CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Parts 500 brake lines? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2499260-parts-500-brake-lines.html)

eyedocs96 01-02-2010 01:17 PM

Parts 500 brake lines?

Anybody use Parts 500 unbent break lines on their Corvette? Is it worth buying these unbent lines and bending them yourself? How are the ends and quality of their brake lines? I found them on e-bay.
Thanks Brian

lucky131969 01-02-2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by eyedocs96 (Post 1572617117)
Anybody use Parts 500 unbent break lines on their Corvette? Is it worth buying these unbent lines and bending them yourself? How are the ends and quality of their brake lines? I found them on e-bay.
Thanks Brian

Parts 500?

muskegonbrake 01-04-2010 08:22 AM

I've heard of some people using them, but why buy pre-measured when you can get pre-bent and save time and frustration? Let me know if you want pre-bent. Don't forget to ask for the first-time forum customer discount

jim lockwood 01-04-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by eyedocs96 (Post 1572617117)
Thanks Brian

Never heard of Parts 500. If these are just straight sticks of brake line tubing with pre-flared ends, you can buy the same thing at any NAPA auto parts store for $3.00 - $5.00.

Is it worth bending your own lines? It depends on you. How patient are you? How good is your ability to visualize in 3D? Do you trust your self on a critical part like a brake line? Do you have high quality tubing benders and flaring tools available?

I make all my own brake and fuel lines, so I'm biased here. I find it easy to do and certainly cost effective. Too, I've never ever seen a pre-bent line that didn't require at least a little "adjusting" to make it fit properly. (Nothing against any of the fine supporting vendors, but that's been my experience.)

Jim

muskegonbrake 01-05-2010 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by jim lockwood (Post 1572635793)
Never heard of Parts 500. If these are just straight sticks of brake line tubing with pre-flared ends, you can buy the same thing at any NAPA auto parts store for $3.00 - $5.00.

Is it worth bending your own lines? It depends on you. How patient are you? How good is your ability to visualize in 3D? Do you trust your self on a critical part like a brake line? Do you have high quality tubing benders and flaring tools available?

I make all my own brake and fuel lines, so I'm biased here. I find it easy to do and certainly cost effective. Too, I've never ever seen a pre-bent line that didn't require at least a little "adjusting" to make it fit properly. (Nothing against any of the fine supporting vendors, but that's been my experience.)

Jim

Definitely not going to argue with you there. We bend all our tube on vehicles we service here in the shop. Heck, we buy our brake line in 25' coils and buy fittings in bulk because we do enough of them. If you've got the tools and time, it's definitely the least expensive way to go.