throw.

The feel is very solid with little play, more positive, mechanical The front to back effort isn't much different than stock (except for the notchiness). However, 5-R does take more effort - it isn't to bad. At times I engage 5th by shifting to neutral, briefly releasing the shifter, give it a little slap to the right and up you go. Speed shifting is great!
Old 08-14-2006, 11:27 PM
morepower
Instructor

I've done Hurst, then new B&M and now the MTI. I like the MTI the best of the three. Hurst shifts great but too much rattle. The B&M had no rattle but I had problems power shifting 1st - 2nd. The MTI has the feel of the Hurst but a bit less effort. No problem power shifting but I do get a small amount of rattle under full power pulls. (FYI - I also replaced the two shifter mounting base rubber gromets with the hard plastic bushing from the Z06. Not sure what effect this has on the transmission of noise through the shifter.)
Old 08-15-2006, 09:56 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by morepower
I've done Hurst, then new B&M and now the MTI. I like the MTI the best of the three. Hurst shifts great but too much rattle. The B&M had no rattle but I had problems power shifting 1st - 2nd. The MTI has the feel of the Hurst but a bit less effort. No problem power shifting but I do get a small amount of rattle under full power pulls. (FYI - I also replaced the two shifter mounting base rubber gromets with the hard plastic bushing from the Z06. Not sure what effect this has on the transmission of noise through the shifter.)
Cool, someone who had all 3. Thanks for the input.
So compare the length of throw between the 3.
The MTI has less effort because it is a longer throw?
What shifter would be best for drag racing IYO?
Any more input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 PM
gorillavet
Drifting

Originally Posted by morepower
I have had all three as well. There is really no compairson between Hurst, B&M and the MTI Six Shooter. Think of a stock shifter that is lower with shorter throws and you have the Six Shooter. No noise and really not notchy. The best of all worlds IMHO.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:28 PM
lloaf
Instructor

I have found that the B&M requires less effort as it breaks in. Also, one man's "notchiness" may be another man's "precision". If you are looking to improve smoothness, try Royal Purple formulation--it works.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:52 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 385 Likes on 330 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by lloaf
I have found that the B&M requires less effort as it breaks in. Also, one man's "notchiness" may be another man's "precision". If you are looking to improve smoothness, try Royal Purple formulation--it works.
I did not care for the Hurst as it did not give me any feel but liked my B&M ripper.

Get notified of new replies

To New B&M shifter vs. MTI 6-shooter

Quick Reply: New B&M shifter vs. MTI 6-shooter