CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Anyone make Dash Letter Decals That Stick? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2436131-anyone-make-dash-letter-decals-that-stick.html)

Gearhead Jim 09-28-2009 09:08 PM

Anyone make Dash Letter Decals That Stick?

There's been a million threads on this and I ended up more confused than before. Let's keep it to one simple question:

I'm looking for Victory Red decals to fill in the "Corvette" on my passenger side dash. They must be paper-thin and flexible, I've had one case of airbag rash and don't want anything in the dash that would chew me up any more.

They have to stick and stay stuck for more than a couple of months.

Most of them seem to come loose after a while, does anyone have the really thin ones that have stayed stuck?

Thanks!

woulddug 09-28-2009 09:09 PM

I have had ZERO luck in getting any to stick. 3 sets and nothing

calemasters 09-28-2009 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1571649817)
There's been a million threads on this and I ended up more confused than before. Let's keep it to one simple question:

I'm looking for Victory Red decals to fill in the "Corvette" on my passenger side dash. They must be paper-thin and flexible, I've had one case of airbag rash and don't want anything in the dash that would chew me up any more.

Most of them seem to come loose after a while, does anyone have the really thin ones that have stayed stuck?

Thanks!

I have had mine for about 4 years. The instrument panel pad has a non-stick coating, so you may need to use an adhesive promoter prior to installing the lettering.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ashLetters.jpg

Gearhead Jim 09-28-2009 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by calemasters (Post 1571649961)
I have has mine for about 4 years. The instrument panel pad has a non-stick coating, so you may need to use an adhesive promoter prior to installing the lettering.

The suspense is killing me, who made yours???
What adhesive promoter did you use?

Knob Jockey 09-28-2009 09:33 PM

RPI makes thin, flexible letters that will stick if you install them right.

You must do this in warm weather or a heated garage and the letters/adhesive need to set up overnight after they are installed.

You must clean the area very thoroughly. You can buy small alcohol soaked pads (swabs) at any drugstore. Use these to scrub the surface at least 5 times, letting it dry in between.

The next step is the real key. Use an adhesion promoter on the surface where the letters are to be attached. It's easy to apply and air dries in about half an hour.

The BondPak Primer pen is available from bondprousa.com. It's like a felt pen but you can buy the stuff by the gallon for sticking on body panels/spoilers/etc.

Take your time, a little patience makes this a once and done proposition.

:cheers:

calemasters 09-28-2009 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1571649999)
The suspense is killing me, who made yours???
What adhesive promoter did you use?

Mine are the epoxy "domed" letters for Mid America Motor Works. I did not use an adhesion promoter, I just used Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the depressed area for the lettering. If you want to install permanently, use a promoter. I can not tell you which one because I did not use a promoter. Also I warmed the I.P pad with a hair dryer prior to the install.

Gearhead Jim 09-28-2009 09:40 PM

Thanks!

We've got one vote for RPI, if done properly.

Any others?

Gearhead Jim 09-28-2009 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by calemasters (Post 1571650230)
Mine are the epoxy "domed" letters for Mid America Motor Works. I did not use an adhesion promoter, I just used Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the depressed area for the lettering. If you want to install permanently, use a promoter. I can not tell you which one because I did not use a promoter.

That sounds like they have some thickness/stiffness to them. True?
As mentioned, I'm scared of anything stiff in the lettering.

designerRob 09-28-2009 10:16 PM

I bought mine from SouthernCarParts. Initially mine wouldn't stick. I ended up cleaning the dash really well and using common silicone caulk based on a recommendation from a fellow owner. They've been stuck ever since. Good luck!:cheers:

woulddug 09-28-2009 10:24 PM

I have the same thing going on with mine, you clean the letters and you can see an outline around letters. I removes a coating or something. I have used different Armorals, oils, . . . and it is still there

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ashLetters.jpg

St.Char 09-28-2009 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by calemasters (Post 1571650230)
Mine are the epoxy "domed" letters for Mid America Motor Works. I did not use an adhesion promoter, I just used Q-Tips and alcohol to clean the depressed area for the lettering. If you want to install permanently, use a promoter. I can not tell you which one because I did not use a promoter. Also I warmed the I.P pad with a hair dryer prior to the install.

:iagree: This is what I've done too, 2 years no issues. I also used Gorilla glue gel and a tooth pic to apply it to the back side of the letters

Glen220 09-29-2009 12:53 AM

Super Glue!

I had the ones that are plastic and domed. I cleaned the dash several times and was completely satisfied they would stick and stay. They didn't.

I carefully peeled them off, cleaned the dash again with alcohol and then using a super glue with the needle point tip, applied a few drops at various areas on the back of the lettering.

They have now stuck for over a year and show no signs of coming loose.

Be careful, as the super glue has tendency to get "stringy".

Glen

VipersRnotVettes 09-29-2009 03:33 AM

I bought mine on e-bay from a fellow in Arkansas, and followed his direction to a tee. Use alcohol to clean where the letters go, add heat with a hair dryer prior to putting in letters. Keep the back of the letters wet prior to applying, then once in place, towel dab over the letters, being really careful not to move them, then use a hair dryer for at approx 10 minutes to dry and seal the letters to the dash. Let sit for 24 before washing over them. So far so good, but it's only been a month since I applied them, so it may be way too early to hang one's hat on these yet. I also ordered and applied the ones for the back bumper, at the same time, same application method, and they are still stuck on, after a bunch of washes. If you want the e-bay addie, PM me.

Paul

cylon 09-29-2009 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by gearhead jim (Post 1571649817)
there's been a million threads on this and i ended up more confused than before. Let's keep it to one simple question:

I'm looking for victory red decals to fill in the "corvette" on my passenger side dash. They must be paper-thin and flexible, i've had one case of airbag rash and don't want anything in the dash that would chew me up any more.

Thanks!

nope

calemasters 09-29-2009 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim (Post 1571650278)
That sounds like they have some thickness/stiffness to them. True?
As mentioned, I'm scared of anything stiff in the lettering.

They are 3D letters, but they are very soft and supple. Similar to a soft foam. The vender said they are epoxy. I thought the were silicone. They have a very soft rubber type of texture. They are so soft and pliable it made then a little difficult to install due to the flexibility.

LOUSVETTE 09-29-2009 07:16 AM

I also used RPI's and a promoter. Mine have been on for 14 months.

ghostrunner 09-29-2009 09:08 AM

Tried two different kinds before getting RPI's. With the promoter they stick and no issues. Very good product:cheers:

Frankie2blue 09-29-2009 09:16 AM

Does the promoter destroy the dash surface where the letters go so that you could never go back to stock if you wanted to?

sxeC7 09-29-2009 09:25 AM

My problem is that I cleaned the area for the letters with alcohol and got the thin vinyl decal letters finally in place and stick, which was a real test of patience. Now the area around the letters is shiney compared to the rest of the dash's matte finish. I've tried the low gloss vinyl sprays to no avail. Any suggestions?

LMB-Z 09-29-2009 09:33 AM

I'm gonna paint mine...there is a previous thread on how to do it. I painted the letters in my 01 with a paint pen bought at Wal Mart. I lasted and looked great. Just take your time and if you mess up, wipe with alcohol or mineral spirits to remove any excess.