CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Plastic Clicking noise on passenger side, maybe in rear (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/2664887-plastic-clicking-noise-on-passenger-side-maybe-in-rear.html)

bdanyluk 08-22-2010 02:11 PM

Plastic Clicking noise on passenger side, maybe in rear

I purchased a 2006 corvette 2 months ago, only has 8500 miles on it today. Yesterday, I did my first HPDE track day at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. At the end of the day as I was leaving the track, I noticed a plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger/rear side of the car. Sounds like a piece of plastic on a string is draggin underneath the car or something. Nothing was hanging down anywhere so I just drove home. I only hear it when doing 1 to 10 mph or so.

After looking around the internet, it seems that my right rear axle nut or something might be loose or need lube.

Can anyone offer their expertise on this ? I am new to Corvettes so I know nothing. Thanks ahead of time!

Robert Danyluk

VET4LES 08-22-2010 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by bdanyluk (Post 1575088623)
I purchased a 2006 corvette 2 months ago, only has 8500 miles on it today. Yesterday, I did my first HPDE track day at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. At the end of the day as I was leaving the track, I noticed a plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger/rear side of the car. Sounds like a piece of plastic on a string is draggin underneath the car or something. Nothing was hanging down anywhere so I just drove home. I only hear it when doing 1 to 10 mph or so.

After looking around the internet, it seems that my right rear axle nut or something might be loose or need lube.

Can anyone offer their expertise on this ? I am new to Corvettes so I know nothing. Thanks ahead of time!

Robert Danyluk

I doubt if the axle nut is causing the noise but it's easy to check. Remove the small hub cap and use a 34mm socket and torque it to 118 pounds. :cheers:

bdanyluk 08-23-2010 10:17 PM

I was right!

It was the axle nut. It was loose....I torqued it down to 120ft-lbs. I guess when it was loose it came out just far enough to rub against the small plastic wheel covers and that's what made the clicking sound. I'll definitely have to check the axle nut after every run on the track and occaisionally in normal driving to make sure it doesn't happen all the time. Thanks!

RicK T 08-23-2010 10:27 PM

You're probably fine but....you know GM recommends a new nut and Loctite 272 then don't drive for 24 hours while it cures. Just sayin' in case you weren't aware. Glad it was an easy fix for you. :cheers:

bdanyluk 08-23-2010 11:57 PM

Thanks!

Thanks! I'll search online for a new bolt. Got plenty of Loctite.

SUB VETTE 08-24-2010 02:23 PM

I retorqued mine when the car was a few months old; one was loose. Since retorquing I have checked the nuts several times in the last four years and they have never loosened up.

VET4LES 08-24-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE (Post 1575110159)
I retorqued mine when the car was a few months old; one was loose. Since retorquing I have checked the nuts several times in the last four years and they have never loosened up.

Same here. :thumbs:

Ricosuave24 12-03-2018 09:10 PM

Unbelivable

I had the exact noise comming from the passenger right side so i checked my brakes and they were good so i changed my rear diff fluid and still same noise. It ended up being a loose lug nut just 1 slightly loose nut so make sure your nuts are tight.

Cherokee Nation 12-05-2018 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by bdanyluk (Post 1575103973)
It was the axle nut. It was loose....I torqued it down to 120ft-lbs. I guess when it was loose it came out just far enough to rub against the small plastic wheel covers and that's what made the clicking sound. I'll definitely have to check the axle nut after every run on the track and occaisionally in normal driving to make sure it doesn't happen all the time. Thanks!

The torque is 140 ft lbs at one time GM said 160 but it changed to 140 years ago.

cdngolfer 01-09-2019 02:43 PM

Good info here

I have heard the same clicking noise when turning left at the track. Will check the nut

Thanks

Ricosuave24 01-09-2019 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by cdngolfer (Post 1598652292)
Good info here

I have heard the same clicking noise when turning left at the track. Will check the nut

Thanks

did you figure it out? Was it your lug nuts?

cdngolfer 01-09-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ricosuave24 (Post 1598652445)
did you figure it out? Was it your lug nuts?

Not yet, I just read this a few minutes ago....

In my case, it could be the axle nut as I have had new tires installed and it was still there.

Ricosuave24 01-09-2019 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by cdngolfer (Post 1598652457)
Not yet, I just read this a few minutes ago....

In my case, it could be the axle nut as I have had new tires installed and it was still there.

oh ok, i started from fluid change to tighten nuts but thats also an option.the axle nut its easy to tighten with a torquer Good luck,👍