CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   383 stroker (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2293269-383-stroker.html)

Kensmith 04-03-2009 02:47 PM

383 stroker

Ordered my new motor. 383 stroker. Hope to receive it in 2 to 3 weeks! Have some parts available for sale from my old motor in the for sale forum :thumbs:

OCS1667 04-03-2009 05:16 PM

Ken, what gives, I thought we were going to talk about it. So fill us all in.
Dennis

Shurshot 04-03-2009 05:33 PM

Ken

First I say congratulations........ IMO the phrase "to much motor" is an oxymoron and also the word "streetable" is strictly a matter of opinion.

What intake comes with it?

What carb are you going to use?

Got headers?

What do you have under the side pipe covers....... those chambered exhaust pipes combined with the extra bends that side pipes have are real HP robbers if they are not overcome...... to the tune of 10% gross HP :eek:

I like 383 motors but a purebred motor takes a bigger negative hit from what they are suppose to be when something in the system is out of sync with the other components than a "normal" motor does.

IMO it is all just a matter of preperation and you making sure everything compliments everything else ....... and when side pipes are involved that takes a bit of work.

Doug

Kensmith 04-03-2009 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by OCS1667 (Post 1569562927)
Ken, what gives, I thought we were going to talk about it. So fill us all in.
Dennis

Well, got tired of trying to build a correct 327/365, then got tired of trying to build a 383 to look like a 327/365, then got tired of trying to buy a short block and build my 461 heads, then just got tired so ordered a almost turnkey 383 that is being built by T&L Engines. It's the 440 HP, 465 TQ they build, dyno, and I added their 750 HO Holley with mechanical secondaries VS Vacuum. Also have the Air Gap intake, Dart Pro 1 Platinum 200cc Aluminum heads. Comp Roller 230/236 @ .050, .544/.555 lift with 1.6 rockers. I figured they build motors for a living so they will have the correct parts. Also went with the 4 bolt mains and 1 piece rear seal. You can check it on their web site. It's the 383 A-3 aluminum.

Kensmith 04-03-2009 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shurshot (Post 1569563109)
Ken

First I say congratulations........ IMO the phrase "to much motor" is an oxymoron and also the word "streetable" is strictly a matter of opinion.

What intake comes with it?

What carb are you going to use?

Got headers?

What do you have under the side pipe covers....... those chambered exhaust pipes combined with the extra bends that side pipes have are real HP robbers if they are not overcome...... to the tune of 10% gross HP :eek:

I like 383 motors but a purebred motor takes a bigger negative hit from what they are suppose to be when something in the system is out of sync with the other components than a "normal" motor does.

IMO it is all just a matter of preperation and you making sure everything compliments everything else ....... and when side pipes are involved that takes a bit of work.

Doug

Yep, the sidepipes will hurt. I have the Allen's 2 3/4". 2 1/2" ramshorns that I will be doing some porting on just to help a little. I have heard the shortie Headman headers don't really help that much with sidepipes so I will stick with the ramshorns.

woodsdesign 04-03-2009 07:00 PM

So I'm jealous! I have to ask...How much?

Kensmith 04-03-2009 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by woodsdesign (Post 1569563930)
So I'm jealous! I have to ask...How much?

With the 750HO Holley, 8" balancer, crate and delivery, $4700. :D

Decided to go with a New Holley street avenger 770cfm. So cost was only $4300. I shipped the Holley to them so they could dyno it with my carb.

woodsdesign 04-03-2009 07:17 PM

WOW! Pretty reasonable. At that price a rebuild doesn't look like an option to me.

Kensmith 04-03-2009 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by woodsdesign (Post 1569564094)
WOW! Pretty reasonable. At that price a rebuild doesn't look like an option to me.

I was going to rebuild my 327 bare block and 461 heads. After I found out the cost, and then found out what these crate motors go for, it was kind of an easy decision. AND now I don't need to worry about the numbers matching stuff because it will all be gone. 327 870 block, crank, and 461 heads still for sale! All mid June 65 dates! See the for sale forum. :thumbs:

aaronz28 04-03-2009 08:16 PM

are you selling your original numbers matching parts for the car?
or are those spare parts that you bought to make it numbers matching.

eitherway, you might consider keeping.

those parts will be worth their weight in gold to the next owner.
even if you don't care.

just my opinion.

but you will LOVE that 383
A

Ryanc65 04-03-2009 08:22 PM

Have you measured to know what kind of clearance you expect with the small block hood, or do you have a BB hood?

Ryan

NEVERL8 04-03-2009 08:25 PM

Ken, you are my hero :thumbs: Absolutely the type of engine I would put into my car if my existing one was to give birth. I agree with your logic and with your results. That car should be a thrill ride when you are done. Congrats.

LouieM 04-03-2009 08:32 PM

Ken - NOW is the time to start saving for a Tire Fund! :lol:

Astrodokk 04-03-2009 08:41 PM

We're gonna have to race at the next Corvette drags in Sac this summer. Your engine looks like a monster, but then again, mine is Frankensteined together and I'm looking forward to feeling how it performs. I spun a bearing in my old 350, so I had to do the 383. Why are you getting rid of your LT1?

http://i41.tinypic.com/15i3ed1.jpg

66CorvetteCoupe 04-03-2009 11:05 PM

T&L Engines

Originally Posted by Kensmith (Post 1569563775)
Well, got tired of trying to build a correct 327/365, then got tired of trying to build a 383 to look like a 327/365, then got tired of trying to buy a short block and build my 461 heads, then just got tired so ordered a almost turnkey 383 that is being built by T&L Engines. It's the 440 HP, 465 TQ they build, dyno, and I added their 750 HO Holley with mechanical secondaries VS Vacuum. Also have the Air Gap intake, Dart Pro 1 Platinum 200cc Aluminum heads. Comp Roller 230/236 @ .050, .544/.555 lift with 1.6 rockers. I figured they build motors for a living so they will have the correct parts. Also went with the 4 bolt mains and 1 piece rear seal. You can check it on their web site. It's the 383 A-3 aluminum.

Ken I am glad you decided to use T&L I am in GA and I will be up in Charlotte next week on business so I thought I would stop by there and check them out first hand. I am considering the same set up as you so it will be interesting to hear your experience with them. They look like a first class outfit that engine combo should work great. I am also going to stick with my 2-1/2" ram horn exhaust that I currently run on my 327 in the 63, I wonder just how much HP they will cost. Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing about your engine swap in the upcoming weeks.

obx2323 04-04-2009 01:17 AM

Great price. Hope you drive train is up to par for all that. I just blew my 4.11 with the 350 I built. Replaced it with 3.55 and going to 60 series tires. I was having fun there for a while. I'll wait til 2nd gear now, I can't afford that much fun too many times.

Enjoy your motor Ken..!!

mechron 04-04-2009 01:48 AM

T&L engines

hi astrodokk, if ken bought his 383 stroker from the same T&L i think he did, he probably won't be racing you this summer.
kensmith, i havn't met you yet but dokk says your a cool guy, just for your info, here is a thread about T&L (if it is the same outfit) on another website i belong to. draw your own conclusions and read it all:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anyb...nt-151785.html

KC John 04-04-2009 02:33 AM

It sorta sounds like a crap shoot. What good is an engine if you are too stressed to enjoy it. I would think that takes all the fun out of it.

Shurshot 04-04-2009 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by 66CorvetteCoupe (Post 1569567123)
I am also going to stick with my 2-1/2" ram horn exhaust that I currently run on my 327 in the 63, I wonder just how much HP they will cost. .

If you use headers but then turn around and attach them to stock or a close to stock sidepipe exhaust system you are going to loose a significant percentage of the HP gained through the use of headers. The maker of my headers (Jerry Stahl) told me that if I did not design an exhaust system that complimented his headers/collectors that I could count on loosing about 7 to 10 % of gross flywheel HP.

But then if like Ken you are not using headers to start with then all you will notice is the gains through the as/is bigger motor install and not have to deal with all the hassles that always show up with headers (and the noise).

Just do not fall for the claims made by the "extrudahone" folks that will gladly take lots of money for something that will never be of any benefit to you.

Doug

Shurshot 04-04-2009 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mechron (Post 1569568376)
hi astrodokk, if ken bought his 383 stroker from the same T&L i think he did, he probably won't be racing you this summer.
kensmith, i havn't met you yet but dokk says your a cool guy, just for your info, here is a thread about T&L (if it is the same outfit) on another website i belong to. draw your own conclusions and read it all:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/anyb...nt-151785.html

I noticed that some of those posts on that thread were rather recent. :(

Because they are somewhat close to me I was talking about them with a friend who builds motors for a living....... he can't see how they turn a profit if T&L is having to pay the same wholesale costs for parts that he is.

Either they have a extraordinary direct relationship with a lot of manufactures or there is another reason as to how they are turning a profit at prices so much lower than everyone else.

Doug