CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Corvettes and drifting (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2015084-corvettes-and-drifting.html)

TMyers 11-15-2008 12:20 AM

Nothing wrong with drifting. Just another form of motor sport. I would think the biggest hinderance to drifting a vette would be find the correct tire compound. Most Vette tires tend to be on the sticky side leave youwith the A/S goodyears. And at basically $400 a tire that would be very expensive unless you have a sponsor. Of course anyone that autocrosses regularly goes though a set or 2 of tires a year.

torquetube 11-15-2008 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by avizandum (Post 1565305177)
Personally, I think drifting is goofy; but to each his own. I'm not a fan of drag racing, but I respect the fact that others are...

Drag racing is as goofy, if not goofier, than drifting.

(I accept that power-slide competitions have come to be known as "drifting," but that's not really what "drifting," originally meant).

nitromt 11-15-2008 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by smokeymctire (Post 1565300591)
I am a hardcore drift fan and have watched numerous drift races. Not once have I seen a Corvette in a professional drift race. My dad bought a 2007 z51 convertible that I will be able to drive when I get my driver's license in two years. Once I inherrit it I would like to tune the car for track drift racing but since I never see any Corvettes drifting, I'm starting to wonder if there is something in the Corvette that prevents it from being a good drift car. It seems like the Corvette would be ideal for professional drift racing, it has RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, is very aerodynamic, and has a lot of horsepower and torque. Is there some technological flaw in the Corvette that makes it unable to drift like Vipers, 350zs, 240sxs, Lancers, Imprezzas, Camaros, and all of the other cars that are commonly used for drifting?

You should watch some Saudi Arabian drifting. They're pretty good. By good, I mean crazy and reckless.

There was this one video on youtube where this guy was fleeing from the police and drifting through city streets while doing so. LMAO.

Andy3000 11-15-2008 02:20 AM

there was already two drifting around right now. I know that and both are zo6 so i would say do it if you want but parts will be expensive.

luderiffic 03-07-2009 07:32 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjqJRNsKkao

Here is a pretty cool video of a vette drifting

GreySteele06 03-07-2009 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by luvlake (Post 1565303465)
If you had to work and pay for a 50+K car and $400.00 per tire you might think twice before you slide it around a track.....

:iagree: Plus... probably need to learn to drive SAFELY before you start making mod plans for crazy driving techniques... however a boy can dream.. you may have shown your dad your hand though, hell probably think twice before throwing you the keys. :eek:

hardcore4sure 03-07-2009 08:11 PM

Conrad Greenwald uses a Maggie powered Red ZO6 in Formula D, it is BAD ASS 4sure, If you do you tube search for corvette drift you will see at least a couple including 1 of the VETTE vs. VIPER drift

vetteuphoria 03-07-2009 08:40 PM

:thumbs: Yes, we need to see more vettes drifting. We've got Vipers and Mustangs drifting--and actually winning against imports--and vettes would add GREAT competition. As for it being a Japanese motorsport, sure, they get the credit for aknowledging it as such and formalizing it in competition, but kids here in the states have been doing that for decades--it just wasn't regarded as a sport back then :lol:

Originally Posted by luderiffic (Post 1569207257)

I would love to see more of that :thumbs: Corvettes would rule :cheers:

(and son, I was tuning imports since 1980 before the "import scene" got popular here--it was just a poor man's extension of musclecar building in the time of the oil crisis :lol:)

Marc V. 03-07-2009 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Richard John (Post 1565302216)
Perhaps by the time you inherit your fathers Corvette you'll have drifited into maturity and will have second thoughts.

Originally Posted by slacker1201 (Post 1565300697)
Corvette owners are just more mature to do that to their cars.:D

:iagree:

JLB768 03-07-2009 09:49 PM

Sounds like the kid can't wait for his pop to check out :D

dvilin 03-07-2009 09:52 PM

:thumbs: Great video.

GHWelles 03-07-2009 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokeymctire (Post 1565300591)
IMy dad bought a 2007 z51 convertible that I will be able to drive when I get my driver's license in two years. Once I inherrit it I would like to tune the car for track drift racing

This sounds like a really BAD idea.:crazy:

hardcore4sure 03-08-2009 01:36 AM

Yea thats him, I guess his name is Conrad Gruenwald not Greenwald. Anyway watching it live is really awesome, as soon as I get out of my financial funk I will be joining him in a vette. Drifting is so much fun but takes alot of skill. Most of the guys who call it stupid probably couldn't do it without hurting their prosthetic hips or over loading their pacemakers:lol:

MJC611 03-08-2009 03:21 AM

In my 61 yrs. I have tried many mood enhancing drugs but none more satisfying than adrenaline. Pushing the pedal to the floor is an adrenaline producer and that is why most of us own a vette. Here in rural Arkansas dirt oval track racing is quite popular and I raced for a few years, several years ago. I stopped because working on the car all week in the heat of summer so I could race on Saturday night became more pain than pleasure. Dirt oval racing is essentially "drifting" except all turns are to the left and is probably less costly than drifting on asphalt. So, young man, I understand your fascination with drifting and would like to try it myself but not with my vette because of the possibility of a crash. It sounds like you may be a thrill seeker, and from someone who has been there, get your rush from a night on the race track or a quick WOT and not from other drugs. I'm not preaching, just telling my experience.

hardcore4sure 03-08-2009 04:36 AM

Dirt track racing is COOOOL tooo! Drifting is hard on the car but so is DRAG racing ,or all types of racing for that matter, just in different ways. Clutch drops at 5000 rpms cause there own problems with diffs,axles,tranny's,and engines too. Road racing can tax the motors,trans,cooling, and braking systems pretty hard as well. A well built corvette will survive a drift competition better than many imports for many reasons 1st you don't have to rev the hell out of the engine to make power/tq, and more of it can be had fairly easy, 2nd the rear ends are pretty strong stock considering you don't have to shock the driveline, 3rd trannies are a no brainer , and once a built driveline is added it's a wrap. The biggest expense as with most competition vehicles is tires. Fact is it may seem tough on the car but it's not all that bad since you are usually only racing for about 1 minute at a time then have plenty of cool down time. Anyway all racing his about fun,so pick your style and have as much fun as you can afford to!

DjCritterus 03-08-2009 07:04 AM

Why get rid of all the tech. advancements made for traction and control of the car? The vette wasn't designed for this sport or that "target group" in mind.

bksnoopy 03-08-2009 07:28 AM

What's drifting? :lol:

Red Rochester 03-08-2009 07:39 AM

No problem there's a video on here that shows Cindy McCain drifting a vette.

vetteuphoria 03-08-2009 01:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlkP3KkPeGc&NR=1

Car Tour #7: Drift Chevrolet Corvette

Great video of Conrad Grunewald speaking about his modified vette for drifting. Along with narrating some of his modifications (blown 427, coil overs, etc), it shows great action shots (one glimpse alongside a Viper and another along a Solstice). He addresses the power on tap verses the turbo lag of competition. It was so loud that he was required to put mufflers on it :lol: He also notes at the end why he chose the vette over his Supra which he previously “swore over,“ that after finding so much torque in the vette he would never go back. Could anyone blame him? :lol: :thumbs:

True, the vette may not have been designed with this type of competition in mind, but that doesn’t mean it can’t shine and show the imports what it is capable of on their own playing field :cheers:

Vasta 03-08-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Red Rochester (Post 1569211349)
No problem there's a video on here that shows Cindy McCain drifting a vette.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/e60/n...ory?id=3571491