CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Parking lot damage (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/3820417-parking-lot-damage.html)

Wilkmanracing 05-09-2016 02:33 AM

Parking lot damage

On a metal car, door dings are common when one is not selective in parking a car. What about the Corvette? I assume the plastic body is not prone to dings, but is the paint prone to chipping? Can other damage be done by a careless driver who parks next to a new Corvette?

L8ter 05-09-2016 03:22 AM

Absolutely

felkebg 05-09-2016 09:52 AM

We had a discussion in another thread that hail was not doing the damage on C7 materials that is typical for metal body parts but without the installation of a force field generator we certainly remain at risk for the usual offenders.

I came out of a store a week ago and a lady parked next to me left her cart near the front of my C7 and between our two vehicles. I quickly loaded my stuff in from my cart, grabbed her cart and walked it and mine the 20 feet to the cart stall while maintaining eye contact with her the whole time.

I hope she knows how to read nonverbal communication and got the message.

chrsschb 05-09-2016 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by felkebg (Post 1592175225)
We had a discussion in another thread that hail was not doing the damage on C7 materials that is typical for metal body parts but without the installation of a force field generator we certainly remain at risk for the usual offenders.

I came out of a store a week ago and a lady parked next to me left her cart near the front of my C7 and between our two vehicles. I quickly loaded my stuff in from my cart, grabbed her cart and walked it and mine the 20 feet to the cart stall while maintaining eye contact with her the whole time.

I do the same thing. These lazy sacks of **** get on my nerves.

l.i. bruce fan 05-09-2016 10:14 AM

Where and how much for the force field generator? Is that an option on the '17s?

I definitely need that, for all of my cars!!!!:D

1KULC7 05-09-2016 10:16 AM

She does't, could car less about you and the Corvette, after all it all about her. Lack of responsibility, and respect seems to be highly contagious. When I take the Corvette to public parking, I normally park way out in the boonies and walk, good exercise, and once and a great while I get some idiot with his/her junker parking next to me. No matter what you do you cannot win. It's either all about them, or they are jealous and want to be spiteful, just the nature of people in todays society. Glad you did what you did, give her the evil eye. :rock:

kp 05-09-2016 10:46 AM

I hate door dings, I'd rather take my chances with the plastic than sheetmetal. My last M3 got a few, so did the Challenger I had a while ago. I have had a few door 'dings' on my daily driver Vettes over the years but they were more like scuffs and I could always fix it with no paint/bodywork. I'm sure someone could crack a panel or deeply scratch it with their door, but it never happened to me that bad on a Corvette - yet..

defaria 05-09-2016 11:25 AM

Why rely on nonverbal communication and the huge chance that the message would not be received, when all one needs to do is express the point verbally?

defaria 05-09-2016 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 1KULC7 (Post 1592175402)
She does't, could car less about you and the Corvette, after all it all about her. Lack of responsibility, and respect seems to be highly contagious. When I take the Corvette to public parking, I normally park way out in the boonies and walk, good exercise, and once and a great while I get some idiot with his/her junker parking next to me. No matter what you do you cannot win. It's either all about them, or they are jealous and want to be spiteful, just the nature of people in todays society. Glad you did what you did, give her the evil eye. :rock:

Seems to me you're assuming a bunch of facts not in evidence. In my mind that makes you just about as suspect...

LIStingray 05-09-2016 12:27 PM

It is automotive paint - it will chip and scratch like any other car,
Also, it is FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) - which despite what you may think, since it is pretty thin, if struck hard enough will micro-fracture and you will get a surface imperfection similar to a small door crease/dent.
It is not built like a boat, which has a very thick (3/16 to 3/4" thick) fiberglass hull, and doesn't really dent.

DBLXX 05-09-2016 12:32 PM

I just got the OEM moulding for my 2016 Prius Three Touring.

Most if not all cars today don't come with any type of door protection....and one little DING on a large smooth and thin piece of tin will show forever.

I know it doesn't look that great...but for $250 I think it will offer nice protection.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps9vvjnbzl.jpg

fsvoboda 05-09-2016 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan (Post 1592175373)
Where and how much for the force field generator? Is that an option on the '17s?

I definitely need that, for all of my cars!!!!:D

:iagree:

It's bundled with the Flux Capacitor. It really sucks that Chevy makes you buy both to get the one that you want!

:rofl:

L8ter 05-09-2016 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by fsvoboda (Post 1592176450)
:iagree:

It's bundled with the Flux Capacitor. It really sucks that Chevy makes you buy both to get the one that you want!

:rofl:

But I'm not interested and time travel, I just want to park close to the store once in a while, that really does bite the big one.

HBsurfer 05-09-2016 01:39 PM

Not for Corvettes but you folks with door dings on other cars should look up paintless dent repair. I have been using these guys for over ten years. They will come to your house and push out a ding so perfectly that you will never know it was there in the first place. If you have had hail damage repaired by your insurance company, they probably used a pointless dent repair guy. My guy charges me $100 per panel (door, quarter panels, hood, roof). No reason at all to live with dings in your metal cars anymore.

maugust24 05-09-2016 02:12 PM

Most people nowdays just dont respect anything or anybody. I had my 69 out and stopped to buy a few things at the store. Checkout was right in front of the door and I look out and this A-hole was holding his driver door against my passanger door as he is loading his family in the car. So as his car is moving up and down as people pile in the knucklehead is scratching my door. I ran out and just unloaded on the dude. Of coarse the look on his face was whats the big deal. I made him give me his license just in case I couldnt polish it out which thank god it did.

Rebel Yell 05-09-2016 02:16 PM

It's a car my friend, and is susceptible to the maladies of other cars expect for dents. As most of the car isn't fiberglass anymore, I'm not really sure what the worst damage would be from an errant door opened by an idiot driver.

xwing 05-09-2016 04:00 PM

Non-verbal? You are much more polite than me. I always park far away from everyone else, and grab a cart or two on my way into the store because of all the morons leaving them roaming freely.

roadsterboy 05-09-2016 09:02 PM

The proper way to park your corvette in a parking lot, walking is good for you and you get to admire the car on the way to it:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0b017bc40c.jpg

Mister Big 05-09-2016 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by roadsterboy (Post 1592180111)
The proper way to park your corvette in a parking lot, walking is good for you and you get to admire the car on the way to it:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...0b017bc40c.jpg

Unfortunately here in Los Angeles there's no such thing as an empty parking lot.:smash:

Vetteman Jack 05-10-2016 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by LIStingray (Post 1592176399)
It is automotive paint - it will chip and scratch like any other car,
Also, it is FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) - which despite what you may think, since it is pretty thin, if struck hard enough will micro-fracture and you will get a surface imperfection similar to a small door crease/dent.
It is not built like a boat, which has a very thick (3/16 to 3/4" thick) fiberglass hull, and doesn't really dent.

:iagree: Hit the side hard enough with a door and it will do some damage.