CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Anyone not use a thermostat? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2403854-anyone-not-use-a-thermostat.html)

Shurshot 08-18-2009 07:43 AM

Anyone not use a thermostat?

I am just finishing up the port work on my intake that was originally designed not to have a thermostat installed.

What it does have is a divider in the spot where the thermostat would sit.

Any opinions pro or con to not using a thermostat in a street motor?

Sorry for no picture but my camera is at the shop.

Doug

427Hotrod 08-18-2009 09:10 AM

I don't use one in mine. No issues for years.

Takes a few minutes more to warm up, but once on the road it's fine. With a T-stat mine would gradually heat up on long 80 mph drives. Without one it's fine.

JIM

Shurshot 08-18-2009 09:42 AM

Thanks Jim

Being as our motors are similar your reply answers my question very well.

Plan to start setting the motor up on the run stand tomorrow. To bad the board is down because the new dyno will not be installed for a couple of weeks yet.

Doug

Randy G. 08-18-2009 01:48 PM

Some engines will experience over heating without a thermostat. The reason? The thermostat slows the water down in the system at rpm, allowing it time to cool in the radiator and time to absorb heat in the engine. One fix if your choice is to run without a thermostat is to place a piece of tin in the housing area with holes punched or drilled in it to act as a flow restrictor.

DZAUTO 08-18-2009 02:53 PM

As one method of reducing the problems caused by today's poor gas in FI engines, I changed my thermostat to a 160* version. It did help some.

Tom Parsons

Plasticman 08-18-2009 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by DZAUTO (Post 1571181901)
As one method of reducing the problems caused by today's poor gas in FI engines, I changed my thermostat to a 160* version. It did help some.

Tom Parsons

Carb'd engines need it as well (to help prevent percolation).

But the cooling system has to be capable of holding it that low (stop any air from bypassing of the radiator or recirculating hot air, enough air flow, proper ignition timing, radiator and cooling system in good condition, etc.).

Plasticman

Old Blazer 08-18-2009 08:10 PM

I've always understood that you need a thermostat as a restriction to insure good flow and cooling to the rear cylinders. Without the restriction the water short circuits the rear and they will run somewhat hotter.

firstgear 08-18-2009 09:50 PM

in my blower motor, it doesnt have a thermostat either, it has a thin disk with about a 5/8 hole in it to slow the water down to give it time to cool in the radiator.......

midyearvette 08-18-2009 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by firstgear (Post 1571186890)
in my blower motor, it doesnt have a thermostat either, it has a thin disk with about a 5/8 hole in it to slow the water down to give it time to cool in the radiator.......

good move ,if you don't want to run a stat....cudo's.....jmo...:iagree:

Shurshot 08-19-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Randy G. (Post 1571181133)
Some engines will experience over heating without a thermostat. The reason? The thermostat slows the water down in the system at rpm, allowing it time to cool in the radiator and time to absorb heat in the engine. One fix if your choice is to run without a thermostat is to place a piece of tin in the housing area with holes punched or drilled in it to act as a flow restrictor.

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys :cheers:

Here is a picture of the base for the thermostat housing and as you can see there is no room for a restrictor.

So for a start I will try it the way Brodix designed it......... besides I have already done enough grinding on this intake to last me for a long time :ack:

Doug

http://i28.tinypic.com/bf26pi.jpg

midyearvette 08-19-2009 09:56 AM

youll be fine here sureshot.....it looks like the opening is restricted to start with....we have run that same intake on the street with no problems......

Dick Horzen 08-19-2009 10:06 AM

I was looking for a response from IRONCROSS. Some time ago, I stated that I didn't use a thermostat in my 1965, 327/365. He said I was to stupid to understand why one was needed, and didn't have the time to tell me.

Matt Gruber 08-19-2009 10:21 AM

Doug
try it! Summer toys often get away without it.
Don't try it up north under 32F, and expect heat anytime soon :lol: A passenger will burn up your ears complaining about NO HEAT even if U R a tough guy.
Another thing, even in FL, i notice my 61 355 really sucks gas the 1st mile, like 8 mpg at 40 mph. It reaches 180 after 2 miles vs 7 miles witout a tstat. Very poor vaporization when cold; liquid gas pours into it.

mikem350 08-19-2009 08:51 PM

Another thing to watch is your oil temp. Too low=excess wear. This topic has been seen b4 :beatdeadhorse: