CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Hard Water & Washing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/3016981-hard-water-and-washing.html)

Sixgun95 03-10-2012 10:33 AM

Hard Water & Washing

Hard water at the house, every time I wash all I end up with is hard water spots. Any idea how to /what product can be used so I dont have to spend hours removing the hard water spots? Considered waterless car wash but I only see that creating swirl marks.

pewter99 03-10-2012 10:36 AM

thats why I use the water from my water softner and it still has some spots...I hear the Mr Clean car wash thing works well for that

Street Rat 03-10-2012 10:45 AM

Autogeek sells inline softners/filters for your garden hose. You may try that route.

Roughrider 03-10-2012 11:36 AM

I go to Wal Mart and buy an inline water filter made for RV's that threads into the hose line. Inexpensive and works well. I replace it maybe every two years.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 03-10-2012 03:10 PM

Optimum No Rinse has a water conditioner in it, I know of many that add a capful in their normal wash soap and have nothing but positive results.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-no-rinse.html

We also carry two products that can be used effectively, one is an attachment to your current water system and the other is the CrSpotless System.

dun4791 03-11-2012 10:35 AM

I bought the cr spotless from auto geek, works perfectly and I have very hard water. Highly recommended

tampatopless 03-11-2012 05:23 PM

How are you drying it? We have really hard water down here in Fla and I once used a leaf blower to dry it. Bad move. If you blow dry a car with my water supply with anything - master blaster, leaf blower, etc. - you get water marks. They were a bear to get off, too.

What I do is just keep rinsing as I wash. I always keep the car hosed down. Even if I am on the other side, I will rinse down the opposite side, the hood and trunk just to keep it wet.

Then I use two fairly large microfiber towels I got from Target. After the last rinse, I hit the windshield and the hood and the trunk first and I am moving pretty fast just to get the majority of the water off. The hood, trunk and windshield and windows are probably most susceptible to the water spots.

The first towel is pretty wet by that point, so I just toss it in the laundry basket and use the second to finish the sides and go back over the hood, trunk and windshield.

Then I'm either waxing or quick-waxing. The key is keeping the whole car wet during washing and to move pretty quickly when you first dry.

RetiredSFC 97 03-14-2012 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by tampatopless (Post 1580249971)
How are you drying it? We have really hard water down here in Fla and I once used a leaf blower to dry it. Bad move. If you blow dry a car with my water supply with anything - master blaster, leaf blower, etc. - you get water marks. They were a bear to get off, too.

What I do is just keep rinsing as I wash. I always keep the car hosed down. Even if I am on the other side, I will rinse down the opposite side, the hood and trunk just to keep it wet.

Then I use two fairly large microfiber towels I got from Target. After the last rinse, I hit the windshield and the hood and the trunk first and I am moving pretty fast just to get the majority of the water off. The hood, trunk and windshield and windows are probably most susceptible to the water spots.

The first towel is pretty wet by that point, so I just toss it in the laundry basket and use the second to finish the sides and go back over the hood, trunk and windshield.

Then I'm either waxing or quick-waxing. The key is keeping the whole car wet during washing and to move pretty quickly when you first dry.

That's what I do as well. Wash and rinse wash and rinse wash and rinse

Then dry.

The trick also is to not wash in the heat/sun of the day. I typically wash mine in the evening when the sun is going down and not so intense.

BUT, you can wash completely and then dry as long as you go back over it with a detailer of some sort. That's not long enough to develop water spots.

Killrwheels@Autogeek 03-14-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by tampatopless (Post 1580249971)

try this ....

mix up a spray of Optimum No Rinse and Water in a Quick Detailer form. Then remove the excess water with the leaf blower or MasterBlaster outside of direct sunlight. Go back and spritz each panel one to two times and wipe off. The conditioner will help with hard water and the wipe with a well lubricated spray will not leave any marring and leave some gloss too. :cheers:

ufso 03-22-2012 11:07 AM

One way to remove a lot of the water is to remove the nozzle and then hose off the car. More of the water drains off in sheets. It really helps if you have tons of coats of wax/sealer on the car.

Mikado463 03-25-2012 09:41 PM

hard water here as well..........always wash / rinse in the shade, properly waxed car 'always' washes easily, dry only with a quality chamois, any residual 'marks' easily taken care of with Meguiars 'Detail' spray.