CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   Need a little help in the GTA (valve spring & pushrod) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/2455808-need-a-little-help-in-the-gta-valve-spring-and-pushrod.html)

Blue Angel 10-26-2009 05:17 PM

Need a little help in the GTA (valve spring & pushrod)

Looking for a little help here East of the GTA... I have an '02Z that just broke the #6 exhaust valve spring. I just spent the afternoon checking into it and it looks like I got lucky; no P2V interferance, only a broken spring and bent pushrod. I feel I've gotten off pretty lucky with this one... I was stranded on the side of Hwy 35/115 yesterday morning thinking I may have blown the engine completely!

I'm putting the car away on Thursday (pending this repair, obviously) and I'm looking for someone who may have used '02-'04 LS6 springs and pushrods laying around. I'm just planning to replace the necessary parts to get it into storage and then in April I'll put a whole new set of springs and pushrods in.

Also, if anyone has a spring compressing tool I could rent/borrow that would be GREAT also.

Thanks everyone! :cheers:

EDIT: BTW, I'm in Port Perry (my avatar says Ottawa), just North of Oshawa. I moved to Ottawa from Port Perry but I'm here in the GTA until I get this fixed!

Overdrive 10-26-2009 06:05 PM

You'll need the air fitting for the spark plug too unless you are doing the rope method to hold the valve up, or are you going to pull the head?

7t2vette 10-26-2009 06:35 PM

Call Devon at Powell Raceshop in Port Perry.

:cheers:

terry621 10-26-2009 08:04 PM

what Bruce said

Originally Posted by 7t2vette (Post 1571948024)

I am in Peterborough you ever have trouble in the future let me know PM sent:cheers:

sami85L98 10-26-2009 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by 7t2vette (Post 1571948024)

:thumbs:

z060-0 10-26-2009 08:32 PM

Dam, another 02 valve spring issue. Devon will be seeing mine first thing in the spring.

Blue Angel 10-26-2009 08:42 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll start with Powell - I forgot about him, he's litterally in my backyard!

Originally Posted by z060-0 (Post 1571949394)
Dam, another 02 valve spring issue. Devon will be seeing mine first thing in the spring.

177,000 km later, I thought I had an engine with 16 good valvesprings in it! Just goes to show they can go at any time! Lucky for me it failed locally and not while I was in New Hampshire a couple of months ago! :eek:

SilverSurferC6 10-26-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Angel (Post 1571949522)
Thanks everyone! I'll start with Powell - I forgot about him, he's litterally in my backyard!

177,000 km later, I thought I had an engine with 16 good valvesprings in it! Just goes to show they can go at any time! Lucky for me it failed locally and not while I was in New Hampshire a couple of months ago! :eek:

NICE! She is definitely not a garage queen.

Blue Angel 10-26-2009 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6 (Post 1571949876)
NICE! She is definitely not a garage queen.

You have that right, sir! This one earns its keep and still looks great when it's all cleaned up. After all those miles and smiles I still find myself impressed by the condition it's in, and of course by the smile it can effortlessly plaster accross my face pulling around an on ramp and past traffic.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...DSC_0312-p.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g2...anceZ06007.jpg

Blue Angel 10-27-2009 05:13 PM

Back on the road in record time for FREE!

Thanks EVERYONE for their advice and support - several people offered parts and advice, thanks to each and every one of you!

I went over to Devon Powell's shop here in Port Perry and he GAVE me a spring and pushrod that he had lying around, and he also let me borrow a spring compressor to get the spring installed - ! HUGE thanks to Devon POWELL at his RACING shop here in PORT PERRY for treating me so well!

To make a long story short, my high mileage '02Z is back on the road as good as new for ZERO dollars! All this cost me was a $40 tip for the towtruck driver (who did a PERFECT job of towing a lowered 'Vette), and a few hours of my time to change the parts in my driveway. I even had good weather to get the job done - no rain!

To say I feel lucky right now is an understatement... sitting on the side of the 35/115 Sunday morning I thought there was a good chance I'd toasted the whole motor. It's as good as new now with no financial setback. Lucky, VERY lucky indeed.

In the spring I'll install a whole new set of springs and pushrods, maybe even a new set of rockers... the whole engine is original, right down to the plugs and wires, so it wouldn't be out of step to give it a thorough tune-up.

Thanks again everyone! :) :cheers:

SilverSurferC6 10-27-2009 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Angel (Post 1571958861)
Thanks EVERYONE for their advice and support - several people offered parts and advice, thanks to each and every one of you!

I went over to Devon Powell's shop here in Port Perry and he GAVE me a spring and pushrod that he had lying around, and he also let me borrow a spring compressor to get the spring installed - ! HUGE thanks to Devon POWELL at his RACING shop here in PORT PERRY for treating me so well!

To make a long story short, my high mileage '02Z is back on the road as good as new for ZERO dollars! All this cost me was a $40 tip for the towtruck driver (who did a PERFECT job of towing a lowered 'Vette), and a few hours of my time to change the parts in my driveway. I even had good weather to get the job done - no rain!

To say I feel lucky right now is an understatement... sitting on the side of the 35/115 Sunday morning I thought there was a good chance I'd toasted the whole motor. It's as good as new now with no financial setback. Lucky, VERY lucky indeed.

In the spring I'll install a whole new set of springs and pushrods, maybe even a new set of rockers... the whole engine is original, right down to the plugs and wires, so it wouldn't be out of step to give it a thorough tune-up.

Thanks again everyone! :) :cheers:

We call this process "getting new floor mats". Search the forum for some interesting examples os said "floor mats" :)

sami85L98 10-27-2009 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6 (Post 1571962117)
We call this process "getting new floor mats". Search the forum for some interesting examples os said "floor mats" :)

Llyods too. Glad everything worked good for you, and spent no money ....:smash:how is it possible, dang i never lucky like this always gotta pay.....:lol:

Blue Angel 10-28-2009 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by sami85L98 (Post 1571962772)
...how is it possible, dang i never lucky like this always gotta pay.....:lol:

I'm very fortunate to be able to do most of my own work, but this thread is a good example where the contributions of others have actually made it possible. I blew the 3rd gear synchro a few years ago (totally my fault, not the car's) and ended up rebuilding the transmission myself (that sure was far from cheap, but still alot better than having to pay someone else to do it!). If it weren't for the ability to borrow my buddy's dad's shop (complete with hoist and tranny jack) that job just wouldn't be possible for me to complete on my own.

Thanks everyone, and I'll be sure to check out the ins and outs of "getting new floor mats". :cheers:

5abivt 10-29-2009 04:30 AM

Why can't i find any friends with your abilities :D Grats on getting it back together with barely any cost very impressive and beautiful car !!:thumbs:

Blue Angel 10-29-2009 11:04 AM

Thanks 8000! :cheers: