CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   knocking on floorboard (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1614878-knocking-on-floorboard.html)

chemten 02-03-2007 02:08 AM

knocking on floorboard

i noticed a knocking sound recently coming from the front of the floorboard when driving. i can feel an almost pulse with the sound of something underneath the deadpedal like there is contact. this only happens when i go over large bumps under about 20mph, not under turning or on the highway. anyone else experienced this before?

i have installed z51 sways and noticed the clearance of them in the front above the lower control arm in the front is pretty small. could this be it?

Mel 2001 02-03-2007 03:42 AM

Did you notice the knocking right after you installed the Z51 sway bars?If so you may want to remove it and install the original to verify.

gota07 02-03-2007 05:35 AM

I added the Z51 sway bars on my coupe and don't have any knocking on the floor. Mine were dealer installed.

chemten 02-04-2007 08:46 PM

well the knocking is still there with the original sway bars back on so i know it's not that. the z51s are back on and i'll be taking a trip to the dealer tomorrow. hopefully it's something simple for them to fix.

thatdood 02-04-2007 08:49 PM

Let us know what the find....

cthusker 02-04-2007 09:32 PM

If you didn't torque the sway bars properly you can get some very strange clunks when going over bumps! If you didn't use a torque wrench that's most likely your problem..... Go back and check they were properly torqued. :thumbs:

chemten 02-05-2007 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by cthusker (Post 1558818108)
If you didn't torque the sway bars properly you can get some very strange clunks when going over bumps! If you didn't use a torque wrench that's most likely your problem..... Go back and check they were properly torqued. :thumbs:

good thinking. i'll have to recheck that. i do have a torque wrench and checked them, however, it was awkward since they have the hex bolt in the middle.

codename Bil Doe 02-05-2007 01:55 AM

Got the knocking, too. I haven't touched my sways yet (stock Z51). we'll see what it is as long as the dealer doesn't say it's the exhaust. Knocking came on couple weeks ago and exhaust was installed 4 days ago.

cthusker 02-05-2007 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by chemten (Post 1558820394)
good thinking. i'll have to recheck that. i do have a torque wrench and checked them, however, it was awkward since they have the hex bolt in the middle.

That's exactly the spot where they can "CLUNK" if not properly torqued. The alleged mechanic that did mine (me) didn't do it right the right the first time and that’s how I know! ... :rofl: