C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop up headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 07:21 PM
canada99vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop up headlights

Hello, quick question for you guys. I have a 99 and would like to know how to keep the headlights up after I shut the car off. It is a Canadian car so I don't have the option in the DIC. (I don't think). I have searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 PM
8VETTE7
Drifting

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Not sure why you want the headlights up but here is what I have done for short periods of time while I clean the lens etc. Turn the end of the multi function switch until the lights come up and are illuminated. Turn the switch back one position until the lights go out. The head lamps stay up in that switch position. Not sure if anything else gets powered up so I might not leave the switch in that position for a long time........
Old 10-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Not sure why you want the headlights up but here is what I have done for short periods of time while I clean the lens etc. Turn the end of the multi function switch until the lights come up and are illuminated. Turn the switch back one position until the lights go out. The head lamps stay up in that switch position. Not sure if anything else gets powered up so I might not leave the switch in that position for a long time........
That position is the parking lights, so eventually it will drain the battery.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:40 AM
LuCkYSe7eN11
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Loosin the bolt on the positive battery terminal... Raise them and disconnect the battery as soon as you turn the car off. Or you can pop the hood and raise the headlights manually with the **** (takes 10 seconds)
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by canada99vette
Hello, quick question for you guys. I have a 99 and would like to know how to keep the headlights up after I shut the car off. It is a Canadian car so I don't have the option in the DIC. (I don't think). I have searched but couldn't find anything. Thanks in advance.
Look at your owners manual and id the fuse for the headlight motors. Turn the headlights up and pull the two fuses.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
canada99vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, thanks for the replies. In the "old days" with cars that had pop up headlights there was a "winter mode" you could put the lights in that would just keep the lights up all the time so that they wouldn't freeze shut with snow or freezing rain. The reason I am doing this is because both gears are gone in the headlights and they make an awful noise when they are closing, kind of embarrassing. I don't have time right now to do the gears, will be a winter project (as well a few other fixes)

Thanks again.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:35 PM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

install some hid's they cause headlights to not go down unless you have a capacitor.

Get notified of new replies

To Pop up headlights

Quick Reply: Pop up headlights