CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Strange problem (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2086148-strange-problem.html)

lt4obsesses 07-23-2008 04:41 PM

Strange problem

So a tech at my brother's shop noticed a wet seepage along the bottom of my heads. I had noticed this some time ago too, and although a bit worried, I have yet to see any other indication of head gasket problems. What I did notice that he didn't was that the seepage also lined the bottom of the spark plug recesses.

Today I pulled all the plugs, put them in about 2 years ago. (Bosch platinum 4). Installed them engine cold, and was very careful about threading them in. Lo and behold, the antiseize had all been pushed out and the threads looked like they had been leaking. None of the plugs were fouled, just a little carbon but all dry. So, I cleaned them up and put them back in. Gonna watch to see if the seepage comes back.

Has this happened to anyone else? And what could be the cause?

cwyates4 07-23-2008 06:26 PM

Sounds like you may have found the problem. Keep an eye on the valve covers though, may have developed a leaking v/c gasket.

jfb 07-23-2008 11:44 PM

If you do need head gaskets, use Fel-Pro teflon coated head gaskets, they last many times longer than non coated gaskets.

lt4obsesses 07-24-2008 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by cwyates4 (Post 1566425238)
Sounds like you may have found the problem. Keep an eye on the valve covers though, may have developed a leaking v/c gasket.

Thanks for the replies, yes I think I found the problem. I set her through her paces a little tonight and the difference was night and day. My theory is either A) using the anti-sieze was a mistake, or B) more likely I was too careful about installing the plugs and they never got set right. It's amazing how much better an engine runs when it's not losing compression.:D

anesthes 07-24-2008 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses (Post 1566430669)
Thanks for the replies, yes I think I found the problem. I set her through her paces a little tonight and the difference was night and day. My theory is either A) using the anti-sieze was a mistake, or B) more likely I was too careful about installing the plugs and they never got set right. It's amazing how much better an engine runs when it's not losing compression.:D

Usually if you have a loose plug the fire will destroy the threads. I'm surprised it's all set now..

-- Joe

Radioshop 07-24-2008 09:27 AM

You have to wonder about the electrical conducting properties of anti-seize grease. Was it introducing resistance? As you know, the spark plug grounds by it's threads.

donivan3 07-24-2008 09:30 AM

I've read severeal times here on the CF that anti-seize is a no-no on plugs. Just a drop of oil and proper torque will do the trick

lt4obsesses 07-24-2008 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by anesthes (Post 1566431736)
Usually if you have a loose plug the fire will destroy the threads. I'm surprised it's all set now..

-- Joe

Yeah, I don't know for certain. But I think that the fuel mixture was getting pushed into the threads, very slightly, on the compression stroke. I don't know why but all the threads looked good, on the plugs anyway. Still, keeping an eye on it.

larryfs 07-24-2008 10:21 AM

I say your obsessed. just drive the car and enjoy it.