Canadian Events Canada, eh?

Need a little help in the GTA (valve spring & pushrod)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need a little help in the GTA (valve spring & pushrod)

Looking for a little help here East of the GTA... I have an '02Z that just broke the #6 exhaust valve spring. I just spent the afternoon checking into it and it looks like I got lucky; no P2V interferance, only a broken spring and bent pushrod. I feel I've gotten off pretty lucky with this one... I was stranded on the side of Hwy 35/115 yesterday morning thinking I may have blown the engine completely!

I'm putting the car away on Thursday (pending this repair, obviously) and I'm looking for someone who may have used '02-'04 LS6 springs and pushrods laying around. I'm just planning to replace the necessary parts to get it into storage and then in April I'll put a whole new set of springs and pushrods in.

Also, if anyone has a spring compressing tool I could rent/borrow that would be GREAT also.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: BTW, I'm in Port Perry (my avatar says Ottawa), just North of Oshawa. I moved to Ottawa from Port Perry but I'm here in the GTA until I get this fixed!

Last edited by Blue Angel; 10-26-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: New info
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Overdrive
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need the air fitting for the spark plug too unless you are doing the rope method to hold the valve up, or are you going to pull the head?
Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Call Devon at Powell Raceshop in Port Perry.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM
terry621
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Peterborough"I'd rather be topless than all couped up" Ontario
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10

Default what Bruce said

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

I am in Peterborough you ever have trouble in the future let me know PM sent
Old 10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

Old 10-26-2009, 08:32 PM
z060-0
Burning Brakes

Dam, another 02 valve spring issue. Devon will be seeing mine first thing in the spring.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone! I'll start with Powell - I forgot about him, he's litterally in my backyard!

Originally Posted by z060-0
Dam, another 02 valve spring issue. Devon will be seeing mine first thing in the spring.
177,000 km later, I thought I had an engine with 16 good valvesprings in it! Just goes to show they can go at any time! Lucky for me it failed locally and not while I was in New Hampshire a couple of months ago!
Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
Thanks everyone! I'll start with Powell - I forgot about him, he's litterally in my backyard!

177,000 km later, I thought I had an engine with 16 good valvesprings in it! Just goes to show they can go at any time! Lucky for me it failed locally and not while I was in New Hampshire a couple of months ago!
NICE! She is definitely not a garage queen.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
NICE! She is definitely not a garage queen.
You have that right, sir! This one earns its keep and still looks great when it's all cleaned up. After all those miles and smiles I still find myself impressed by the condition it's in, and of course by the smile it can effortlessly plaster accross my face pulling around an on ramp and past traffic.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Default Back on the road in record time for FREE!

Thanks EVERYONE for their advice and support - several people offered parts and advice, thanks to each and every one of you!

I went over to Devon Powell's shop here in Port Perry and he GAVE me a spring and pushrod that he had lying around, and he also let me borrow a spring compressor to get the spring installed - ! HUGE thanks to Devon POWELL at his RACING shop here in PORT PERRY for treating me so well!

To make a long story short, my high mileage '02Z is back on the road as good as new for ZERO dollars! All this cost me was a $40 tip for the towtruck driver (who did a PERFECT job of towing a lowered 'Vette), and a few hours of my time to change the parts in my driveway. I even had good weather to get the job done - no rain!

To say I feel lucky right now is an understatement... sitting on the side of the 35/115 Sunday morning I thought there was a good chance I'd toasted the whole motor. It's as good as new now with no financial setback. Lucky, VERY lucky indeed.

In the spring I'll install a whole new set of springs and pushrods, maybe even a new set of rockers... the whole engine is original, right down to the plugs and wires, so it wouldn't be out of step to give it a thorough tune-up.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 PM
SilverSurferC6
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Angel
Thanks EVERYONE for their advice and support - several people offered parts and advice, thanks to each and every one of you!

I went over to Devon Powell's shop here in Port Perry and he GAVE me a spring and pushrod that he had lying around, and he also let me borrow a spring compressor to get the spring installed - ! HUGE thanks to Devon POWELL at his RACING shop here in PORT PERRY for treating me so well!

To make a long story short, my high mileage '02Z is back on the road as good as new for ZERO dollars! All this cost me was a $40 tip for the towtruck driver (who did a PERFECT job of towing a lowered 'Vette), and a few hours of my time to change the parts in my driveway. I even had good weather to get the job done - no rain!

To say I feel lucky right now is an understatement... sitting on the side of the 35/115 Sunday morning I thought there was a good chance I'd toasted the whole motor. It's as good as new now with no financial setback. Lucky, VERY lucky indeed.

In the spring I'll install a whole new set of springs and pushrods, maybe even a new set of rockers... the whole engine is original, right down to the plugs and wires, so it wouldn't be out of step to give it a thorough tune-up.

Thanks again everyone!
We call this process "getting new floor mats". Search the forum for some interesting examples os said "floor mats"
Old 10-27-2009, 10:12 PM
sami85L98
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SilverSurferC6
We call this process "getting new floor mats". Search the forum for some interesting examples os said "floor mats"
Llyods too. Glad everything worked good for you, and spent no money ....how is it possible, dang i never lucky like this always gotta pay.....
Old 10-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sami85L98
...how is it possible, dang i never lucky like this always gotta pay.....
I'm very fortunate to be able to do most of my own work, but this thread is a good example where the contributions of others have actually made it possible. I blew the 3rd gear synchro a few years ago (totally my fault, not the car's) and ended up rebuilding the transmission myself (that sure was far from cheap, but still alot better than having to pay someone else to do it!). If it weren't for the ability to borrow my buddy's dad's shop (complete with hoist and tranny jack) that job just wouldn't be possible for me to complete on my own.

Thanks everyone, and I'll be sure to check out the ins and outs of "getting new floor mats".
Old 10-29-2009, 04:30 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Why can't i find any friends with your abilities Grats on getting it back together with barely any cost very impressive and beautiful car !!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Thanks 8000!

Get notified of new replies

To Need a little help in the GTA (valve spring & pushrod)

Quick Reply: Need a little help in the GTA (valve spring & pushrod)