CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Does an air intake mod void warranty? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3637010-does-an-air-intake-mod-void-warranty.html)

dcher 04-14-2015 07:38 PM

Does an air intake mod void warranty?

I understand that there are some great after market air intake options that enhance HP. My question is whether anyone knows definitively whether such a mod would void the warranty. Seems like a straightforward thing to do assuming the warranty remains intact. I have my doubts. Any thoughts?

Vegas1500 04-14-2015 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by dcher (Post 1589417309)
I understand that there are some great after market air intake options that enhance HP. My question is whether anyone knows definitively whether such a mod would void the warranty. Seems like a straightforward thing to do assuming the warranty remains intact. I have my doubts. Any thoughts?

I think if you had engine issues and they seen it on there......bad news for you. In my experience, if you want no hassle warranty, don't give the dealer any outs.....keep it stock or be prepared for the worst.

dcher 04-14-2015 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vegas1500 (Post 1589417520)
I think if you had engine issues and they seen it on there......bad news for you. In my experience, if you want no hassle warranty, don't give the dealer any outs.....keep it stock or be prepared for the worst.

Makes sense. No sense taking a chance. Its not like we are lacking for HP or torque

Chicago1 04-14-2015 08:09 PM

This should be a sticky same question has been asked since beginning of warranties. ..No one can tell you for sure except maybe your dealer. if you install a intake and say your rear brakes take a dump well yeah that will be covered under warranty..lets say your engine blows up...They can deny warranty and you can't do crap about it unless you go to battle with them in court and prove that the intake did not cause the blown engine...$$$ So mod it thinking you don't have a powertrain warranty or talk to the dealer/service department and see what they say or what they allow. There are some guys that take their modded cars and the dealer doesn't care. then you have the dealers that if you put a airfreshner in your car they want to deny everything(exaggeration but you get my point)

Point is you are going to get a million replies and opinions. No one will give you a answer that you can take to the bank except for you and the service/warranty department. Plain and simple

dcher 04-14-2015 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chicago1 (Post 1589417593)
This should be a sticky same question has been asked since beginning of warranties. ..No one can tell you for sure except maybe your dealer. if you install a intake and say your rear brakes take a dump well yeah that will be covered under warranty..lets say your engine blows up...They can deny warranty and you can't do crap about it unless you go to battle with them in court and prove that the intake did not cause the blown engine...$$$ So mod it thinking you don't have a powertrain warranty or talk to the dealer/service department and see what they say or what they allow. There are some guys that take their modded cars and the dealer doesn't care. then you have the dealers that if you put a airfreshner in your car they want to deny everything(exaggeration but you get my point)

Point is you are going to get a million replies and opinions. No one will give you a answer that you can take to the bank except for you and the service/warranty department. Plain and simple

Thanks for your feedback. However, if you developed an engine problem and simply changed back to the stock air intake would it be possible to diagnose that the engine problem was caused by a change in air flow? I suspect this would be something that GM would have to determine, not the dealer.

firstgear 04-14-2015 08:21 PM

And no one is going to spend the money, not even GM to prove that the intake you had on and then took off caused the problem.....

dcher 04-14-2015 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by firstgear (Post 1589417686)
And no one is going to spend the money, not even GM to prove that the intake you had on and then took off caused the problem.....

Just spoke to my dealer who indicated that an air intake system should not cause a warranty issue. So I am going for it. Does anyone know if the Halltech group buy is still available?

foreverfuelie 04-14-2015 09:12 PM

It may not void your warranty but, reading the SCCA's Solo rules, it will move your car out of the "Street Stock" class. I was hoping that was not the case because I really want to buy the Halltech "Stinger" for the additional hp and cool looks.

dcher 04-14-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie (Post 1589418094)
It may not void your warranty but, reading the SCCA's Solo rules, it will move your car out of the "Street Stock" class. I was hoping that was not the case because I really want to buy the Halltech "Stinger" for the additional hp and cool looks.

Understood. But one can easily go back to stock when necessary. . Then on the street you can enjoy the extra 50 HP.

phantasms 04-14-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by foreverfuelie (Post 1589418094)

Go for it. You can uninstall the intake in 5 minutes when you go to a SCCA event. :thumbs:

dcher 04-14-2015 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by phantasms (Post 1589418113)
Go for it. You can uninstall the intake in 5 minutes when you go to a SCCA event. :thumbs:

Just placed my order for a Halltech unit. Can't wait to give it a try

jaden61 04-14-2015 10:41 PM

Quick 2 hour decision, way faster than me!

cossan512 04-14-2015 11:27 PM

Talked to my dealer, not a problem. It really depends on your dealer.

PRE-Z06 04-14-2015 11:41 PM

Rear brakes may not be covered if premature wear was from increased power as the owner never turned off the stability control and wasn't constantly putting pedal to the medal early around every corner lol

nethomas 04-15-2015 01:16 AM

Is it simple to replace the old with the new? Is it a simple take off old and put on the new, or does it require removing bolts etc?

DLC7 04-15-2015 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by cossan512 (Post 1589419158)

Got that in writing, did ja?

SMFCPACFP 04-15-2015 03:44 AM

Well said! If people have warranty issues talk to the people at GM who make warranty decisions. Having someone on this forum back slap you and say it is OK, would give me no confidence what so ever.

foreverfuelie 04-15-2015 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by phantasms (Post 1589418113)

Wow! I had no idea the system would change out (R&R) so easily.:cool: From the pictures, it looks as though the radiator/hood air duct needs to be removed as well as a hose or two. Great news, thanks Gene.:thumbs:

redzone 04-15-2015 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by cossan512 (Post 1589419158)

With small stuff yeah. But if you have a catastrophic failure, GM will be the one making the decision with no input from your dealer. I know that historically many mfg's have overlooked a CAI when it comes to warranty work, but up until now they really haven't been that effective(as a stand alone mod) of increasing horsepower. But adding 50 RWHP is something they are going to care about. There is no free lunch.

And for those saying just take it off before going to the dealer if you have a problem, not if, but when, GM sees that the air/fuel ratios were off (not to mention the extra pound or so of boost achieved), they'll be well within their rights to deny powertrain coverage.

SMFCPACFP 04-15-2015 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by redzone (Post 1589419942)
With small stuff yeah. But if you have a catastrophic failure, GM will be the one making the decision with no input from your dealer. I know that historically many mfg's have overlooked a CAI when it comes to warranty work, but up until now they really haven't been that effective(as a stand alone mod) of increasing horsepower. But adding 50 RWHP is something they are going to care about. There is no free lunch.

And for those saying just take it off before going to the dealer if you have a problem, not if, but when, GM sees that the air/fuel ratios were off (not to mention the extra pound or so of boost achieved), they'll be well within their rights to deny powertrain coverage.

Not only that but if they ask you if you had an after market intake and you say "no", now you have committed fraud.