CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   [Z06] My nuts are missing!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/2936213-my-nuts-are-missing.html)

Zap City 10-21-2011 11:15 PM

My nuts are missing!!

Took the car in to have bullets installed this afternoon. While it was in the air, I decided to have a look to see if it had been lowered. The telltale 2 threads were showing on the rear, but there appeared to be NO nuts or grommets on the front bolts!! What the hell-o???? I have no idea why they were missing or how long they've been gone. I checked with one of the local dealers and he didn't have any in stock, plus GM's exploded diagram made them almost impossible to identify to source the part number. Any idea where I can find the number or the actual name of the bolts? What are the ramifications of running without them??

bearphoto 10-22-2011 12:06 AM

I dont know where to find those nuts but for darn sure i'm checkin for mine! Yup, alls good here!

striper 10-22-2011 01:30 AM

It's been a long time since I lowered my car but I don't remember there being any nuts. Besides, if it's lowered all the way down I don't think you'd need them anyway, if they were there in the first place.

mph1972 10-22-2011 03:16 AM

There are no nuts. It is a long bolt with rubber bushings on the bottom of it. The top of the bolt is a fitting designed to slide a 10mm ratchet or sock over so you can raise or lower. I can understand why you would think that a nut was missing, but I have had four C-5s and all were the same setup.

-Micah

Zap City 10-22-2011 08:03 AM

Ok I think I may have figured this one out. I was comparing my front end to pix on another forum. I believe that poster mistakenly published pix of the front bolts as rear because they look the same. I checked other DIY threads. What I am missing are the retainers that go on the top of the front bolts. Did they come with them in 04?

LS2NSUV 10-22-2011 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Zap City (Post 1579022426)
Took the car in to have bullets installed this afternoon. While it was in the air, I decided to have a look to see if it had been lowered. The telltale 2 threads were showing on the rear, but there appeared to be NO nuts or grommets on the front bolts!! What the hell-o???? I have no idea why they were missing or how long they've been gone. I checked with one of the local dealers and he didn't have any in stock, plus GM's exploded diagram made them almost impossible to identify to source the part number. Any idea where I can find the number or the actual name of the bolts? What are the ramifications of running without them??

Ask the wife...she might have them. :lolg:

GettinMyKicksNaZO6 10-22-2011 10:00 AM

That's scary...

Zap City 10-22-2011 11:47 AM

I've made it a point not to get one of those of that very reason my friend.:crazy2:

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV (Post 1579023952)
Ask the wife...she might have them. :lolg:

hotwheels57 10-22-2011 12:01 PM

The thin metal retainers are not really needed. They're supposed to insure a fastener will not completely back out/fall out. That's not an issue with the adjustment bolts trapped in the front spring/control arm.

If it concerns you, you could probably find the retainers at McMASTER_CARR or similar specialty vendors.

FYI, the oem C5/Z06 adjustment bolts are not available separately from GM. You have to buy new springs. I believe you can buy oem C6/Z06 adjustment bolts separately which is odd. You can also buy replacement adjustment bolts separately from the after market. Try ZIP'S or HARDBAR USA.

Zap City 10-22-2011 07:44 PM

Thanks. I'm all cool now that I got it figured out. That's what I get for looking at lesser forums ;)

Originally Posted by hotwheels57 (Post 1579025223)
The thin metal retainers are not really needed. They're supposed to insure a fastener will not completely back out/fall out. That's not an issue with the adjustment bolts trapped in the front spring/control arm.

If it concerns you, you could probably find the retainers at McMASTER_CARR or similar specialty vendors.

FYI, the oem C5/Z06 adjustment bolts are not available separately from GM. You have to buy new springs. I believe you can buy oem C6/Z06 adjustment bolts separately which is odd. You can also buy replacement adjustment bolts separately from the after market. Try ZIP'S or HARDBAR USA.

TheDVS1 10-26-2011 01:10 AM

Some guys completely remove the bolts to get max lowering...