C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Strange problem

So a tech at my brother's shop noticed a wet seepage along the bottom of my heads. I had noticed this some time ago too, and although a bit worried, I have yet to see any other indication of head gasket problems. What I did notice that he didn't was that the seepage also lined the bottom of the spark plug recesses.

Today I pulled all the plugs, put them in about 2 years ago. (Bosch platinum 4). Installed them engine cold, and was very careful about threading them in. Lo and behold, the antiseize had all been pushed out and the threads looked like they had been leaking. None of the plugs were fouled, just a little carbon but all dry. So, I cleaned them up and put them back in. Gonna watch to see if the seepage comes back.

Has this happened to anyone else? And what could be the cause?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:26 PM
cwyates4
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you may have found the problem. Keep an eye on the valve covers though, may have developed a leaking v/c gasket.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:44 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do need head gaskets, use Fel-Pro teflon coated head gaskets, they last many times longer than non coated gaskets.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cwyates4
Sounds like you may have found the problem. Keep an eye on the valve covers though, may have developed a leaking v/c gasket.
Thanks for the replies, yes I think I found the problem. I set her through her paces a little tonight and the difference was night and day. My theory is either A) using the anti-sieze was a mistake, or B) more likely I was too careful about installing the plugs and they never got set right. It's amazing how much better an engine runs when it's not losing compression.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM
anesthes
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Thanks for the replies, yes I think I found the problem. I set her through her paces a little tonight and the difference was night and day. My theory is either A) using the anti-sieze was a mistake, or B) more likely I was too careful about installing the plugs and they never got set right. It's amazing how much better an engine runs when it's not losing compression.
Usually if you have a loose plug the fire will destroy the threads. I'm surprised it's all set now..

-- Joe
Old 07-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Radioshop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to wonder about the electrical conducting properties of anti-seize grease. Was it introducing resistance? As you know, the spark plug grounds by it's threads.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
donivan3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read severeal times here on the CF that anti-seize is a no-no on plugs. Just a drop of oil and proper torque will do the trick
Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by anesthes
Usually if you have a loose plug the fire will destroy the threads. I'm surprised it's all set now..

-- Joe
Yeah, I don't know for certain. But I think that the fuel mixture was getting pushed into the threads, very slightly, on the compression stroke. I don't know why but all the threads looked good, on the plugs anyway. Still, keeping an eye on it.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I say your obsessed. just drive the car and enjoy it.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange problem

Quick Reply: Strange problem