CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Reverse lights dont work? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2533003-reverse-lights-dont-work.html)

DomZ06 02-20-2010 08:22 PM

Reverse lights dont work?

I noticed my reverse lights don't work when my car is in reverse...however they do flash when i lock the car with the key fob.. Is there a fuse for the reverse sensor? Is the sensor on the shifter or in the transmission? Not sure where to start. Thanks

65GGvert 02-20-2010 08:31 PM

You can do better than that. Is it auto or manual? You don't have your profile filled out and you don't give the info in the question. They are not the same. I have a picture and instructions to change the backup light switch in the transmission if it's a manual. Let me know.

DomZ06 02-20-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1573171380)
You can do better than that. Is it auto or manual? You don't have your profile filled out and you don't give the info in the question. They are not the same. I have a picture and instructions to change the backup light switch in the transmission if it's a manual. Let me know.

Sorry, im a new Vette owner and new to the forum. Its a 2003 Z06, so it is a manual.

65GGvert 02-20-2010 09:13 PM

http://i45.tinypic.com/10wo8sh.gif

It's on the transmission, passenger side. Unplug the wire and short the two pins in the plug you pull off together with a jumper or needle nose pliers. Turn on the key, if the b/u lights come on, the switch is bad (common). The switch unscrews out of the transmission, screw in a new one, reconnect the plug and you're done. You don't have to drain anything. It's harder to jack up the car than to change the switch. If you have a connection to someone with a lift, you're in business.

csc67 02-20-2010 09:18 PM

When my reverse lights didn't work, I replaced the reverse light switch on my tranny - If I remember correctly, it was only about $20.00

clayton1 02-20-2010 09:26 PM

When my reverse light didnt work but they worked with fob lock it was the fuse, not the switch.

65GGvert 02-21-2010 04:57 PM

Still not checked it?

DomZ06 02-21-2010 05:31 PM

I went out today and there is no fuse i was able to find only a relay. I dont have access to a lift and and theres snow on my driveway so i went ahead and ordered the switch for 9.99 at autozone.. Hopefully that does the trick. Thanks for that diagram as well!

ronssito 02-21-2010 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DomZ06 (Post 1573171302)
I noticed my reverse lights don't work when my car is in reverse...however they do flash when i lock the car with the key fob.. Is there a fuse for the reverse sensor? Is the sensor on the shifter or in the transmission? Not sure where to start. Thanks

Same here! I'll be replacing the Tranny switch next week.

:seeya

:lol:

ronssito 02-21-2010 08:01 PM

Just got my switch at Kragens <$10 ... will install next week.

:smash:

TheRadioFlyer97 02-21-2010 08:27 PM

Before you do any of that, check your fuse. The fob flashing fuse is on a seperate circuit from the actual reverse light fuse.

DomZ06 02-22-2010 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1573182216)
Before you do any of that, check your fuse. The fob flashing fuse is on a seperate circuit from the actual reverse light fuse.

I couldnt find any fuses for it, only the relays and the one for the rev lights was diff then the rest so i couldnt switch 2 to check it...

Len90Vette 02-22-2010 06:40 AM

I had the same problem. Checked the fuse and it was blown. Replaced fuse and put car in reverse and fuse blew again. Replaced switch and lights have worked fine since.

Many thanks to the CF guys for their tutorials.:thumbs:

baddboyz03 02-22-2010 10:41 AM

the fuse box w/reverse lights in it is under the dash,passenger side,floor board,:cheers: pull the carpet down look way up under dash, its there!

ronssito 02-22-2010 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer (Post 1573182216)

Did that weeks ago ... fuse is OK.

Thanks.

:thumbs:

DarkSpeed 02-24-2010 02:48 AM

Hey guys, I just noticed that once I switched to LED reverse lights, they turn on very dim when key is in 2nd position (right before ignition), never did this before as far as I remember with normal lights...when car goes into reverse, works fine at full brightness, but they seem to be on dimly all the time...

Have any of you encountered this?

65GGvert 02-24-2010 08:41 AM

I've never heard that, but from a strictly electrical standpoint, if they are only on dimly with the key on there must be a high resistance short in the b/u light switch. It supplies voltage to the lamps and they are grounded on the other side, so if they are glowing the voltage could be "leaking" through the switch. It may not be opening the contact fully when not in reverse. You can buy a b/u switch for around 10 bucks and disconnect the plug on the transmission and plug it into the new switch to see if the lamps still glow. Check for any conductive material in the plug that would cause the voltage to bypass the switch while your down there. Post what you find.

BELVIN20 02-24-2010 11:20 AM

Check fuse #20, it will be marked as a park, neutral fuse, but you do not have that fuse since it is a MN6. I if the fuse blows after you replace it, the the reverse switch in the trans is bad.

DarkSpeed 02-24-2010 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by BELVIN20 (Post 1573212199)
Check fuse #20, it will be marked as a park, neutral fuse, but you do not have that fuse since it is a MN6. I if the fuse blows after you replace it, the the reverse switch in the trans is bad.

hmmm...if there was a problem with the fuse, the lights wouldnt turn on at all...mine turns on dimly when car is started or in 2nd key position

I'm thinking maybe the relay could be the problem? somehow transferring a low current to dimly light up the LED's?

:lurk:

clayton1 02-24-2010 01:24 PM

A couple years ago I had the same problem as you DomZ06, and 65GGVert was a great help!!:cheers:

I just did a search for my old thread and after much messing around you want to check this: For the fuse box under pass kick panel, my book says fuse #21 is "Brake-Transmission Shift Interlock". This is the fuse for the reverse lights. Check it.