C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Code 32

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:35 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Code 32

some time ago had a code 32 showed up which was the EGR valve, so I removed and cleaned it up real good put it back on, was driving down the interstate and the SES came on, read the code and was a 32 again, I then cleared it drove down the interstate few days later and it came on again..........from what Ive read it doesn't hurt the car if the EGR isn't working right, so when the SES light comes on "which is only at freeway speed I just attribute it to the EGR and hope its not doing any damage .
Old 12-11-2015, 12:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The EGR error only occurs after you have been cruising for about 5 minutes. You must have a steady throttle, which makes it impossible to get this error when driving around town.

If you have an '89 or earlier it could be the EGR temperature switch in the EGR crossover pipe. After the ECM commands EGR it looks for that switch to close as hot exhaust gasses pass through the EGR pipe. Later years used the MAP sensor to detect EGR operation.

A more likely source of your error is a bad EGR solenoid. It applies vacuum to the EGR valve when commanded by the ECM.
Old 12-11-2015, 02:19 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
The EGR error only occurs after you have been cruising for about 5 minutes. You must have a steady throttle, which makes it impossible to get this error when driving around town.

If you have an '89 or earlier it could be the EGR temperature switch in the EGR crossover pipe. After the ECM commands EGR it looks for that switch to close as hot exhaust gasses pass through the EGR pipe. Later years used the MAP sensor to detect EGR operation.

A more likely source of your error is a bad EGR solenoid. It applies vacuum to the EGR valve when commanded by the ECM.
thanx for the reply, so how long can I keep driving the car w/o replacing the solenoid? BTW its a 92 C4
Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by riversidedan1
thanx for the reply, so how long can I keep driving the car w/o replacing the solenoid? BTW its a 92 C4
473 years (give or take 7 years).

I don't think it will affect a smog test. The test doesn't last long enough to get into EGR.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:18 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by DaveP85C4
Short ALDL A&B with key=on will energize the EGR solenoid. Makes it easy to check.
Non-function EGR affects NOX in an emissions test. In Cali, on the rollers, functioning EGR is important for in-limits NOX readings. Some techs will also stick their fingers in the back and depress the diaphragm. If the engine doesn't stall, they will fail it for "non-performing EGR" under the Visual Test.

You can do the same thing. With it idling, depress the diaphragm. If the engine doesn't stall, or only slows down a little bit, remove the EGR valve and clean out the passages in the manifold. I've never cleaned a LT1 manifold, I can't tell you where the likely blockage will be. One of the holes is open to the plenum, the other goes to the pipe that goes to the exhaust manifold. With it running there should be tons of exhaust out of one of the holes, and manifold suction in the other one.

clean the manifold passages?? doesn't that involve removing the manifold?

Get notified of new replies

To Code 32

Quick Reply: Code 32