CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/3707262-is-this-the-2018-mid-engine-corvette-zora.html)

senah 09-03-2015 03:52 PM

Is this the 2018 mid-engine Corvette Zora?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...gets-stronger/

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...rad-c7-192065/

Steve_R 09-03-2015 04:05 PM

No.

eboggs_jkvl 09-03-2015 04:07 PM

Please stop...

obxchartercaptain 09-03-2015 04:09 PM

When I picked up my Vert at the Museum August 12th...my "guide" was "Dan" who worked at the factory for 30 yrs. He knows Tadge personally and was told at the Corvette Bash by Tadge that as long as he (Tadge) is in charge of the Corvette...there will NEVER be a mid engine Corvette. His reasoning according to Dan was that we just about beat everything around us with a rear wheel car (C7r) and the costs involved in developing such a car vs the return are prohibitive....just thought I would pass it on.

Z06 1of38 09-03-2015 04:11 PM

Another c8 thread?

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/t...psreznfoc8.jpg

Zymurgy 09-03-2015 04:12 PM

<p>

Originally Posted by obxchartercaptain (Post 1590412519)
When I picked up my Vert at the Museum August 12th...my &quot;guide&quot; was &quot;Dan&quot; who worked at the factory for 30 yrs. He knows Tadge personally and was told at the Corvette Bash by Tadge that as long as he (Tadge) is in charge of the Corvette...there will NEVER be a mid engine Corvette. His reasoning according to Dan was that we just about beat everything around us with a rear wheel car (C7r) and the costs involved in developing such a car vs the return are prohibitive....just thought I would pass it on.

</p><p>That does not seem to be consistent with the previously published spy photos of what is clearly a mid-engine mule that has a C7 cockpit. If there is to be a mid-engine Corvette (or Cadillac or both), it will be denied by GM until they are ready to release information.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

dvilin 09-03-2015 04:39 PM

:confused2:

senah 09-03-2015 04:47 PM

"Lutz says the company has been thinking about a mid-engine Corvette for more than a decade, and he believes the stars may be lined up now for such a car.

He even saw rough plans for a mid-engine Corvette in 2003.

This is not just wishful thinking on the part of magazines and enthusiasts. There’s science behind all this talk about a mid-engine Corvette.

If it happens, we can thank the likes of chief engineer Tadge Juechter, who way back in 2003 as Chevy was beginning work on a replacement for the C6 did a PowerPoint showing, “very credibly,” according to Lutz, that the C6 ZR1 was at the limit of usable rear-wheel-drive performance.

“The problem was really the front-mid-engine layout—we couldn’t get the engine low enough and far back enough for proper weight transfer to the rear wheels under acceleration,” Lutz writes.

While Lutz was afraid that a mid-engine car would move the Corvette into a much higher price category, Juechter said back then that though the transmission would be more expensive, the final MSRP wouldn’t be more than $5,000 higher."

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2015/...vette-program/

LT1 Z51 09-03-2015 05:37 PM

All I know is there is a Mid-Engine program, it's being run by the same guys who run the Corvette. It also has two steering gears. How do people know it's Mid-Engine?

A steering gear usually has poor placement due to the engine (in front of it for RWD, behind it for FWD) and compromised King Pin Axis. With Mid and Rear Engine (911) this isn't the case as basically the steering gear is the only thing up front that takes up any sort of space.

The "Performance Vehicle" program, as it's called sometimes, has an optimally placed steering gear and extremely low rack loads. This basically points to a Mid-Engine platform.

Oh and anyone who said Cadillac is also right. There are two variants of the gear, volume of things like this don't suggest two trims, but rather two vehicles with different criteria in mind.

So I expect to see a 2017 Cadillac Mid-Engine car and a 2017 Corvette ZR1 that is Mid-Engine.

Also, don't believe anything Tadge says, he doesn't tip his hand like old school guys. He's STONE COLD and not really a nice guy to work with unless you are in Marketing.

If you piece together other things the Corvette (at least) will have an LT6 a Twin Turbocharged version of the LT1 making 750-850 HP going to a custom Dual-Clutch Transmission based on an Allison HD Transmission. This Transmission and Engine will be shared with the "Uber" Camaro (Marketing hasn't decided the hierarchy of the new gen), but be detuned in that car as it's Front Engine.

hisvett 09-03-2015 05:39 PM

Looks to me like someone is trying to sell a few extra fish-wrappers with a little photo shop work. A concept C8 Mid Engine with C7 Z51 wheels....don't think so :crazy2:

But sources tell me the boys and girls back in Milford are working on a mid-engine, carbon fiber frame edition.....remember, you got it here first :cheers:

Black&White 09-03-2015 06:27 PM

YES, A mid engine car is in the works. It will replace the ZR-1 as the Chevrolet Corvette super car. This car will also have a Cadillac mid engine stable mate to share the costs. Both Chevrolet and Cadillac need a little WHAM-BANG in the showrooms to bring people in to buy other models and to show off what the GM brands can do. The Corvette version will be $200K+ same for the Cadillac both will be limited to 1500 cars each. However the car will re appear re worked as the C8 Z06 in about 2022/3 and come in at about $125K for the base Z06 Corvette. A RWD Stingray C8 will also be made for the po folks in the $75K base price range.

meyerweb 09-03-2015 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zymurgy (Post 1590412549)
<p></p><p>That does not seem to be consistent with the previously published spy photos of what is clearly a mid-engine mule that has a C7 cockpit. If there is to be a mid-engine Corvette (or Cadillac or both), it will be denied by GM until they are ready to release information.</p><p>&nbsp;</p>

Tadge has publicly stated that there is no mid-engine Corvette in development. That mule could be a Cadillac. Or a test bed for various technologies that might or might not see production some day. Or it could be something else entirely. Looks a lot like a pickup truck to me.

LT1 Z51 09-03-2015 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by meyerweb
Tadge has publicly stated that there is no mid-engine Corvette in development. That mule could be a Cadillac. Or a test bed for various technologies that might or might not see production some day. Or it could be something else entirely. Looks a lot like a pickup truck to me.

I hope you are smarter than this post let's on. You can't believe anything Tadge says. He wouldn't tell you (or his family even) what is coming until it's publicly announced. During the C7 program he had a witch hunt going in regards to even the smallest leaks. I've never seen a person so determined to have no information come out.

Suppliers of course have loose lips, and if you are in the industry you can find out things.

I now wait for some retort from you that will amuse me. Ignorance is bliss.

MeHeartCorvettes 09-03-2015 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Black&White (Post 1590413668)
YES, A mid engine car is in the works. It will replace the ZR-1 as the Chevrolet Corvette super car. This car will also have a Cadillac mid engine stable mate to share the costs. Both Chevrolet and Cadillac need a little WHAM-BANG in the showrooms to bring people in to buy other models and to show off what the GM brands can do. The Corvette version will be $200K+ same for the Cadillac both will be limited to 1500 cars each. However the car will re appear re worked as the C8 Z06 in about 2022/3 and come in at about $125K for the base Z06 Corvette. A RWD Stingray C8 will also be made for the po folks in the $75K base price range.

Sorry, I just don't see a Corvette going for $200k... Regardless of where the engine is located.

senah 09-03-2015 09:51 PM

thanks for those who added their very interesting input.

no doubt Tadge will attempt to keep almost everything secret until release time. that is expected of all the employee insiders.

i remember when jalopnik came out with drawings of the c7 over a year before its actual release. gm denied that they were accurate, but they turned out to be dead on.

DaveFerrari458 09-03-2015 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by MeHeartCorvettes (Post 1590415182)
Sorry, I just don't see a Corvette going for $200k... Regardless of where the engine is located.

If it's a limited run and they produce the right amount.......500-1000/year for a specific # of years (2-3) they will have a long waiting list and sell every single one at $200K!

Steve_R 09-03-2015 10:10 PM

If I was looking to spend $200k there's no way I'd consider a Chevrolet no matter where the engine is or how many they made.

DaveFerrari458 09-03-2015 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1590415347)
If I was looking to spend $200k there's no way I'd consider a Chevrolet no matter where the engine is or how many they made.

That's your prerogative, but there will be a lot of people that will disagree with you.

LT1 Z51 09-03-2015 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by senah
thanks for those who added their very interesting input.

no doubt Tadge will attempt to keep almost everything secret until release time. that is expected of all the employee insiders.

i remember when jalopnik came out with drawings of the c7 over a year before its actual release. gm denied that they were accurate, but they turned out to be dead on.

Probably one of the most epic Corvette leaks ever. It happened on Tadge's watch, he's still pissed about it. Made him look like a fool. I bet to this day he's still trying to overcome it by rooting out all leaks.

MeHeartCorvettes 09-03-2015 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1590415347)

:iagree: