Sponsored by:

Parking lot damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 AM
Wilkmanracing
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Parking lot damage

On a metal car, door dings are common when one is not selective in parking a car. What about the Corvette? I assume the plastic body is not prone to dings, but is the paint prone to chipping? Can other damage be done by a careless driver who parks next to a new Corvette?
Old 05-09-2016, 03:22 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Absolutely
Old 05-09-2016, 09:52 AM
felkebg
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

We had a discussion in another thread that hail was not doing the damage on C7 materials that is typical for metal body parts but without the installation of a force field generator we certainly remain at risk for the usual offenders.

I came out of a store a week ago and a lady parked next to me left her cart near the front of my C7 and between our two vehicles. I quickly loaded my stuff in from my cart, grabbed her cart and walked it and mine the 20 feet to the cart stall while maintaining eye contact with her the whole time.

I hope she knows how to read nonverbal communication and got the message.
The following 5 users liked this post by felkebg:
Carvin (05-11-2016), Corbrett (05-09-2016), DestinVette (05-09-2016), garymilgrom (05-09-2016), Rebel Yell (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:54 AM
chrsschb
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by felkebg
We had a discussion in another thread that hail was not doing the damage on C7 materials that is typical for metal body parts but without the installation of a force field generator we certainly remain at risk for the usual offenders.

I came out of a store a week ago and a lady parked next to me left her cart near the front of my C7 and between our two vehicles. I quickly loaded my stuff in from my cart, grabbed her cart and walked it and mine the 20 feet to the cart stall while maintaining eye contact with her the whole time.

I do the same thing. These lazy sacks of **** get on my nerves.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

Where and how much for the force field generator? Is that an option on the '17s?

I definitely need that, for all of my cars!!!!
Old 05-09-2016, 10:16 AM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

She does't, could car less about you and the Corvette, after all it all about her. Lack of responsibility, and respect seems to be highly contagious. When I take the Corvette to public parking, I normally park way out in the boonies and walk, good exercise, and once and a great while I get some idiot with his/her junker parking next to me. No matter what you do you cannot win. It's either all about them, or they are jealous and want to be spiteful, just the nature of people in todays society. Glad you did what you did, give her the evil eye.

Last edited by 1KULC7; 05-09-2016 at 10:18 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1KULC7:
garymilgrom (05-09-2016), Rebel Yell (05-09-2016), Timohio (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:46 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

I hate door dings, I'd rather take my chances with the plastic than sheetmetal. My last M3 got a few, so did the Challenger I had a while ago. I have had a few door 'dings' on my daily driver Vettes over the years but they were more like scuffs and I could always fix it with no paint/bodywork. I'm sure someone could crack a panel or deeply scratch it with their door, but it never happened to me that bad on a Corvette - yet..
Old 05-09-2016, 11:25 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Why rely on nonverbal communication and the huge chance that the message would not be received, when all one needs to do is express the point verbally?
Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by 1KULC7
She does't, could car less about you and the Corvette, after all it all about her. Lack of responsibility, and respect seems to be highly contagious. When I take the Corvette to public parking, I normally park way out in the boonies and walk, good exercise, and once and a great while I get some idiot with his/her junker parking next to me. No matter what you do you cannot win. It's either all about them, or they are jealous and want to be spiteful, just the nature of people in todays society. Glad you did what you did, give her the evil eye.
Seems to me you're assuming a bunch of facts not in evidence. In my mind that makes you just about as suspect...
Old 05-09-2016, 12:27 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

It is automotive paint - it will chip and scratch like any other car,
Also, it is FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) - which despite what you may think, since it is pretty thin, if struck hard enough will micro-fracture and you will get a surface imperfection similar to a small door crease/dent.
It is not built like a boat, which has a very thick (3/16 to 3/4" thick) fiberglass hull, and doesn't really dent.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:32 PM
DBLXX
Pro

Received 216 Likes on 120 Posts

I just got the OEM moulding for my 2016 Prius Three Touring.

Most if not all cars today don't come with any type of door protection....and one little DING on a large smooth and thin piece of tin will show forever.

I know it doesn't look that great...but for $250 I think it will offer nice protection.

Old 05-09-2016, 12:37 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by l.i. bruce fan
Where and how much for the force field generator? Is that an option on the '17s?

I definitely need that, for all of my cars!!!!

It's bundled with the Flux Capacitor. It really sucks that Chevy makes you buy both to get the one that you want!

Old 05-09-2016, 01:09 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda

It's bundled with the Flux Capacitor. It really sucks that Chevy makes you buy both to get the one that you want!

But I'm not interested and time travel, I just want to park close to the store once in a while, that really does bite the big one.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:39 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Not for Corvettes but you folks with door dings on other cars should look up paintless dent repair. I have been using these guys for over ten years. They will come to your house and push out a ding so perfectly that you will never know it was there in the first place. If you have had hail damage repaired by your insurance company, they probably used a pointless dent repair guy. My guy charges me $100 per panel (door, quarter panels, hood, roof). No reason at all to live with dings in your metal cars anymore.

Last edited by HBsurfer; 05-09-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM
maugust24
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

Most people nowdays just dont respect anything or anybody. I had my 69 out and stopped to buy a few things at the store. Checkout was right in front of the door and I look out and this A-hole was holding his driver door against my passanger door as he is loading his family in the car. So as his car is moving up and down as people pile in the knucklehead is scratching my door. I ran out and just unloaded on the dude. Of coarse the look on his face was whats the big deal. I made him give me his license just in case I couldnt polish it out which thank god it did.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

It's a car my friend, and is susceptible to the maladies of other cars expect for dents. As most of the car isn't fiberglass anymore, I'm not really sure what the worst damage would be from an errant door opened by an idiot driver.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:00 PM
xwing
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Non-verbal? You are much more polite than me. I always park far away from everyone else, and grab a cart or two on my way into the store because of all the morons leaving them roaming freely.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking lot damage

Old 05-09-2016, 09:02 PM
roadsterboy
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 98 Posts

The proper way to park your corvette in a parking lot, walking is good for you and you get to admire the car on the way to it:

The following users liked this post:
Carvin (05-11-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsterboy
The proper way to park your corvette in a parking lot, walking is good for you and you get to admire the car on the way to it:

Unfortunately here in Los Angeles there's no such thing as an empty parking lot.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by LIStingray
It is automotive paint - it will chip and scratch like any other car,
Also, it is FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) - which despite what you may think, since it is pretty thin, if struck hard enough will micro-fracture and you will get a surface imperfection similar to a small door crease/dent.
It is not built like a boat, which has a very thick (3/16 to 3/4" thick) fiberglass hull, and doesn't really dent.
Hit the side hard enough with a door and it will do some damage.

Quick Reply: Parking lot damage