CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   no start help here (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/2953629-no-start-help-here.html)

hitmanpty 11-21-2011 06:37 PM

no start help here

new battery

when turn key I can hear the starter motor go click. but the engine not turning.

pleae help

rodj 11-21-2011 06:42 PM

Dirty /worn/bad connections on batt cables
Starter solenoid contacts worn ( common )

hitmanpty 11-21-2011 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by rodj (Post 1579277863)
Dirty /worn/bad connections on batt cables
Starter solenoid contacts worn ( common )

how do you check the battery cables?? how do I know if the Starter solenoid contacts worn

is there any DIY for this???

rodj 11-21-2011 06:52 PM

You say new battery;
did this problem happen after you changed the battery or has battery been in car for a while?
are the cables tight and clean after battery replaced

hitmanpty 11-21-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by rodj (Post 1579277942)
You say new battery;
did this problem happen after you changed the battery or has battery been in car for a while?
are the cables tight and clean after battery replaced

had and other battery that I keep recharging. but at the end even do the battery was full charge, I can only hear the click on the starter selenoid, but no engine turn.

since this battery was 630 amp. and the minimun recomendation for the 1986 vette is 700 amps. i asume that the battery was the problem.

so today I get new battery. with 850 amp. install about 2 hour ago.and same thing. just here the clcik.

the cables look clean on the battery. dont know in the other end.. this cables most be old specialy the positive cable.

dont know for sure since i got the car with those cables.

rodj 11-21-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by hitmanpty (Post 1579278023)
the cables look clean on the battery. dont know in the other end.. this cables most be old specialy the positive cable.

So you need to check the ends of the two main cables before continuing further

Originally Posted by hitmanpty (Post 1579278023)
so today I get new battery. with 850 amp. install about 2 hour ago.and same thing. just here the clcik.

So if the cables check out ,you need to consider that starter is worn out.
With car out of gear and secured run a wire from starter solenoid terminal
( purple wire ) to batt POS terminal
Connect wire at starter end 1st and touch other end on Pos terminal
Does same clicking occur?
If so ,is starter problem.
If starter works properly , you have a problem with wiring from key to starter

pcolt94 11-21-2011 08:23 PM

After you do all these suggestions and check the cables, I will bet you will need a starter. The starter will come with the solonoid which might be the core of the problem.

hitmanpty 11-22-2011 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by rodj (Post 1579278816)
So you need to check the ends of the two main cables before continuing further

So if the cables check out ,you need to consider that starter is worn out.
With car out of gear and secured run a wire from starter solenoid terminal
( purple wire ) to batt POS terminal
Connect wire at starter end 1st and touch other end on Pos terminal
Does same clicking occur?
If so ,is starter problem.
If starter works properly , you have a problem with wiring from key to starter

before I remove the old battery. I had a direct wire from the battery to the starter. It was activate with a push bottom. ( the car came that way).

first the car start this way with out a problem, but as the time past it become more dificult to start, at the end, I push the buttom I only hear the clcik. that is the main reason I get a new battery. them I remove the push bottom cable, now I use the key for start.

I guest if before a wire was connected direct to battery and the problem was the same. them the problem is the starter. right????

hitmanpty 11-22-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by pcolt94 (Post 1579278843)
After you do all these suggestions and check the cables, I will bet you will need a starter. The starter will come with the solonoid which might be the core of the problem.

Iam begining to belive. that is the problem.

jfb 11-22-2011 02:01 PM

If you can hear the solenoid click, it is ok. At the end of the solenoid stroke, two large copper contacts are forced together that switch current to the starter motor. These contacts get black and pitted and then don't make a low enough resistance connection to allow enough starter motor current to allow for cranking. I measured the starter current on my 87 this past Spring at 240 amps. Those contacts are replaceable and a lot cheaper than another starter motor. One experiment you can do is to continue hitting crank over and over and the banging of these contacts eventually makes a good connection and the starter motor will crank. I had this problem after work 2 yrs ago and that is what got me home.

383vett 11-22-2011 02:52 PM

I would just change the starter and be done with it.

hitmanpty 11-22-2011 03:23 PM

if I get this solenoid. (please see link) will this fix my problem. or I just have to clean some contact inside the starter???????

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z5Z50000050F#

hitmanpty 11-22-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1579285062)
I would just change the starter and be done with it.

by saing the starter . are you talking about the all starter motor???

mypantera 11-22-2011 04:28 PM

this sounds like the starter solenoid has failed. You will need to disconnect the battery, disconnect the wires at the starter then drop the starter down from the engine. On many of the older GM starters, you could remove the solenoid from the starter, loosen and rotate the the large brass lugs on the solenoid and hook everything back up. In most cases this will fix the problem at least temporarily until you can buy a new solenoid.

good luck

hitmanpty 11-22-2011 04:40 PM

I will tell every one the true. at lunch time I when out and get my self a new solenoid. it cost me $12.63.

this weekend I will drop the all starter and change the solenoid, and check everything ealse on the starter

jfb 11-23-2011 12:17 AM

Let me repeat myself. If you can hear the starter solenoid click, then there isn't anything wrong with the solenoid. Your problem is with the copper contacts the solenoid forces together to switch current to the starter motor. You just spent $12 for nothing and just replacing the solenoid will not fix your problem.

AGENT 86 11-23-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jfb (Post 1579290043)
Let me repeat myself. If you can hear the starter solenoid click, then there isn't anything wrong with the solenoid. Your problem is with the copper contacts the solenoid forces together to switch current to the starter motor. You just spent $12 for nothing and just replacing the solenoid will not fix your problem.

I have seen many a starter problem be fixed with a new solenoid. Your still going to hear a click if the contacts are burnt, yet have no output to starter motor.
He got a solenoid for $12, that something, not nothing. :D

hitmanpty 11-23-2011 09:44 AM

ok. I will check the contact when I got the starter out. if they look bad. I will change them or clean them. what ever is best.

I all ready get the solenoid. nothing I can do about it now.

pcolt94 11-23-2011 02:20 PM

I thought the contacts came with the solenoid. Last solenoid I replaced which was years back I think I got the contacts. Be as it may if the solenoid does not come with the contacts, that could be a problem.

But in the last few years I stopped replacing solenoids. With my luck I ended up with a bad starter two times not to long after that. Now I just get a starter (+solenoid) with a lifetime guarantee and I’m done with it. Seems to be working for me but that’s just my current outlook.:)

hitmanpty 11-23-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by pcolt94 (Post 1579294307)
I thought the contacts came with the solenoid. Last solenoid I replaced which was years back I think I got the contacts. Be as it may if the solenoid does not come with the contacts, that could be a problem.:)

But in the last few years I stopped replacing solenoids. With my luck I ended up with a bad starter two times not to long after that. Now I just get a starter with a lifetime guarantee and I’m done with it. Seems to be working for me but that’s just my current outlook.

I did not see no contact on my new solenoid. anyway. in case I need new ones I know a place I can get them very cheap