CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   How has an Accusump worked out for you? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/2677456-how-has-an-accusump-worked-out-for-you.html)

Fastguy 09-08-2010 10:27 PM

How has an Accusump worked out for you?

Was is worthwhile, or would the money have been better spent on a dry sump? I am looking for ways to prolong the life of my LS1 in an HPDE car.

mgarfias 09-09-2010 12:15 AM

Don't bother. They're an anti-reliability system.

bobmoore2 09-09-2010 04:03 AM

During long left turns with a side load over about 1.1 Gs, the oil collects in the right side of the engine (if it is a wet sump engine) until there is no oil near the oil pump pickup. All the LS_ engines with wet sumps (LS1, LS2, LS3 and LS6) have the same problem. (The LS7, LS9, and Grand Sport LS3s have dry sumps.)

If you're using R-compound tires, then you need to protect your LS1 engine from oil starvation during high-G left turns.

Putting a dry sump onto an LS1 would be the best solution, but that would be very expensive. So you should put an accusump onto your LS1, but only if you are also using R-Compound tires.

If I'm wrong, then you might waste about 1,000 dollars for parts (and labor) you really don't need. If I'm right and the accusump keeps your engine together, you will have saved well over 10,000 dollars.

Most folks on the Forum are on my side of this argument.

AU N EGL 09-09-2010 06:46 AM

Best mod I had done for my car. 20K track miles.

use a manual switch to turn it on. a pressure switch may be too late.

Plus oil cooler is a must.

davidfarmer 09-09-2010 07:45 AM

great mod. Even for pre-lubing only it is more than worth it's cost. I personally think they are great, although they certainly can't cure a serious oiling problem.

John Shiels 09-09-2010 08:12 AM

Works great I popped my original motor from oil starvation. Second motor has been fine with the car and me a lot faster. More power and better aero. Like Tom said get a cooler also. Got my stuff from DRM.

argonaut 09-09-2010 08:26 AM

Last winter I pulled the LS1 out of my 99 and put in a new LS6 longblock and Canton Accusump. Already had the oil cooler. Accusump cost: $~500 in parts. LS6: $3300*. Labor: $0 - just me and a friend.

I can't say for sure if I have even needed it, not sure how to know if it is activated while on the track. But for the peace of mind and the pre-lube capability - for me it was $500 well spent.

*Nowadays the LS6 is just about the best bang-for-bucks deal ever. Darn cheap for 400 horsepower!

trapp 09-09-2010 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mgarfias (Post 1575267610)
Don't bother. They're an anti-reliability system.

:lurk:

96CollectorSport 09-09-2010 09:54 AM

Most people forget about the pre-oiling that the accusump does, that alone will extend the life of your engine. It's definatly worth the $500!

RedLS1GTO 09-09-2010 10:12 AM

Being a good shopper (bought one used) I installed one in my C4 for about $250. Well worth it. I have a mechanical pressure gauge and in long corners I would watch the pressure drop to the point of being really scared. After the accusump it stays right where it should be.

Fastguy 09-09-2010 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by AU N EGL (Post 1575268495)
Best mod I had done for my car. 20K track miles.

use a manual switch to turn it on. a pressure switch may be too late.

Plus oil cooler is a must.

So, you are looking at the OP gauge in turns and keeping your hand near a switch?
I am running V710's and push the car pretty hard. Last event the oil temps approached 300 and I was consuming oil. I eventually ran it low in a turn and now the motor is junk. Its rapping and stalls, sounds like I broke a piston or a con rod. I bought another LS1 and I would rather spend a few bucks just to not have to go through the hassle of a motor swap.

VetteDrmr 09-09-2010 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fastguy (Post 1575270072)
So, you are looking at the OP gauge in turns and keeping your hand near a switch?

No, you flip the switch on when you start up. Accumulator acts like a buffer to oil pressure fluctuations.

Have a good one,
Mike

J.R. 09-09-2010 11:01 AM

A crate LS3 with 18 months of race use (approx. 50 hrs), DOT tires. Accusump does work.

Note: This is only a 6400 rpm engine (my choice).
Dry sump is the real answer but it is a balance of expense and benefit.
My new car does have a dry sump but that is because it came with one, but same old engine.

stano 09-09-2010 11:25 AM

Good luck at Nationals J.R. :thumbs:

Stano

trapp 09-09-2010 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by J.R. (Post 1575270327)
A crate LS3 with 18 months of race use (approx. 50 hrs), DOT tires. Accusump does work.

Note: This is only a 6400 rpm engine (my choice).
Dry sump is the real answer but it is a balance of expense and benefit.
My new car does have a dry sump but that is because it came with one, but same old engine.

Did you have a pressure switch and if so what oil pressure did it dump at?

trapp 09-09-2010 12:00 PM

I am running V710's and push the car pretty hard. Last event the oil temps approached 300 and I was consuming oil. I eventually ran it low in a turn and now the motor is junk. Its rapping and stalls, sounds like I broke a piston or a con rod. I bought another LS1 and I would rather spend a few bucks just to not have to go through the hassle of a motor swap.

I have it on a pressure switch...if it drops below 25psi it dumps immediately...

mgarfias 09-09-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by trapp (Post 1575269469)
:lurk:

Three failures in 2 years. One solenoid. One pressure sensor. And the last straw was when the aluminum cannister ****ing blew up and dumped oil all over the ground.

Literally, the top of the unit blew off the top.

Plus, none of the gizmos that ship with it are race car/aircraft quality. Brass NPT fittings have no place on a car.

AU N EGL 09-09-2010 01:05 PM

Not quite

I turn the key to accessory, let the gauges swing, the flip on the accu-sump to pre-lub the block.
Crank over the engine

The sump runs all the time, while the engine is running.

and mike is correct here

Accumulator acts like a buffer to oil pressure fluctuations.
if you wait until the oil pressure drops to a certain point, IMO that is too late.

with oil cooler never see oil temps above 245 now.

mgarfias 09-09-2010 01:43 PM

You guys do realize that a number of the T1 guys are pushing really really hard, and they're not running accusumps? If Oli can't blow up a motor without the sump, i'm pretty well convinced its not needed.

J.R. 09-09-2010 01:54 PM

Did you have a pressure switch and if so what oil pressure did it dump at?

Electric with an accessory switch which I ran it at 25 psi.