CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Locking lug nuts for C5 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/3695024-locking-lug-nuts-for-c5.html)

miracle_whip4130 08-09-2015 08:59 PM

Locking lug nuts for C5

My stock lug nuts are getting a bit beat up from all the use they get switching brakes out for trackdays, etc. The main issue is that the 1 locking lug per wheel is starting to get stuck in the lug key because the key slots are starting to get rounded. Anyway, does anyone recommend some good locking lug nuts that hold up to a lot of abuse? I'm not interested in anything lightweight or funky colors, etc. Just looking for a cheap open lug nut that also locks and won't round off. I know the locks probably won't hold up thieves for long, but I feel like every little bit helps and I'd like to continue using locking lugs, if possible.

Thanks!

fleming23 08-09-2015 09:08 PM

They are not "locking" but I have had good luck with the McGard splined drive lug nuts, both open and closed ends. I think it locks the wheels as much as a locking style lug nut in that if someone really wants the wheels, it doesn't matter what you have. Plus, with these you can keep one key that works all lug nuts.

rfn026 08-10-2015 07:08 AM

Locking nuts seem to be a total waste of time these days. When was the last time anyone had just the wheels stolen?

Richard Newton
Auction Games

rocsvette 08-10-2015 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130 (Post 1590235374)
My stock lug nuts are getting a bit beat up from all the use they get switching brakes out for trackdays, etc. The main issue is that the 1 locking lug per wheel is starting to get stuck in the lug key because the key slots are starting to get rounded. Anyway, does anyone recommend some good locking lug nuts that hold up to a lot of abuse? I'm not interested in anything lightweight or funky colors, etc. Just looking for a cheap open lug nut that also locks and won't round off. I know the locks probably won't hold up thieves for long, but I feel like every little bit helps and I'd like to continue using locking lugs, if possible.

Thanks!

A lot of track day organizations don't permit locking lug nuts. Those nuts don't stop thieves at all. All it takes is to bang a socket onto the lug nut with a hammer and you can remove the nut. I would just use regular lug nuts.

Bill Dearborn 08-10-2015 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by rocsvette (Post 1590237220)
A lot of track day organizations don't permit locking lug nuts. Those nuts don't stop thieves at all. All it takes is to bang a socket onto the lug nut with a hammer and you can remove the nut. I would just use regular lug nuts.

:iagree:

They are pretty much useless for their intended purpose and just hinder you when removing and reinstalling wheels.

Bill

miracle_whip4130 08-10-2015 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by rfn026 (Post 1590237200)
Locking nuts seem to be a total waste of time these days. When was the last time anyone had just the wheels stolen?

Richard Newton
Auction Games

I'm moving back to MI this month and remember seeing a new Cadillac SRX on cinder blocks with all wheels missing one morning in a nice apartment complex in Dearborn recently......

Gordy M 08-10-2015 09:50 AM

Don't park the car overnight on the street or in the drive...come to Plymouth (one of the top 5 safest places in Michigan) and I will find you a great home.

Scooter70 08-10-2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130 (Post 1590237403)
I'm moving back to MI this month and remember seeing a new Cadillac SRX on cinder blocks with all wheels missing one morning in a nice apartment complex in Dearborn recently......

Originally Posted by Gordy M (Post 1590237953)
Don't park the car overnight on the street or in the drive...come to Plymouth (one of the top 5 safest places in Michigan) and I will find you a great home.

It's getting bad around here with wheels getting stolen. My boss lives off of Beck / N. Territorial and had his son's friend's wheels stolen from a new Focus parked in front of his house two weeks ago. The nicer suburbs aren't immune.

That said, don't use locking nuts at the track. They just cause more headache than they're worth and thieves just hammer on a socket to remove them anyway.

oh1vette 08-10-2015 12:35 PM

1st thing i ditched when I got the car...

c4cruiser 08-10-2015 12:50 PM

The Corvette locking lug nuts are common to a number of GM cars so any GM dealer parts counter will have sets that include the socket for the locking nuts.

I would get a separate set of 20 open end lug nuts just for track use. When you go to change pads or tires, just install those lug nuts. After you are done with an event, just install a locking lugnut on each wheel.

The biggest PITA with locking lugnuts is remembering where you put the socket....:willy:

VideoGameGeek 08-10-2015 12:56 PM

Spend all that time on locking lugs and a $17 kit from Pep Boys will just take any of them off.

Not worth the time, effort, or frustrations.