C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Parts 500 brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 PM
eyedocs96
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parts 500 brake lines?

Anybody use Parts 500 unbent break lines on their Corvette? Is it worth buying these unbent lines and bending them yourself? How are the ends and quality of their brake lines? I found them on e-bay.
Thanks Brian
Old 01-02-2010, 02:14 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 89 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by eyedocs96
Anybody use Parts 500 unbent break lines on their Corvette? Is it worth buying these unbent lines and bending them yourself? How are the ends and quality of their brake lines? I found them on e-bay.
Thanks Brian
Parts 500?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of some people using them, but why buy pre-measured when you can get pre-bent and save time and frustration? Let me know if you want pre-bent. Don't forget to ask for the first-time forum customer discount
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,607 Likes on 3,030 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by eyedocs96
Thanks Brian
Never heard of Parts 500. If these are just straight sticks of brake line tubing with pre-flared ends, you can buy the same thing at any NAPA auto parts store for $3.00 - $5.00.

Is it worth bending your own lines? It depends on you. How patient are you? How good is your ability to visualize in 3D? Do you trust your self on a critical part like a brake line? Do you have high quality tubing benders and flaring tools available?

I make all my own brake and fuel lines, so I'm biased here. I find it easy to do and certainly cost effective. Too, I've never ever seen a pre-bent line that didn't require at least a little "adjusting" to make it fit properly. (Nothing against any of the fine supporting vendors, but that's been my experience.)

Jim
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Never heard of Parts 500. If these are just straight sticks of brake line tubing with pre-flared ends, you can buy the same thing at any NAPA auto parts store for $3.00 - $5.00.

Is it worth bending your own lines? It depends on you. How patient are you? How good is your ability to visualize in 3D? Do you trust your self on a critical part like a brake line? Do you have high quality tubing benders and flaring tools available?

I make all my own brake and fuel lines, so I'm biased here. I find it easy to do and certainly cost effective. Too, I've never ever seen a pre-bent line that didn't require at least a little "adjusting" to make it fit properly. (Nothing against any of the fine supporting vendors, but that's been my experience.)

Jim
Definitely not going to argue with you there. We bend all our tube on vehicles we service here in the shop. Heck, we buy our brake line in 25' coils and buy fittings in bulk because we do enough of them. If you've got the tools and time, it's definitely the least expensive way to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Parts 500 brake lines?

Quick Reply: Parts 500 brake lines?