CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Code 32 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/3752404-code-32-a.html)

lectroglide 12-10-2015 11:35 PM

Code 32

some time ago had a code 32 showed up which was the EGR valve, so I removed and cleaned it up real good put it back on, was driving down the interstate and the SES came on, read the code and was a 32 again, I then cleared it drove down the interstate few days later and it came on again..........from what Ive read it doesn't hurt the car if the EGR isn't working right, so when the SES light comes on "which is only at freeway speed I just attribute it to the EGR and hope its not doing any damage .

Cliff Harris 12-11-2015 12:15 AM

The EGR error only occurs after you have been cruising for about 5 minutes. You must have a steady throttle, which makes it impossible to get this error when driving around town.

If you have an '89 or earlier it could be the EGR temperature switch in the EGR crossover pipe. After the ECM commands EGR it looks for that switch to close as hot exhaust gasses pass through the EGR pipe. Later years used the MAP sensor to detect EGR operation.

A more likely source of your error is a bad EGR solenoid. It applies vacuum to the EGR valve when commanded by the ECM.

lectroglide 12-11-2015 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris (Post 1591089200)
The EGR error only occurs after you have been cruising for about 5 minutes. You must have a steady throttle, which makes it impossible to get this error when driving around town.

If you have an '89 or earlier it could be the EGR temperature switch in the EGR crossover pipe. After the ECM commands EGR it looks for that switch to close as hot exhaust gasses pass through the EGR pipe. Later years used the MAP sensor to detect EGR operation.

A more likely source of your error is a bad EGR solenoid. It applies vacuum to the EGR valve when commanded by the ECM.

thanx for the reply, so how long can I keep driving the car w/o replacing the solenoid? BTW its a 92 C4

Cliff Harris 12-11-2015 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by riversidedan1 (Post 1591092863)
thanx for the reply, so how long can I keep driving the car w/o replacing the solenoid? BTW its a 92 C4

473 years (give or take 7 years).

I don't think it will affect a smog test. The test doesn't last long enough to get into EGR.

lectroglide 12-30-2015 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4 (Post 1591219511)
Short ALDL A&B with key=on will energize the EGR solenoid. Makes it easy to check.
Non-function EGR affects NOX in an emissions test. In Cali, on the rollers, functioning EGR is important for in-limits NOX readings. Some techs will also stick their fingers in the back and depress the diaphragm. If the engine doesn't stall, they will fail it for "non-performing EGR" under the Visual Test.

You can do the same thing. With it idling, depress the diaphragm. If the engine doesn't stall, or only slows down a little bit, remove the EGR valve and clean out the passages in the manifold. I've never cleaned a LT1 manifold, I can't tell you where the likely blockage will be. One of the holes is open to the plenum, the other goes to the pipe that goes to the exhaust manifold. With it running there should be tons of exhaust out of one of the holes, and manifold suction in the other one.

clean the manifold passages?? doesn't that involve removing the manifold?