CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general-119/)
-   -   1969 Vert - Inspection recommendations request (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-general/3535214-1969-vert-inspection-recommendations-request.html)

pmcarman 09-18-2014 06:00 PM

1969 Vert - Inspection recommendations request

Greetings all!

I've been searching for a daily driver 1969 vert in Florida, and have come across one in south Florida (south of Ft. Pierce) that's a possibility.

That said, not numbers match, and it's got some dings and scars and... well, the usual... While I know $25k is def too high for the car, for what I want it for (daily driver, tinkering project), I'm trying to find out what it's actually worth retail (I'm guessing $15-19k - enough of the bones are there to have a driver that needs some paint and love, but has the spirit).

Are there any inspection companies that anyone recommends? I know I can see the big stuff, but looking for someone who does this on a regular basis that's impartial.

Thanks in advance! -Paul

Easy Mike 09-19-2014 07:44 AM

You could probably have the car inspected/appraised at your expense, (unless you and the seller reach an agreement to share the cost), but it may prove to be meaningless. If the seller has $22-$25 in mind and not likely to dicker, he/she won't give a hoot about a figure from an appraiser.

:thumbs:

Vette Fetish 09-19-2014 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by pmcarman (Post 1587861699)
Greetings all!

I've been searching for a daily driver 1969 vert in Florida, and have come across one in south Florida (south of Ft. Pierce) that's a possibility.

That said, not numbers match, and it's got some dings and scars and... well, the usual... While I know $25k is def too high for the car, for what I want it for (daily driver, tinkering project), I'm trying to find out what it's actually worth retail (I'm guessing $15-19k - enough of the bones are there to have a driver that needs some paint and love, but has the spirit).

Are there any inspection companies that anyone recommends? I know I can see the big stuff, but looking for someone who does this on a regular basis that's impartial.

Thanks in advance! -Paul

Classic Auto Trader has inspectors which you can hire. I almost used their service a month ago before purchasing my 73.Sort of wish I had......

vettebuyer6369 09-20-2014 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Easy Mike (Post 1587865035)
You could probably have the car inspected/appraised at your expense, (unless you and the seller reach an agreement to share the cost), but it may prove to be meaningless. If the seller has $22-$25 in mind and not likely to dicker, he/she won't give a hoot about a figure from an appraiser.

:thumbs:

Mike's right. You can hire an inspector (not an appraiser) for your own personal information and guidance, but a seller probably wont particularly care what he has to say.

Most appraisals arent worth the paper they are written on and often are done by non Corvette guys. They may be useful to convince your insurance company of a certain number (whether its right or not) but not much else.

If you hire an inspector for your personal buying assistance, get someone who specifically knows Corvettes and has experience with the model you are dealing with. Id never contact someone who does "all models." They probably know a minimum about everything. Id want someone who knows what to look at on the car you are considering, not someone who can also inspect a Mustang or a Road Runner.

gunnerja 09-20-2014 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by pmcarman (Post 1587861699)
Greetings all!

Thanks in advance! -Paul

Example, I just bought last month 69 vert (both tops) daytona yellow on a scale of 1-10 easiliy a 9+ inside outside etc. Side pipes to boot (factory though not original) and I gave 26k. sounds like priced way tooo high.