C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cannot get rear FX3 shock out of frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:32 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Default Cannot get rear FX3 shock out of frame

I cannot get the rear FX3 shock out of the upper mount. Both upper bolts are off the plate, and the shock is hanging. According to the FSM, the shock should now just drop out of the hole in the frame. However, something is stopping it from doing so, almost like the rubber bushing is too large for the hole. I've tried prying down on the mounting plate, but the top of the shock will simply not pull through the hole.
What am I missing? Is there some secret trick?

Also, once the shock is out, is the FX3 connector easy to get at? The FSM says not to let it fall inside the frame. How do you keep it from doing that once the new shock is in. (I'm not replacing with FX3.)

Here are photos of the top of the chock and diagrams from the FSM.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Could be that the upper rubber bushing has compressed to the point that it's a wider diameter than the hole.

Have you tried using a big pry bar between the frame rail and the mounting plate?? Maybe one that is 2-3' long? If it's just the upper bushing, it should come out with some "persuading". New shocks will have new bushings so if the old one gets ripped or scraped, no biggie.

The harness is long enough to pull out of the hole to reach the connector. Try using a zip tie on the harness and attach it to the threaded end of the shock rod after you attach the mounting plate to the new shock. The wire harness can fall down to the frame kickup and is a real PITA to fish out if you or a subsequent owner decides to go back to the FX3 shocks.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:25 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,768 Likes on 945 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Look at how tight your SS brakeline is. You either need to unbolt the caliper to get more slack, or just unbolt the bottom of the shock from the knuckle and it will drop right out. The bushing is not bigger than the hole. The only thing holding the FX3 actuator on is a C-clip.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

pry on it with a dull screwdriver, it's only a shock, FX3 has nothing to do with why it 'feels" stuck.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Could be that the upper rubber bushing has compressed to the point that it's a wider diameter than the hole.
That's what I was thinking as well.Have you tried using a big pry bar between the frame rail and the mounting plate?? Yes, but it didn't seem to want to come, so I thought it wise to ask the CF gurus before I broke something.
The harness is long enough to pull out of the hole to reach the connector. Try using a zip tie on the harness and attach it to the threaded end of the shock rod after you attach the mounting plate to the new shock.
Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Kubs
Look at how tight your SS brakeline is. Actually it's fine. The hub is at the bottom end of suspension travel in this photo. ... just unbolt the bottom of the shock from the knuckle and it will drop right out. The bushing is not bigger than the hole. Maybe when new, but they are orignal, so must have deformed to the point where they are now wider than the hole.
Now that I know I'm not missing something obvious, I'll just keep at it.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:28 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Kubs
just unbolt the bottom of the shock from the knuckle and it will drop right out. The bushing is not bigger than the hole. The only thing holding the FX3 actuator on is a C-clip.
If you haven't removed the bottom of the shock from the knuckle, the shock would have to be compressed to get the upper part out of the frame rail. Even with the rear suspension hanging and the bottom of the shock still installed, there is still more travel left. The FX3 shock is gas-filled and it will extend further.

Raise the suspension up about 3" and remove the lower shock nut and slide the shock off the mounting knuckle. The upper part will then simply drop out of the frame.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:50 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If you haven't removed the bottom of the shock from the knuckle, the shock would have to be compressed to get the upper part out of the frame rail. Even with the rear suspension hanging and the bottom of the shock still installed, there is still more travel left. The FX3 shock is gas-filled and it will extend further.

Raise the suspension up about 3" and remove the lower shock nut and slide the shock off the mounting knuckle. The upper part will then simply drop out of the frame.
Hopefully you had the car set on the 'mildest' setting, opens the passage allowing you to muscle the shock up (grabbing the bottom) and compress it up and out.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

[QUOTE=c4cruiser;1576526049Raise the suspension up about 3" and remove the lower shock nut and slide the shock off the mounting knuckle. The upper part will then simply drop out of the frame.[/QUOTE]

The shock is off the lower stud already. It's just that for some reason the upper rubber bushing is now of a diameter somewhat larger than the hole in the frame. I'll just have to figure out a way to pry it out.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:17 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
The shock is off the lower stud already. It's just that for some reason the upper rubber bushing is now of a diameter somewhat larger than the hole in the frame. I'll just have to figure out a way to pry it out.
So the bottom is hanging free?
Old 01-17-2011, 05:32 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by socalman
So the bottom is hanging free?
Yup, just like a cheap hooker.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:26 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Yup, just like a cheap hooker.
then you got a swollen rubber
Old 01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by socalman
then you got a swollen rubber
I finally got it out, (the shock that is), and the top bushing was swollen up like an old man's prostate. I ended up drilling and cutting out chunks of the bushing while prying down on the mounting plate. Finally got enough of it removed that I was able to pull the shock out of the frame hole. At least if the other side has the same problem, I know what do.

p.s. Most guys would never admit that their rubber was too big.

Get notified of new replies

To Cannot get rear FX3 shock out of frame

Quick Reply: Cannot get rear FX3 shock out of frame