C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Clicking noise on passenger side, maybe in rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Plastic Clicking noise on passenger side, maybe in rear

I purchased a 2006 corvette 2 months ago, only has 8500 miles on it today. Yesterday, I did my first HPDE track day at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. At the end of the day as I was leaving the track, I noticed a plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger/rear side of the car. Sounds like a piece of plastic on a string is draggin underneath the car or something. Nothing was hanging down anywhere so I just drove home. I only hear it when doing 1 to 10 mph or so.

After looking around the internet, it seems that my right rear axle nut or something might be loose or need lube.

Can anyone offer their expertise on this ? I am new to Corvettes so I know nothing. Thanks ahead of time!

Robert Danyluk
Old 08-22-2010, 07:46 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
I purchased a 2006 corvette 2 months ago, only has 8500 miles on it today. Yesterday, I did my first HPDE track day at High Plains Raceway in Colorado. At the end of the day as I was leaving the track, I noticed a plastic clicking noise coming from the passenger/rear side of the car. Sounds like a piece of plastic on a string is draggin underneath the car or something. Nothing was hanging down anywhere so I just drove home. I only hear it when doing 1 to 10 mph or so.

After looking around the internet, it seems that my right rear axle nut or something might be loose or need lube.

Can anyone offer their expertise on this ? I am new to Corvettes so I know nothing. Thanks ahead of time!

Robert Danyluk
I doubt if the axle nut is causing the noise but it's easy to check. Remove the small hub cap and use a 34mm socket and torque it to 118 pounds.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:17 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Default I was right!

It was the axle nut. It was loose....I torqued it down to 120ft-lbs. I guess when it was loose it came out just far enough to rub against the small plastic wheel covers and that's what made the clicking sound. I'll definitely have to check the axle nut after every run on the track and occaisionally in normal driving to make sure it doesn't happen all the time. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You're probably fine but....you know GM recommends a new nut and Loctite 272 then don't drive for 24 hours while it cures. Just sayin' in case you weren't aware. Glad it was an easy fix for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:57 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Default Thanks!

Thanks! I'll search online for a new bolt. Got plenty of Loctite.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I retorqued mine when the car was a few months old; one was loose. Since retorquing I have checked the nuts several times in the last four years and they have never loosened up.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:13 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
I retorqued mine when the car was a few months old; one was loose. Since retorquing I have checked the nuts several times in the last four years and they have never loosened up.
Same here.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:10 PM
Ricosuave24
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unbelivable

I had the exact noise comming from the passenger right side so i checked my brakes and they were good so i changed my rear diff fluid and still same noise. It ended up being a loose lug nut just 1 slightly loose nut so make sure your nuts are tight.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 AM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
It was the axle nut. It was loose....I torqued it down to 120ft-lbs. I guess when it was loose it came out just far enough to rub against the small plastic wheel covers and that's what made the clicking sound. I'll definitely have to check the axle nut after every run on the track and occaisionally in normal driving to make sure it doesn't happen all the time. Thanks!
The torque is 140 ft lbs at one time GM said 160 but it changed to 140 years ago.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:43 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info here

I have heard the same clicking noise when turning left at the track. Will check the nut

Thanks
Old 01-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Ricosuave24
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cdngolfer
Good info here

I have heard the same clicking noise when turning left at the track. Will check the nut

Thanks
did you figure it out? Was it your lug nuts?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:08 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricosuave24
did you figure it out? Was it your lug nuts?

Not yet, I just read this a few minutes ago....

In my case, it could be the axle nut as I have had new tires installed and it was still there.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:30 PM
Ricosuave24
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by cdngolfer
Not yet, I just read this a few minutes ago....

In my case, it could be the axle nut as I have had new tires installed and it was still there.
oh ok, i started from fluid change to tighten nuts but thats also an option.the axle nut its easy to tighten with a torquer Good luck,👍

Last edited by Ricosuave24; 01-09-2019 at 05:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Plastic Clicking noise on passenger side, maybe in rear

Quick Reply: Plastic Clicking noise on passenger side, maybe in rear