Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking lug nuts for C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:59 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Locking lug nuts for C5

My stock lug nuts are getting a bit beat up from all the use they get switching brakes out for trackdays, etc. The main issue is that the 1 locking lug per wheel is starting to get stuck in the lug key because the key slots are starting to get rounded. Anyway, does anyone recommend some good locking lug nuts that hold up to a lot of abuse? I'm not interested in anything lightweight or funky colors, etc. Just looking for a cheap open lug nut that also locks and won't round off. I know the locks probably won't hold up thieves for long, but I feel like every little bit helps and I'd like to continue using locking lugs, if possible.

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2015, 09:08 PM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

They are not "locking" but I have had good luck with the McGard splined drive lug nuts, both open and closed ends. I think it locks the wheels as much as a locking style lug nut in that if someone really wants the wheels, it doesn't matter what you have. Plus, with these you can keep one key that works all lug nuts.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:08 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Locking nuts seem to be a total waste of time these days. When was the last time anyone had just the wheels stolen?

Richard Newton
Auction Games
Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
My stock lug nuts are getting a bit beat up from all the use they get switching brakes out for trackdays, etc. The main issue is that the 1 locking lug per wheel is starting to get stuck in the lug key because the key slots are starting to get rounded. Anyway, does anyone recommend some good locking lug nuts that hold up to a lot of abuse? I'm not interested in anything lightweight or funky colors, etc. Just looking for a cheap open lug nut that also locks and won't round off. I know the locks probably won't hold up thieves for long, but I feel like every little bit helps and I'd like to continue using locking lugs, if possible.

Thanks!
A lot of track day organizations don't permit locking lug nuts. Those nuts don't stop thieves at all. All it takes is to bang a socket onto the lug nut with a hammer and you can remove the nut. I would just use regular lug nuts.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by rocsvette
A lot of track day organizations don't permit locking lug nuts. Those nuts don't stop thieves at all. All it takes is to bang a socket onto the lug nut with a hammer and you can remove the nut. I would just use regular lug nuts.

They are pretty much useless for their intended purpose and just hinder you when removing and reinstalling wheels.

Bill
Old 08-10-2015, 08:09 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Locking nuts seem to be a total waste of time these days. When was the last time anyone had just the wheels stolen?

Richard Newton
Auction Games
I'm moving back to MI this month and remember seeing a new Cadillac SRX on cinder blocks with all wheels missing one morning in a nice apartment complex in Dearborn recently......
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Don't park the car overnight on the street or in the drive...come to Plymouth (one of the top 5 safest places in Michigan) and I will find you a great home.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:42 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
I'm moving back to MI this month and remember seeing a new Cadillac SRX on cinder blocks with all wheels missing one morning in a nice apartment complex in Dearborn recently......
Originally Posted by Gordy M
Don't park the car overnight on the street or in the drive...come to Plymouth (one of the top 5 safest places in Michigan) and I will find you a great home.
It's getting bad around here with wheels getting stolen. My boss lives off of Beck / N. Territorial and had his son's friend's wheels stolen from a new Focus parked in front of his house two weeks ago. The nicer suburbs aren't immune.

That said, don't use locking nuts at the track. They just cause more headache than they're worth and thieves just hammer on a socket to remove them anyway.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:35 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

1st thing i ditched when I got the car...
Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Corvette locking lug nuts are common to a number of GM cars so any GM dealer parts counter will have sets that include the socket for the locking nuts.

I would get a separate set of 20 open end lug nuts just for track use. When you go to change pads or tires, just install those lug nuts. After you are done with an event, just install a locking lugnut on each wheel.

The biggest PITA with locking lugnuts is remembering where you put the socket....
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM
VideoGameGeek
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spend all that time on locking lugs and a $17 kit from Pep Boys will just take any of them off.

Not worth the time, effort, or frustrations.

Get notified of new replies

To Locking lug nuts for C5

Quick Reply: Locking lug nuts for C5