CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Pop up headlights (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/2693578-pop-up-headlights.html)

canada99vette 10-02-2010 07:21 PM

Pop up headlights

Hello, quick question for you guys. I have a 99 and would like to know how to keep the headlights up after I shut the car off. It is a Canadian car so I don't have the option in the DIC. (I don't think). I have searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

8VETTE7 10-02-2010 11:02 PM

Not sure why you want the headlights up but here is what I have done for short periods of time while I clean the lens etc. Turn the end of the multi function switch until the lights come up and are illuminated. Turn the switch back one position until the lights go out. The head lamps stay up in that switch position. Not sure if anything else gets powered up so I might not leave the switch in that position for a long time........

Trios 10-02-2010 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7 (Post 1575506401)
Not sure why you want the headlights up but here is what I have done for short periods of time while I clean the lens etc. Turn the end of the multi function switch until the lights come up and are illuminated. Turn the switch back one position until the lights go out. The head lamps stay up in that switch position. Not sure if anything else gets powered up so I might not leave the switch in that position for a long time........

That position is the parking lights, so eventually it will drain the battery.

LuCkYSe7eN11 10-03-2010 02:40 AM

Loosin the bolt on the positive battery terminal... Raise them and disconnect the battery as soon as you turn the car off. Or you can pop the hood and raise the headlights manually with the knob (takes 10 seconds)

kg54trains 10-03-2010 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by canada99vette (Post 1575504453)
Hello, quick question for you guys. I have a 99 and would like to know how to keep the headlights up after I shut the car off. It is a Canadian car so I don't have the option in the DIC. (I don't think). I have searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.

Look at your owners manual and id the fuse for the headlight motors. Turn the headlights up and pull the two fuses.

canada99vette 10-03-2010 09:53 PM

Hello, thanks for the replies. In the "old days" with cars that had pop up headlights there was a "winter mode" you could put the lights in that would just keep the lights up all the time so that they wouldn't freeze shut with snow or freezing rain. The reason I am doing this is because both gears are gone in the headlights and they make an awful noise when they are closing, kind of embarrassing. I don't have time right now to do the gears, will be a winter project (as well a few other fixes)

Thanks again.

robert21122 10-04-2010 01:35 PM

install some hid's they cause headlights to not go down unless you have a capacitor.