CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   How difficult is it to remove body panels from C5 for painting (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/3014701-how-difficult-is-it-to-remove-body-panels-from-c5-for-painting.html)

azmusclecar 03-06-2012 05:21 PM

How difficult is it to remove body panels from C5 for painting

I tried using our search function using this:
C5 removal of body panels for painting

and didn't find very satisfactory results.

My question is:

What panels CAN AND NEED to be removed.

What panels which like the roof will need to be painted on the car?

How are the door sills done?

How difficult is it to remove the panels????

I work at a place that has a paint booth and they paint large trucks. I asked the tech about how much he would charge and he said it depends on how much prep I do on a C5.........

I want a quality paint job so panel removal is my goal....and I will need to do all the taping and panel removal and so forth. The tech just wants to do the paint spray.........

....so please tell me........what am I in for?????????????????

thanks for any input.

AZ

jdub2k5 03-06-2012 05:34 PM

since you are in mechanicsburg I am gonna sneak my car into my semi trailer next time I go to reckitt plant there and have him do mine 2.

from what I can see it is not hard just time consuming almost every exterior piece comes off

hotwheels57 03-06-2012 05:38 PM

Isn't that Acura enough for you Rob? :lol:

mre1974 03-06-2012 05:38 PM

From what I understand the process is more time consuming than difficult. As in any paint job the prep work will make the biggest difference. I'll be following this and hope your results turn out well. I'd love to do a full color change on my FRC but don't have the time or the $$ to do it. Good luck and keep us posted.

White Rabbit 03-06-2012 05:40 PM

its not hard at all..

Door Sills are glued in place, you can take everything off basically but those.
Or more that they arent worth taking off. he can paint them on the car. For the rest its basically a giant Lego puzzle..

azmusclecar 03-06-2012 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by hotwheels57 (Post 1580204596)
Isn't that Acura enough for you Rob? :lol:

That Acura is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong gone........no more front wheel drives for me........as my friend you should have bought it from me:toetap: or at least been a shil for my EBay listing........:rofl:

azmusclecar 03-06-2012 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by White Rabbit (Post 1580204608)
its not hard at all..

Door Sills are glued in place, you can take everything off basically but those.
Or more that they arent worth taking off. he can paint them on the car. For the rest its basically a giant Lego puzzle..

Oh great..........I never had Legos as a child...............I guess I need to find a lawyer:smash::smash: and sue my parents for neglect..:thumbs:......this way I can pay for my paint job....:yesnod:..........

azmusclecar 03-06-2012 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by mre1974 (Post 1580204597)
From what I understand the process is more time consuming than difficult. As in any paint job the prep work will make the biggest difference. I'll be following this and hope your results turn out well. I'd love to do a full color change on my FRC but don't have the time or the $$ to do it. Good luck and keep us posted.

It is a full color change on the C5............thus my question.......if it's worth doing............it's worth doing right..............

Dave1998 03-06-2012 09:40 PM

You should PM "4DRUSH" here. He took all his panels off for repaint.
Dave

209TIME!!! 03-06-2012 09:56 PM

You really don't need to take the car apart to paint it if you are not doing a full color change!

rtpassini 03-06-2012 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!! (Post 1580207226)
You really don't need to take the car apart to paint it if you are not doing a full color change!

....2 posts up he bolded the point that he is doing a full color change.

azmusclecar 03-07-2012 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1998 (Post 1580207039)
You should PM "4DRUSH" here. He took all his panels off for repaint.
Dave

thank you for the lead, I'll PM him for his insight. Thanks again. AZ

fendermender 03-07-2012 09:20 AM

I'm at this point with my own project. The front end panels are only temporarily fitted so that's a no brainer. I haven't decided on the back end stuff yet. I'm thinking doing the doors and obviously the rockers on the car. No color change but every panel has some sort of minor defect and I want the paint all the same.

I think the GM manual would be a good source on the removal and replacement process. I can tell you that a rechargable drill/driver really speeds things up since it is mostly little screws.

Vetteman Jack 03-07-2012 09:39 AM

As others have said, more time consuming than difficult. Getting the panels back on and aligned may be the hardest part. Good luck with this if you do it.

azmusclecar 03-07-2012 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=
I think the GM manual would be a good source on the removal and replacement process. I can tell you that a rechargable drill/driver really speeds things up since it is mostly little screws.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing with the manuals.......I've never seen one and was wondering if there is specific instructions on disassembly and assembly regarding all the body panels.......

time is on my side..........so it taking long is okay with me.........I want to do the job right, not fast........and being the perfectionist I am.......I'm very particular when it's all said and done.........