CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Is a Catch Can really necessary? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3703579-is-a-catch-can-really-necessary.html)

wkidvette 08-27-2015 08:34 AM

Is a Catch Can really necessary?

How important is it to install a catch can on a LT4, what are the short and long term benefits?

Are there any negatives if one is installed?

Are the benefits of installing a catch can more dependent on how the car will be driven?

Has GM made an official announcement regarding how the install of a catch can impacts the cars warranty?

NORCAL-SS 08-27-2015 08:37 AM

Open your blower cover. If you think that oil in there is ok them yoi don't need one. You think gm will say get a catch can.... no they will say all that oil is fine

xp800 08-27-2015 08:46 AM

Why a new thread on the same contentious topic that's been covered in many threads here and in C7 tech?

Here's but one example, but it's on the second page of Z06 so it's easily missed I guess...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...an-thread.html

BOBSZ06 08-27-2015 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by wkidvette (Post 1590358553)
How important is it to install a catch can on a LT4, what are the short and long term benefits?

Are there any negatives if one is installed?

Are the benefits of installing a catch can more dependent on how the car will be driven?

Has GM made an official announcement regarding how the install of a catch can impacts the cars warranty?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-valves.html

"We intently looked for unusual deposit formation during the entire Gen 5 Small Block development phase (4 years) as well as the 200,000 mile in-vehicle long term testing. We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation." Tadge Juechter

Anyone that thinks Tadge would lie about something like this is an idiot. GM has the proof.
If you want a clean internal SC then get your catch can.

jim2092 08-27-2015 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06 (Post 1590358774)

"We intently looked for unusual deposit formation during the entire Gen 5 Small Block development phase (4 years) as well as the 200,000 mile in-vehicle long term testing. We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation." Tadge Juechter

Anyone that thinks Tadge would lie about something like this is an idiot. GM has the proof.

Not to nitpick but what Tadge said in preparation for the above quote was "we have not seen any issue with deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a port injection system." Could mean the build up (oil) was the same.

Also no mention of a supercharged engine during this four year test period. Important issues as it relates to the ZO6 and oil ingestion?

Busa Dave 08-27-2015 11:03 AM

LOL this one may come back to bite him! I have seen not just pictures but a real part. It is also a issue on the truck DI engines not just the car. When I removed the cover on mine it looked like the area around some of our shallow vertical oil wells on the ranch that leak oil when they are pumping.

COSPEED 08-27-2015 11:19 AM

If you click on my user name, find more posts, I have posted tons of info, videos, pictures, dyno graphs, etc. showing what actually is happening. Don't want to duplicate it all in so many threads, but all you could want to see and learn is there. Ask me any questions related to this and can share tons of data.

Busa is correct, with a LT1, just remove the intake manifold and see for your self as you can clearly see the valves, with the LT4, just remove the upper plenum cover (takes 5 min or less) and see the oil covering the housing.

:thumbs:

NYROBZ06 08-27-2015 12:00 PM

Can someone please recommend a catch can and a place to purchase one?
Thanks,
Rob

COSPEED 08-27-2015 12:37 PM

Yes. Here is a thread on just that. Matching the correct system for your vehicle/engine combo:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590360221

NYROBZ06 08-27-2015 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by coSPEED2 (Post 1590360231)
Yes. Here is a thread on just that. Matching the correct system for your vehicle/engine combo:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590360221

Thanks!

TTRotary 08-27-2015 06:14 PM

Tadge also said:

"there has been no discussion of a Z06" just 90 days before they announced the Z06

"the C7 Z06 is the most track-capable Corvette ever", right before the overheating issues started, clearly showing that the ZR1, not the C7 Z06 is the most track-capable Corvette ever

"just do the math" on a 'Ring time...

"we have a Ring time that we're very happy with and will announce shortly" That was 3 months ago and still no Ring time.

I think one gets the point...

1. Oil in the LS engines is a constant problem due to the low friction ring and land design of the pistons. It gets worse any time you increase cylinder pressures (I have even experienced severe blow-by this on a LS1 H&C engine), and it gets much worse with boost.

2. The efficiency of the blower used is poor and the intercooler is marginal. There is very little safety margin in the IAT temps of the bone stock car.

3. Oil in the intake charge drastically lowers the octane of the fuel. The engineers who designed the LT4 are well aware of the limitations of the blower and intercooler, and have designed an aggressive power reduction protocol in the even high IATs or detonation are encountered.

So go ahead and believe Tadge if you like, but oil in the intake - any of it - is a very bad thing on a boosted car. In the case of the LT4, the engine management system will aggressively cut power to protect the engine, so you will never see full power potential.

COSPEED 08-28-2015 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by TTRotary (Post 1590362611)
Tadge also said:

"there has been no discussion of a Z06" just 90 days before they announced the Z06

"the C7 Z06 is the most track-capable Corvette ever", right before the overheating issues started, clearly showing that the ZR1, not the C7 Z06 is the most track-capable Corvette ever

"we have a Ring time that we're very happy with and will announce shortly" That was 3 months ago and still no Ring time.

1. Oil in the LS engines is a constant problem due to the low friction ring and land design of the pistons. It gets worse any time you increase cylinder pressures (I have even experienced severe blow-by this on a LS1 H&C engine), and it gets much worse with boost.

2. The efficiency of the blower used is poor and the intercooler is marginal. There is very little safety margin in the IAT temps of the bone stock car.

3. Oil in the intake charge drastically lowers the octane of the fuel. The engineers who designed the LT4 are well aware of the limitations of the blower and intercooler, and have designed an aggressive power reduction protocol in the even high IATs or detonation are encountered.

So go ahead and believe Tadge if you like, but oil in the intake - any of it - is a very bad thing on a boosted car. In the case of the LT4, the engine management system will aggressively cut power to protect the engine, so you will never see full power potential.

Excellent compilation. I do have to defend Tadge a bit though as coming from the industry side he is so restricted in what he can and cannot disseminate to the public, and anything negative, even minor is generally forbidden. As the GDI intake valve coking and damage caused by it is such a priority in solving right now NO auto maker is allowing any mention of it other than the standard " We are not experiencing this issue" so he cannot, and for good reason, admit to this and other issues due to the sales harm this would cause.

Good and post though!:cheers:

BOBSZ06 08-28-2015 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by TTRotary (Post 1590362611)
Tadge also said:

I do believe that GM has done the testing in the Gen 5;
I do believe Tadge when he says, "We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation."

Will oil get into the supercharger...yes says Tadge, but he also says is it "cosmetic".

You don't have to believe Tadge and make your own decision...mine is made!

This has been discussed thoroughly in the Ask Tadge Thread...no need to interrupt the essence of this Thread...so this will my last contribution here.

That said it does not mean I won't be installing one of these catchcan systems. I do like the idea of keeping the oil out of the SC innards even if Tadge says it will not affect the performance. If it does its job only for cosmetic purposes then that is fine with me...if more...great!

BOBSZ06

wkidvette 08-28-2015 03:13 PM

Will anyone step up and guarantee that installing a catch can will not create any new car warranty issues?

COSPEED 08-28-2015 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by wkidvette (Post 1590368362)
Will anyone step up and guarantee that installing a catch can will not create any new car warranty issues?

We can guarantee that it falls into the Magnuson Moss act and is against Federal law to deny warranty for a properly installed properly design one such as we are covering, but just as not a single CAI, Header, cat back exhaust, or any other mod you would do won't put up such an all encompassing guarantee you won't find a can company to either. No one has control over an uneducated and ignorant service writer or Manager.

So if you are the type that would not even change your own spark plugs with fear of their warranty being voided (yes, a C6 owner had just that happen and was not aware of the MagnusonMoss act to take them to task, and traded it on a new Dodge Charger Hemi he was so offended.) then do NOT change anything on your car. Leave it just as it came from the manufacturer.

It is not hard to read the act it'self, it is still current Federal law to see.

Now if you install one of the systems/tanks that defeat the PCV systems functions that will in every case void your warranty as that is a guaranteed way to cause engine damage and premature wear over time.

Bill Dearborn 08-28-2015 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06 (Post 1590367343)
I do believe that GM has done the testing in the Gen 5;
I do believe Tadge when he says, "We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation."

Will oil get into the supercharger...yes says Tadge, but he also says is it "cosmetic".

You don't have to believe Tadge and make your own decision...mine is made!

This has been discussed thoroughly in the Ask Tadge Thread...no need to interrupt the essence of this Thread...so this will my last contribution here.

That said it does not mean I won't be installing one of these catchcan systems. I do like the idea of keeping the oil out of the SC innards even if Tadge says it will not affect the performance. If it does its job only for cosmetic purposes then that is fine with me...if more...great!

BOBSZ06

This has been a discussion point for years. People looked into their intake tract and saw oil on the C5s, C6s and now C7s. Immediately this is a bad thing and a catch can is required. Then when GM says we see no issue they claim GM is lying and show tons of pictures of oil in the intake tract and how much they dump out of their catch can. They forget that GM said there are no issues which is different than no oil in the intake. In 18 years of listening to this catch can business I have never installed one and have never seen any performance degradation with all of the oil that has gone through the intakes on 3 cars. I have never found any solid technical answer for why a catch can is required. Although, I have found a bunch of feel good answers.

Bill

COSPEED 08-28-2015 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1590369228)
In 18 years of listening to this catch can business I have never installed one and have never seen any performance degradation with all of the oil that has gone through the intakes on 3 cars. I have never found any solid technical answer for why a catch can is required. Although, I have found a bunch of feel good answers.

Bill

In the 18 years of listening to this vacuuming the inside of your car business I have never vacummed one and have never seen any performance degradation with all of the dirt that has gone through the carpet on 3 cars. I have never found any solid technical answer for why vacumming is required.

Oh wait, because I like to keep the inside clean just like my intake. :D

All joking aside, some people like to keep their stuff in tip top condition whereas some do not. I have ran a catch can on a 98, 01 and 10. I am happy and will run a catch can in my 2023 corvette hovercraft when the time comes.

COSPEED 08-28-2015 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wkidvette (Post 1590368362)

Here is how warranty sorta works.

If you buy new tires with a "flat" warranty and then decide to install a flux capacitor and your tire goes flat 3 days later. The dealer cannot say your tire is not in warranty because you modded your car. The flux capacitor in no way has anything to do with the tire.

Now if you buy a catch can and install it wrong and your engine blows because of it, yeah ...

If you're worried at all, leave the car as is from the factory and enjoy it.

AORoads 08-28-2015 09:42 PM

Doesn't the catch can compromise the sealed-engine exhaust/oil recovery system mandated by law? If so, couldn't this be an issue at the time of making a claim?

Busa Dave 08-29-2015 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by AORoads (Post 1590370519)
Doesn't the catch can compromise the sealed-engine exhaust/oil recovery system mandated by law? If so, couldn't this be an issue at the time of making a claim?

It is closed...