CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   F55 Question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2309637-f55-question.html)

MNVette 04-22-2009 01:35 PM

F55 Question

I have what may be a stupid F55 question, but here goes:

It seems to me that when I start the car, the suspension seems to be very unforgiving. After 1-2 minutes of driving, it becomes far smoother and behaves normally. Since F55 is, in essence, a computer-controlled suspension, does it take the computer a minute or two of driving to "learn" what's going on and begin to assert itself? Or, is there something wrong with my F55? No faults or anything reported, I'm just trying to figure it out. I know I'm sensitive to the feel of the suspension, but I was wondering if I'm totally off base here or not.

TEC6 04-22-2009 01:42 PM

You need to PM Wayne O.. He has some valuable information on the F55..:thumbs:

StanNH 04-22-2009 01:48 PM

There's no "warm up" period that I'm aware of. The magnetic shocks should be fully functional as soon as you start the car.

I wonder if what you're feeling is just the result of the tires being cold when you start driving.

Vinnie T 04-22-2009 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH (Post 1569807440)
There's no "warm up" period that I'm aware of. The magnetic shocks should be fully functional as soon as you start the car.

I wonder if what you're feeling is just the result of the tires being cold when you start driving.

:iagree:

RWSjr 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by MNVette (Post 1569807291)
I have what may be a stupid F55 question, but here goes:

It seems to me that when I start the car, the suspension seems to be very unforgiving. After 1-2 minutes of driving, it becomes far smoother and behaves normally. Since F55 is, in essence, a computer-controlled suspension, does it take the computer a minute or two of driving to "learn" what's going on and begin to assert itself? Or, is there something wrong with my F55? No faults or anything reported, I'm just trying to figure it out. I know I'm sensitive to the feel of the suspension, but I was wondering if I'm totally off base here or not.

Mine does the same thing. It's not the tires. I have non-runflat PS2's, and on 70* day have had a "stiff" suspesion on the way out of the neighborhood. Acts/feels like it's in the sport mode, even though it's on tour. But as you say, a minute or two later, back to normal... Maybe we have the same gremlins :crazy: Anyone?:bigears

Dave@Ciocca 04-22-2009 02:54 PM

It just a Corvette's way of saying that it wished it was equipped with Z51 instead of F55!

OK, that was only a joke. I have a feeling I'm going to pay for that one. :leaving:

Capt Steve 04-22-2009 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1569808215)
It just a Corvette's way of saying that it wished it was equipped with Z51 instead of F55!

OK, that was only a joke. I have a feeling I'm going to pay for that one. :leaving:

Go to your room! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/toetap05.gif

jc9767 04-22-2009 03:12 PM

Maybe the tiny magnetic particles have settled together while the car sits and the movement of the car disperses them.

Magnetic Ride Control uses shocks controlled by electro-magnets, rather than mechanical valves. Tiny iron particles suspended in fluid fill the shock damper. Under the presence of a magnetic charge, these particles align in tight formations to provide more damping resistance with incredible speed.

Wass 04-22-2009 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com (Post 1569808215)

I think it is saying, this is what you would have to deal with all the time, aren't you glad you have F55! :)

I've noticed the same thing as the OP from time to time. It does feel like it's the tires. Disappears after 5 or 6 miles.

Dave@Ciocca 04-22-2009 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by jc9767 (Post 1569808446)
Maybe the tiny magnetic particles have settled together while the car sits and the movement of the car disperses them.

Magnetic Ride Control uses shocks controlled by electro-magnets, rather than mechanical valves. Tiny iron particles suspended in fluid fill the shock damper. Under the presence of a magnetic charge, these particles align in tight formations to provide more damping resistance with incredible speed.

I was actually thinking is was really something like this. After sitting for a while, that fluid is going to settle to the bottom of the shocks. Its very thick and I wouldn't be suprised if it needs a minute or two to get distributed properly.