CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Cannot get rear FX3 shock out of frame (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/2759179-cannot-get-rear-fx3-shock-out-of-frame.html)

92ragtop 01-15-2011 05:32 PM

Cannot get rear FX3 shock out of frame

I cannot get the rear FX3 shock out of the upper mount. Both upper bolts are off the plate, and the shock is hanging. According to the FSM, the shock should now just drop out of the hole in the frame. However, something is stopping it from doing so, almost like the rubber bushing is too large for the hole. I've tried prying down on the mounting plate, but the top of the shock will simply not pull through the hole.
What am I missing? Is there some secret trick?

Also, once the shock is out, is the FX3 connector easy to get at? The FSM says not to let it fall inside the frame. How do you keep it from doing that once the new shock is in. (I'm not replacing with FX3.)

Here are photos of the top of the chock and diagrams from the FSM.

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_2980.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_2983.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/l...s/IMG_2982.jpg

c4cruiser 01-15-2011 06:35 PM

Could be that the upper rubber bushing has compressed to the point that it's a wider diameter than the hole.

Have you tried using a big pry bar between the frame rail and the mounting plate?? Maybe one that is 2-3' long? If it's just the upper bushing, it should come out with some "persuading". New shocks will have new bushings so if the old one gets ripped or scraped, no biggie.

The harness is long enough to pull out of the hole to reach the connector. Try using a zip tie on the harness and attach it to the threaded end of the shock rod after you attach the mounting plate to the new shock. The wire harness can fall down to the frame kickup and is a real PITA to fish out if you or a subsequent owner decides to go back to the FX3 shocks.

Kubs 01-15-2011 07:25 PM

Look at how tight your SS brakeline is. You either need to unbolt the caliper to get more slack, or just unbolt the bottom of the shock from the knuckle and it will drop right out. The bushing is not bigger than the hole. The only thing holding the FX3 actuator on is a C-clip. :thumbs:

slickfx3 01-15-2011 08:46 PM

pry on it with a dull screwdriver, it's only a shock, FX3 has nothing to do with why it 'feels" stuck.

92ragtop 01-16-2011 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1576521891)
Could be that the upper rubber bushing has compressed to the point that it's a wider diameter than the hole.
That's what I was thinking as well.Have you tried using a big pry bar between the frame rail and the mounting plate?? Yes, but it didn't seem to want to come, so I thought it wise to ask the CF gurus before I broke something.:smash:
The harness is long enough to pull out of the hole to reach the connector. Try using a zip tie on the harness and attach it to the threaded end of the shock rod after you attach the mounting plate to the new shock.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Kubs (Post 1576522302)
Look at how tight your SS brakeline is. Actually it's fine. The hub is at the bottom end of suspension travel in this photo. ... just unbolt the bottom of the shock from the knuckle and it will drop right out. The bushing is not bigger than the hole. Maybe when new, but they are orignal, so must have deformed to the point where they are now wider than the hole. :thumbs:

Now that I know I'm not missing something obvious, I'll just keep at it.

c4cruiser 01-16-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kubs (Post 1576522302)
just unbolt the bottom of the shock from the knuckle and it will drop right out. The bushing is not bigger than the hole. The only thing holding the FX3 actuator on is a C-clip. :thumbs:

:iagree: If you haven't removed the bottom of the shock from the knuckle, the shock would have to be compressed to get the upper part out of the frame rail. Even with the rear suspension hanging and the bottom of the shock still installed, there is still more travel left. The FX3 shock is gas-filled and it will extend further.

Raise the suspension up about 3" and remove the lower shock nut and slide the shock off the mounting knuckle. The upper part will then simply drop out of the frame.

socalman 01-16-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by c4cruiser (Post 1576526049)
:iagree: If you haven't removed the bottom of the shock from the knuckle, the shock would have to be compressed to get the upper part out of the frame rail. Even with the rear suspension hanging and the bottom of the shock still installed, there is still more travel left. The FX3 shock is gas-filled and it will extend further.

Raise the suspension up about 3" and remove the lower shock nut and slide the shock off the mounting knuckle. The upper part will then simply drop out of the frame.

:iagree: Hopefully you had the car set on the 'mildest' setting, opens the passage allowing you to muscle the shock up (grabbing the bottom) and compress it up and out.

92ragtop 01-17-2011 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=c4cruiser;1576526049Raise the suspension up about 3" and remove the lower shock nut and slide the shock off the mounting knuckle. The upper part will then simply drop out of the frame.[/QUOTE]

The shock is off the lower stud already. It's just that for some reason the upper rubber bushing is now of a diameter somewhat larger than the hole in the frame. I'll just have to figure out a way to pry it out.

socalman 01-17-2011 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by 92ragtop (Post 1576534571)
The shock is off the lower stud already. It's just that for some reason the upper rubber bushing is now of a diameter somewhat larger than the hole in the frame. I'll just have to figure out a way to pry it out.

So the bottom is hanging free?

92ragtop 01-17-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by socalman (Post 1576535383)
So the bottom is hanging free?

Yup, just like a cheap hooker.

socalman 01-17-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 92ragtop (Post 1576538179)
Yup, just like a cheap hooker.

then you got a swollen rubber :lol:

92ragtop 01-18-2011 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by socalman (Post 1576539978)
then you got a swollen rubber :lol:

:iagree: I finally got it out, (the shock that is), and the top bushing was swollen up like an old man's prostate. I ended up drilling and cutting out chunks of the bushing while prying down on the mounting plate. Finally got enough of it removed that I was able to pull the shock out of the frame hole. At least if the other side has the same problem, I know what do.

p.s. Most guys would never admit that their rubber was too big.