[Z06] My nuts are missing!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:15 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default My nuts are missing!!

Took the car in to have bullets installed this afternoon. While it was in the air, I decided to have a look to see if it had been lowered. The telltale 2 threads were showing on the rear, but there appeared to be NO nuts or grommets on the front bolts!! What the hell-o???? I have no idea why they were missing or how long they've been gone. I checked with one of the local dealers and he didn't have any in stock, plus GM's exploded diagram made them almost impossible to identify to source the part number. Any idea where I can find the number or the actual name of the bolts? What are the ramifications of running without them??
Old 10-22-2011, 12:06 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I dont know where to find those nuts but for darn sure i'm checkin for mine! Yup, alls good here!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:30 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

It's been a long time since I lowered my car but I don't remember there being any nuts. Besides, if it's lowered all the way down I don't think you'd need them anyway, if they were there in the first place.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:16 AM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

There are no nuts. It is a long bolt with rubber bushings on the bottom of it. The top of the bolt is a fitting designed to slide a 10mm ratchet or sock over so you can raise or lower. I can understand why you would think that a nut was missing, but I have had four C-5s and all were the same setup.

-Micah
Old 10-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Ok I think I may have figured this one out. I was comparing my front end to pix on another forum. I believe that poster mistakenly published pix of the front bolts as rear because they look the same. I checked other DIY threads. What I am missing are the retainers that go on the top of the front bolts. Did they come with them in 04?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:58 AM
LS2NSUV
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
Took the car in to have bullets installed this afternoon. While it was in the air, I decided to have a look to see if it had been lowered. The telltale 2 threads were showing on the rear, but there appeared to be NO nuts or grommets on the front bolts!! What the hell-o???? I have no idea why they were missing or how long they've been gone. I checked with one of the local dealers and he didn't have any in stock, plus GM's exploded diagram made them almost impossible to identify to source the part number. Any idea where I can find the number or the actual name of the bolts? What are the ramifications of running without them??
Ask the wife...she might have them.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 AM
GettinMyKicksNaZO6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's scary...
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

I've made it a point not to get one of those of that very reason my friend.

Originally Posted by LS2NSUV
Ask the wife...she might have them.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The thin metal retainers are not really needed. They're supposed to insure a fastener will not completely back out/fall out. That's not an issue with the adjustment bolts trapped in the front spring/control arm.

If it concerns you, you could probably find the retainers at McMASTER_CARR or similar specialty vendors.

FYI, the oem C5/Z06 adjustment bolts are not available separately from GM. You have to buy new springs. I believe you can buy oem C6/Z06 adjustment bolts separately which is odd. You can also buy replacement adjustment bolts separately from the after market. Try ZIP'S or HARDBAR USA.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 10-22-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:44 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks. I'm all cool now that I got it figured out. That's what I get for looking at lesser forums

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
The thin metal retainers are not really needed. They're supposed to insure a fastener will not completely back out/fall out. That's not an issue with the adjustment bolts trapped in the front spring/control arm.

If it concerns you, you could probably find the retainers at McMASTER_CARR or similar specialty vendors.

FYI, the oem C5/Z06 adjustment bolts are not available separately from GM. You have to buy new springs. I believe you can buy oem C6/Z06 adjustment bolts separately which is odd. You can also buy replacement adjustment bolts separately from the after market. Try ZIP'S or HARDBAR USA.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some guys completely remove the bolts to get max lowering...

Get notified of new replies

To My nuts are missing!!

Quick Reply: [Z06] My nuts are missing!!