C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
MNVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F55 Question

I have what may be a stupid F55 question, but here goes:

It seems to me that when I start the car, the suspension seems to be very unforgiving. After 1-2 minutes of driving, it becomes far smoother and behaves normally. Since F55 is, in essence, a computer-controlled suspension, does it take the computer a minute or two of driving to "learn" what's going on and begin to assert itself? Or, is there something wrong with my F55? No faults or anything reported, I'm just trying to figure it out. I know I'm sensitive to the feel of the suspension, but I was wondering if I'm totally off base here or not.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:42 PM
TEC6
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

You need to PM Wayne O.. He has some valuable information on the F55..
Old 04-22-2009, 01:48 PM
StanNH
Le Mans Master

Received 1,231 Likes on 415 Posts

There's no "warm up" period that I'm aware of. The magnetic shocks should be fully functional as soon as you start the car.

I wonder if what you're feeling is just the result of the tires being cold when you start driving.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Originally Posted by StanNH
There's no "warm up" period that I'm aware of. The magnetic shocks should be fully functional as soon as you start the car.

I wonder if what you're feeling is just the result of the tires being cold when you start driving.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
RWSjr
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MNVette
I have what may be a stupid F55 question, but here goes:

It seems to me that when I start the car, the suspension seems to be very unforgiving. After 1-2 minutes of driving, it becomes far smoother and behaves normally. Since F55 is, in essence, a computer-controlled suspension, does it take the computer a minute or two of driving to "learn" what's going on and begin to assert itself? Or, is there something wrong with my F55? No faults or anything reported, I'm just trying to figure it out. I know I'm sensitive to the feel of the suspension, but I was wondering if I'm totally off base here or not.
Mine does the same thing. It's not the tires. I have non-runflat PS2's, and on 70* day have had a "stiff" suspesion on the way out of the neighborhood. Acts/feels like it's in the sport mode, even though it's on tour. But as you say, a minute or two later, back to normal... Maybe we have the same gremlins Anyone?
Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

It just a Corvette's way of saying that it wished it was equipped with Z51 instead of F55!

OK, that was only a joke. I have a feeling I'm going to pay for that one.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Capt Steve
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
It just a Corvette's way of saying that it wished it was equipped with Z51 instead of F55!

Go to your room!
Old 04-22-2009, 03:12 PM
jc9767
Racer

Maybe the tiny magnetic particles have settled together while the car sits and the movement of the car disperses them.

Magnetic Ride Control uses shocks controlled by electro-magnets, rather than mechanical valves. Tiny iron particles suspended in fluid fill the shock damper. Under the presence of a magnetic charge, these particles align in tight formations to provide more damping resistance with incredible speed.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 137 Likes on 82 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com

I think it is saying, this is what you would have to deal with all the time, aren't you glad you have F55!

I've noticed the same thing as the OP from time to time. It does feel like it's the tires. Disappears after 5 or 6 miles.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by jc9767
Maybe the tiny magnetic particles have settled together while the car sits and the movement of the car disperses them.

Magnetic Ride Control uses shocks controlled by electro-magnets, rather than mechanical valves. Tiny iron particles suspended in fluid fill the shock damper. Under the presence of a magnetic charge, these particles align in tight formations to provide more damping resistance with incredible speed.
I was actually thinking is was really something like this. After sitting for a while, that fluid is going to settle to the bottom of the shocks. Its very thick and I wouldn't be suprised if it needs a minute or two to get distributed properly.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 Question

Quick Reply: F55 Question