CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Anyone have a LuK Pro Gold Clutch w/ aluminum flywheel? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/1955413-anyone-have-a-luk-pro-gold-clutch-w-aluminum-flywheel.html)

97C5driver 03-01-2008 12:57 AM

Anyone have a LuK Pro Gold Clutch w/ aluminum flywheel?

Anyone have this setup with the aluminum flywheel? If so, how has it been performing for you and how do you like it?

I just had this setup installed in my stock 97 and it feels good right now but curious as to how it will hold up. My last clutch was stock and lasted 40k with only 1 auto-x on it and a few spirited runs and burnouts.

Anyway, after spending wayyyy to much money for this clutch and install, Im going to drive this thing like an old woman.

Gray Ghost GS 03-01-2008 07:32 AM

IMHO, I had this setup and the LUK clutches (OEM) for the LS1/LS6 are junk and the OEM LS7 clutch isn't much better if you plan to push it hard on the track. If your car is stock then it may last longer. There are much better options out there. If you're primarily concern is price then check out the Centerforce Dual Friction 12" clutch #DF395010 at JEGS. Mike

vettenuts 03-01-2008 08:10 AM

I think Cobra4B has this setup, might check with him.

ArKay99 03-01-2008 10:01 AM

My buddy BLACKTOP2000 has this setup. We did the install ourselves and there is one gotcha. You have to adjust the spring after it's installed or it will slip with about 100ft/lbs of torque. It's easy to do but you have to be aware of it. We weren't and had to put it back on the lift, take the headers down, pull the inspection cover and tweak it...

Impressions of it. Stock feel and engagement. It's a pleasure to drive after I drive my SPEC 3. He s running 434rwhp/404rwtq and no slippage in almost 2 yrs and about 20k miles. He is also known to give it a blast now and then.

The only problem he has with it, and this is common with the stock clutches, is it sticks if he takes it over 6700rpm's. He has done the turkey baster fluid change numerous times with limited success. He is now contemplating changing to a different clutch.

If you are mostly stock and have a stock rev limit, or keep it to ~6500rpm's you should be ok, IMHO. Just break it in easy.

RobWilson 03-01-2008 11:35 AM

I went with the Luk Pro Gold and Fidanza aluminum flywheel after my heads/cam setup killed my stock clutch (3 years ago). I'm running the same clutch on my 402 with no problems. I have used it for open road racing, the Texas Mile, and ran it down the 1/4 mile a couple of times. I've been very happy with it.

97C5driver 03-01-2008 02:33 PM

Well it sounds like I will be good to go then. I don't drag race so thats not a concern. The engagement feels nice and easy. Hopefully I can squeeze more than 40k out if this one.

What is the proper break in for a new clutch?

rustyguns 03-03-2008 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by AlohaC5 (Post 1564340669)
IMHO, I had this setup and the LUK clutches (OEM) for the LS1/LS6 are junk and the OEM LS7 clutch isn't much better if you plan to push it hard on the track. If your car is stock then it may last longer. There are much better options out there. If you're primarily concern is price then check out the Centerforce Dual Friction 12" clutch #DF395010 at JEGS. Mike

do you use this clutch? :bigears know anyone else that has used this clutch too? :flag:

good for road racing? :D