C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knocking on floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:08 AM
chemten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default knocking on floorboard

i noticed a knocking sound recently coming from the front of the floorboard when driving. i can feel an almost pulse with the sound of something underneath the deadpedal like there is contact. this only happens when i go over large bumps under about 20mph, not under turning or on the highway. anyone else experienced this before?

i have installed z51 sways and noticed the clearance of them in the front above the lower control arm in the front is pretty small. could this be it?
Old 02-03-2007, 03:42 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Did you notice the knocking right after you installed the Z51 sway bars?If so you may want to remove it and install the original to verify.
Old 02-03-2007, 05:35 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I added the Z51 sway bars on my coupe and don't have any knocking on the floor. Mine were dealer installed.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:46 PM
chemten
Racer

well the knocking is still there with the original sway bars back on so i know it's not that. the z51s are back on and i'll be taking a trip to the dealer tomorrow. hopefully it's something simple for them to fix.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
thatdood
Burning Brakes

Let us know what the find....
Old 02-04-2007, 09:32 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

If you didn't torque the sway bars properly you can get some very strange clunks when going over bumps! If you didn't use a torque wrench that's most likely your problem..... Go back and check they were properly torqued.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
chemten
Racer

Originally Posted by cthusker
If you didn't torque the sway bars properly you can get some very strange clunks when going over bumps! If you didn't use a torque wrench that's most likely your problem..... Go back and check they were properly torqued.
good thinking. i'll have to recheck that. i do have a torque wrench and checked them, however, it was awkward since they have the hex bolt in the middle.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 AM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Got the knocking, too. I haven't touched my sways yet (stock Z51). we'll see what it is as long as the dealer doesn't say it's the exhaust. Knocking came on couple weeks ago and exhaust was installed 4 days ago.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 AM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 91 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by chemten
good thinking. i'll have to recheck that. i do have a torque wrench and checked them, however, it was awkward since they have the hex bolt in the middle.
That's exactly the spot where they can "CLUNK" if not properly torqued. The alleged mechanic that did mine (me) didn't do it right the right the first time and that’s how I know! ...

Get notified of new replies

To knocking on floorboard

Quick Reply: knocking on floorboard