CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   2 piece rotors, your suggestions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3187343-2-piece-rotors-your-suggestions.html)

Toilets 12-23-2012 05:59 PM

2 piece rotors, your suggestions

I will be doing Hpde events only and autox for this season. Currently, I have racing brake 2 piece now both front and rear. I like them but wanted to see what others have and their thoughts about them. I seen DBA 2 piece ones but am not sure on the weight savings. The RB ones I have are 10 pounds lighter each for the front.

Any suggestions on replacements?

JDIllon 12-23-2012 06:06 PM

AFX Performance, Bob is a great guy and the rotors work really well. Alot better setup than the RB stuff. Just my .02 JD

davidfarmer 12-23-2012 06:08 PM

if it's for DE, screw the weight savings. Go with something that will save money (either cheaper, or much longer lasting). Investing in your driving will net performance increase much more than a few ounces in your brake rotors.

Bill Dearborn 12-23-2012 08:53 PM

I have the AFX rotors. Fronts haven't worked out well. They don't last any longer than the stock rotors and cost 2.5 times as much. However, the AFX rear rotors far outlast the the stock rotors while only costing 2 times as much. Good deal in the rear and bad deal in the front.

Bill

yooper 12-23-2012 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1582642925)
I have the AFX rotors. Fronts haven't worked out well. They don't last any longer than the stock rotors and cost 2.5 times as much. However, the AFX rear rotors far outlast the the stock rotors while only costing 2 times as much. Good deal in the rear and bad deal in the front.

Bill

What Front rotors do you reccomend if running C6 Z06 front calipers on C5 at Road America?

MarkDFW 12-23-2012 10:20 PM

For the money you shell out on two piece rotors on all four corners, you may want to hold off, save up, and get a big brake kit. AP and Stoptech have great systems and pads are cheaper, you probably wont have to bleed brakes as much so you may come out ahead in the long run. Their rotors are also about $250 each compared with higher priced AFX rotors. If you are in it for the long haul, a BBK will eventually pay for itself. Just my .02 cents

JDIllon 12-24-2012 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by MarkDFW (Post 1582643512)
For the money you shell out on two piece rotors on all four corners, you may want to hold off, save up, and get a big brake kit. AP and Stoptech have great systems and pads are cheaper, you probably wont have to bleed brakes as much so you may come out ahead in the long run. Their rotors are also about $250 each compared with higher priced AFX rotors. If you are in it for the long haul, a BBK will eventually pay for itself. Just my .02 cents

:thumbs: I agree, that is the best advice! I have been running Stoptech's for 6 years and the rotors last well and pads are priced well.:rock: JD

MarkDFW 12-24-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by JDIllon (Post 1582645569)
:thumbs: I agree, that is the best advice! I have been running Stoptech's for 6 years and the rotors last well and pads are priced well.:rock: JD

I am having st60 installed up front next month and will run stock rear calipers. I am pumped. :rock:

Z06cool 12-24-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1582642925)

Bill

I have come to the exact same conclusion...:thumbs:

GettReal 12-24-2012 11:32 AM

I am now a convert for the AP racing / Hardbar T1 2piece rotors with J hooks. These rotors have held up for 1 1/2 seasons for me (15+ DE days). I am going to need to order a new set for this season but they are amazing. The initial costs might "seem" high, but when you consider that you will get an entire season or more out of them, the consumable cost per event is really low, and you don't need to change multiple sets out throughout the year. The good news is going forward you only have to buy the replacement rings which are pretty cheap.

2 cents deposited. :cheers:

blueekb 12-26-2012 06:14 PM

I use DBA 5000 fronts and 4000 rears. Before stock rotors would only last me a few sessoins to maybe a whole weekend if I was lucky. I ran all of last year on one set of fronts about 10 weekends and they still have not cracked. They look really bad (heat checking) but no cracks. The rears lasted about 5 weekends before I cracked one.

I don't think there is any weight savings at all but they last a long time and I love not having to change rotors out at the track. Worth the money to me. :cheers:

MarkDFW 12-26-2012 07:31 PM

I still say if you are going to buy 2 piece rotors on all for corners for over $1,000, you are about halfway to the cost of a full big brake kit up front such as stoptech or AP hardbar setup. Pads for those setups are typically cheaper than stock pads and much thicker, and don't require bleeding as often. Remove the emotion from the decision, do the math and figure how long to break even, then make a decision. 80% of braking is up front and plenty of guys stay with stock setup in the rear.